Could not resist the L1 anymore

kfallscody

Newly Enlightened
Well I have been trying to be strong but all of the positive reviews of the Surefire L1 Cree made me weak :). Pulled the trigger on it just a few minutes ago. Now I get to see how patient I can be until it shows up.. :).

Seriously though, thanks for all the great info. This site and all of it's members are a GREAT resource.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! If it makes you feel any better I have 5 ML1's that made me weak so your in good company LOL!

Snow

Enlightened
Congrats! There is a box under my Christmas tree that looks suspiciously like an L1...Not that I've been snooping.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice :eek: Let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

Regards,
Tempest

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very good choice... :clap::clap::clap:

l1yf4.jpg

You'll be happy with your L1. :)

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I know exactly how you feel - I tried to resit one for the longest time. Caved a few weeks ago. Fantastic light, I told myself that I did not want one ( need has nothing to do with it ) because of the 10 lumen low. I have a Gen 2 with the 1 luminish low and love it for getting around the house at night.

The L1-Cree is amazing, the high has yet to fail to impress me from the point of view of output for size. Enjoy yours - you have chosen wisely.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy that you resisted for so long. I on the other hand continue to hold out.
For some reason can't get my head around a $135.00 65 lumen flashlight.
I know it's surefire. I know it is tiny. I know all that stuff. What I don't know is why I need one. Maybe I don't need one. I think I want one but I don't know why.

Maybe I need to figure out what to do with the older L1's I have first.

In this day and age of so many choices I find myself considering my purchases much more carefully than ever before.
I recently bought a G2 L because it has the potential to perform several roles. The LE alone will work in several different flashlights. It makes sense to me.
This light doesn't ...yet.
Don't get me wrong I like the little thing. I just don't like it $135.00 worth yet. Hell I have so many flashlights at this point that I really would do just fine for the rest of my life without buying another. Call me flashlight rich.
Flashlight sence poor. I would rather buy the new HDS twisty for a little more.

Yaesumofo

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have been trying to be strong but all of the positive reviews of the Surefire L1 Cree made me weak :). Pulled the trigger on it just a few minutes ago. Now I get to see how patient I can be until it shows up.. :).

Seriously though, thanks for all the great info. This site and all of it's members are a GREAT resource.

ARGH! I........ must...... resist...... :p

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy that you resisted for so long. I on the other hand continue to hold out.
I know it's surefire. I know it is tiny. I know all that stuff. What I don't know is why I need one. Maybe I don't need one. I think I want one but I don't know why.

Maybe I need to figure out what to do with the older L1's I have first.

In this day and age of so many choices I find myself considering my purchases much more carefully than ever before.
I recently bought a G2 L because it has the potential to perform several roles. The LE alone will work in several different flashlights. It makes sense to me.
This light doesn't ...yet.
Don't get me wrong I like the little thing. I just don't like it $135.00 worth yet. Hell I have so many flashlights at this point that I really would do just fine for the rest of my life without buying another. Call me flashlight rich.
Flashlight sence poor. I would rather buy the new HDS twisty for a little more.

Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo... I know what u can do with your old L1! Give it to me! :laughing:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my 1st SureFire, I couldn't decide between the L1 and the E2L. I finally chose the E2L because of the long runtime on a pair of CR123A. 3 months later I just couldn't resist getting the L1. :) A great light!

kfallscody

Newly Enlightened

This is a disease.... :). There is no reason "why" you want it, you just do.. lol. I guess I will share a bit into "why" I broke down and ordered it though because I was of the same opinion as yourself for a LONG time.

This is actually my first light over $100 that I've bought. Before this my highest dollar, and nicest light, was the DereeLight CL1H v2.0 followed by the Fenix P3D CE. I never really thought a >$100 flashlight would have enough value for that high of a price. That was, until last weekend.

My girlfriend and myself went to the Lava Beds National Monument in northern California to explore the caves again. Me, being a bit of a flashaholic, of course came prepared with flashlights a plenty! I had brough my 3d Mag LED, CL1H v2.0, DX U2 style w/ q5 emitter, Fenix p3d CE, Surefire G2(with DX LED dropin) and VB16. My girlfriend has a love for surefire lights since she got to use a few of their nicer models when she was in the service. So she was using my G2 while I, for the most part, was using the CL1h and Fenix lights while still carrying all of the rest excep the Mag Light.. :).

Alright, back to the story.. :).

The floor of one of the caves was made of rocks about the size of basketballs. Most of them were quite "wobbly" and it was a careful walk to get to the end of the cave. On the way back, my GF lost her footing and she caught herself with my G2 in her hand(opened up her hand so the G2 would hit the wall of the cave instead of her fingers). The rocks put a few little dents in the G2 and it still works perfectly. I, did something similar, but I dropped my P3D which damaged the head so it no longer screws in/out of the body. Also, on the way back, the high mode on my Cl1H stopped working for some unknown reason.

So I was left with 2 broken(but still usable just with diminished output) lights while the surefire was still going strong. I decided I needed something of a bit higher quality than what I had. That is when the L1 Cree really started wearing me down... :). Like people have said, you can count on a surefire when you need to. This incident has given me SERIOUS doubt as to how the rest of my lights would perform when I NEEDED it to, not just when I wanted it to.

Wow, this turned into quite a long read.. :) Thanks for doing so ... lol:popcorn:

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
I have a G2L and a 6PL, and i keep going back and forth on selling the 6PL to my brother (he says anytime) and getting the L1. Just.......can't......make.......up.......mind............:sick2:

di.corp

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone.. I'm about to buy one L1 myself.. maybe a L2..

I have a Fenix L2D CE 135lum in Turbo.. will I be disappointed with "just" 65lum..? I hate L2D's 5 mode operation and I only want 2.. so L1 is perfect for me..

by the way does anyone know if there is a drop-in with Q5 to L1..

Last edited:

Latest posts