New Mini Mag 2AA

a4d

Enlightened
Hey guys i was at walmart and decided to stroll over to the outdoor section. What do you know i ended up bying a new mini mag 2 AA. What mods can i do to his light. I'm definetley goin to do the TerraLUX TLE-5EX led upgreade. Any other mods would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
LedReplacement.com TLE 5EX I think the newer ones are Cree emitter. Mine is a Seoul emitter, completely transforms the light. You'll be amazed at the difference!

a4d

Enlightened
Ya the led is a must. Do you think that Duracell 1800mah rechargables is enough to get the full brightness.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Over at batteryjunction Matt's got some of the seoul ones left, which are apparently better, as it works better with the reflector. The downfall of them though, is that they run a bit warmer and like to be heatsinked via a washer between the body and the module, which requires taking the little black plastic thing out that says "DO NOT REMOVE" and sticking a washer in there. This makes the twisty "switch" non-functioning and requires a tailcap switch, which i would reccommend getting the kroll switch from the sandwich shoppe. I'd always get a tailswitch, even if you stuck with the cree one and didnt 'sink it because they are nice to have.
The only other things that I can think of are glass lens and a strike bezel.

a4d

Enlightened
Brightness yes, runtime no.

The cell capacity has nothing to do with brightness, just runtime.
What batteries do you suggest then, because i have a Fenix L2D Q5 on the way. I want to be able to use the batteries between the two. I already have the duracell 1800mAh's. Should i buy different batteries?

customh

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
What batteries do you suggest then, because i have a Fenix L2D Q5 on the way. I want to be able to use the batteries between the two. I already have the duracell 1800mAh's. Should i buy different batteries?

It depends on how you plan to use the light. If you will be recharging every couple weeks, high capacity cells will give you the best runtime. Something like Duracell 2650's. If you will only be charging the cells every month or more, you may want to look at Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells like Eneloop, Rayovac Hybrids, etc. They have a lower capacity (around 2000-2100mAh) but they don't self discharge nearly as quickly as regular NiMH cells do, which loose a good bit of their charge after a month or two.

You can start out with the 1800's, and see how you use your light. Worst case you just have to recharge more often.

a4d

Enlightened
It depends on how you plan to use the light. If you will be recharging every couple weeks, high capacity cells will give you the best runtime. Something like Duracell 2650's. If you will only be charging the cells every month or more, you may want to look at Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells like Eneloop, Rayovac Hybrids, etc. They have a lower capacity (around 2000-2100mAh) but they don't self discharge nearly as quickly as regular NiMH cells do, which loose a good bit of their charge after a month or two.

You can start out with the 1800's, and see how you use your light. Worst case you just have to recharge more often.

Having to charge them a good alont isn't to much of a bother. I'd want to be able to get the brightest output i can.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Like he said, brightness really isn't affected by the batteries, check out my edit up there.

customh

Newly Enlightened
The led on the dropin is that one, yes. The drop-in I am talking about is this one though:
http://batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html
You'll have to PM MattK and see about getting the Seoul one if you want to go the bit-o-modding route for a better beam.

Last edited:

a4d

Enlightened
Ya thats the one i wanted. No modifications for that one right? just plug and play. Will that melt the plastic lense do you recommend the glass lense.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The only way a LED can melt anything is if it was driven hard and has no way of removing that heat. Yes the module is essentially just plug and play, it comes with the reflector you need.

You might be thinking of the Aurorlite Hotwiremod, that might melt the reflector and window.

I would recommend a UCL lens if you want a bit more output.

a4d

Enlightened
The only way a LED can melt anything is if it was driven hard and has no way of removing that heat. Yes the module is essentially just plug and play, it comes with the reflector you need.

You might be thinking of the Aurorlite Hotwiremod, that might melt the reflector and window.

I would recommend a UCL lens if you want a bit more output.
Where would you get that UCL lense.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Really not much difference but price mineral glass vs ucl iirc. Is material different or still glass? Someone enlighten us. Otherwise id get the kroll and mineral glass lens from the sandwich shoppe and the tle-5ex from battery junction. I linked to the lens up there somewhere.

a4d

Enlightened
They don't have any of the lenses in stock. I tried to add it to cart and there was an error of them not having enough. Is there anywhere else where i can get the lense and led upgrade together.