SF safety question

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading up on the safety issues with C123 cells and have a question for those more knowledgeable than I.

We all know how hot it can get in a car in summer, especially here in the South (Atlanta). I plan to carry two lights in my car for emergencies, etc. The first will be a Fenix P2D Premium, the other most likely a SF C2. Both of these use C123 cells.
Is this something to be concerned about? I understand the possible dangers surrounding C123s, my question here is STRICTLY looking at having the light (locked in the off position) in that hot car.

thanks
Steve

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
There has been very few reports (actually only one in the forums) about lithium exploding in a very hot environment. But lithiums are very good (10x better) comparing with alkaline when it comes to storing in a hot car. I had stored a pair of Sanyo lithiums in my "Black" truck.. in Florida for over two months.. no leaking and no voltage drop.:thumbsup:

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
There has been very few reports (actually only one in the forums) about lithium exploding in a very hot environment. But lithiums are very good (10x better) comparing with alkaline when it comes to storing in a hot car. I had stored a pair of Sanyo lithiums in my "Black" truck.. in Florida for over two months.. no leaking and no voltage drop.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply and the info. If it's better than alkaline, that's all I need to hear. I currently carry a mag mini with alkys in my work car and haven't had any problems with them. This light will soon be replaced with a SF, probably a G2L.
I'm working on a custom light mount for inside my car's console. It'll be perfect for two lights and a swiss army knife - and will utilize otherwise wasted space. Since it'll be in the console it won't be in direct sunlight so that will help quite a bit.

thanks again
Steve

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the reply and the info. If it's better than alkaline, that's all I need to hear. I currently carry a mag mini with alkys in my work car and haven't had any problems with them. This light will soon be replaced with a SF, probably a G2L.
I'm working on a custom light mount for inside my car's console. It'll hold two lights and a swiss army knife - and will utilize otherwise wasted space. Since it'll be in the console it won't be in direct sunlight so that will help quite a bit.

thanks again
Steve

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stored an alkaline-powered SabreLite in the truck through several Los Angeles summers with nary a hitch (the self-venting feature of the SL likely helped).