Need a little help... BugOut Q5 drop-in not working with my SF C2

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Hello...

Just received my Q5 drop in from BugOut.... This thing is amazingly bright!! :naughty:

The strange thing is that it works perfectly in all my G2's but it won't work worth a darn in my C2 or C3... I'm lost :sigh:

I tried backing the copper engine out a 1/2 turn as suggested in the instructions, it didn't help. I then tried removing the o-ring inside the head as an opposite fix, still no help...

I then discovered it appears that if I only half tighten the head down the Q5 works, but only intermittently. Once the head is tightened all the way down no light! If I remove the head and just set the Q5 on the batteries with the switch on and press a bit it will light, but if I press it all the way down the module goes off again. This doesn't happen in the C2 with the P60 bulb so I'm out of ideas.

Please help! :crazy: Thanks...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine also today.
I ordered the G2/G2Z/G3 model and it works fine in my G2/G2Z and Brinkman Maxfire :twothumbs

In my Z3 no joy at all. Same for my PILA & Wolf Eyes lightslights

This thing is very bright. I will say it is close but not as bright as my Pelican 7060

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing is I ordered the 6P, C2, Z2, C3, 9P...

Yet it works like a champ in my G2's and G2Z, but no love in C2 or C3... perhaps they sent me the wrong one? :shrug:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this will help or not but it helped me. I received the module for my G2 but it would only work like you described, the head off the switch on and the module touching the battery. In another thread someone suggested putting everything together and listen if the module shakes in the light. On mine it did. I had to sand the bottom of the head of the flashlight down maybe 1/32 of an inch until the module did not shake loosely in the head. NOW this worked for me. However the fact that yours works only half screwed down seems different.

1) I would try the shake test. If everything is tight no sanding needed. I'm not sure of the results if you try sanding the aluminum anyway. BE CAREFUL!

2) Take the brass heatsink all the way out of the module. There is a rubber O-ring in there. It is only there as a spacer and is not needed. Try removing the 0-ring and putting the brass heatsink as far back in as it will screw. Then put everything together.

This is all I can think of. If that does not work I'm sure Bugoutgear will exchange it. There customer service seems very good.

Bill

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, more weirdness. It works fine and reliably in my G2 and my Maxfire.
In my G2Z I get intermittent reliability.

Very strange.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a simple case of non contact, make sure that the battery isn't bouncing around in the light and not contacting both spring at the same time, and make sure that they are making electrical contact on both ends, doesn't sound like the fault of the drop-in. Try using the G2 tail cap on other lights to see if the spring is longer and allowing it to contact.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Q5 has no spring on the drop in.
My G2 is an early one that does not have a lock out tail cap. The G2z Does.

Where would I use the foil to improve contact?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a simular problem with my 6P and a premium module. Flavio sent me a few contact springs to install. Now it works flawlessly.

kelmo

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just use the module in my G2.
Later I'll pick up another for the G2Z and the Z3

HMMmmmmm, an excuse to purchase a G3 :whistle:

fespo276

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with my M2. Just as you described. I was not sent the spring at first, which I thought was the problem. I asked for, and was sent, the spring and it fixed the problem 100%. I have turned the light on and off hundreds of times since then (at work and as testing) and it has worked perfectly. Not once has it failed to light (and thats with the brass turned tight).

GBone

Newly Enlightened
OK, when I remove the little rubber "spacer" o-ring the Q5 doesn't work in ANY light!

Works solid as a rock in the G2Z and G2, but the C2 is the light I purchased it for. :shakehead

Add foil where?

Where did you guys get these little "magic springs"? Perhaps it will solve my problem as well.... :confused:

Tried to call BugOut all day, just got there voicemail.