ELIZABETH SMART FOUND ALIVE!!!

Greta

Flashaholic
Unbelievable! Waiting on the AP Press release. She was found in a car during a traffic stop with the guy (the drifter? handy man?) that the cops have been looking for.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's wonderful. I'm very glad that she is alive and apparently physically OK.

Sounds like she might have been there more or less voluntarily from early news reports though.

Definitely a "movie of the week" story here.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
fantastic, none of the news sites I've been able to hit have anything on it yet, but if you google her none of the top sites listed respond at all, they must be getting hammered by people looking her up!

Wow, can't wait for the whole story.

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's all over TV here. My dad called me and told me to turn it on and then my sister about 1 minute later. Wow. They aern't kidding, the posters are still up all over here.

leddite

Enlightened
The top potential suspect in Elizabeth's disappearance, Richard Ricci, a handyman who once worked in the Smart household, died Aug. 30 after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage while in prison on a parole violation. He said he had nothing to do with the kidnapping.

''"died while in custody" is a euphemism for beat to death because we know
you did this most evil thing and you're going to spill, everything, you
WILL talk to us, dammit, oh yes you will. poop. he died. well, he
was guilty anyway. we know it. we hope.''

i wonder if it will be THAT juicy?

who me? cynical about the system? hardly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ricci was a scum-bag that committed enough crimes that society is better off without him anyway..

He was in prison under charges that had nothing to do with the Smart girl.

If he was "beat to death" while in prison, blame the convicts that assumed he was a pedophile, not the system itself.

I'm not saying that there aren't abuses by prison guards and cops occasionally, but you are SO quick to blame "the system" for everything bad that happens... well.. never mind...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron says [ QUOTE ]
Sounds like she was there more or less voluntarily from early news reports though.

[/ QUOTE ] Minors cannot consent to kidnapping nor voluntarily be kidnapped.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't play semantics and legalese with me; Even though this is just conjecture there is a POSSIBILITY that she went with SOME degree of willingness.

Apparently they were casually walking down the street, with her in a wig and some sort of veil; she wasn't struggling to get away, so either she was totally brainwashed or there was SOME degree cooperation on her part. She is a intelligent, talented and fairly accomplished 15 year old (14 when she disappeared), not a toddler. I can't say what Elizabeth is like, but from what I have observed, most 14-15 year old girls today are more "street-wise" and have a greater sense of "self posession" than I did when I was 20.

I'm basing this just on the news I've heard, so if what they have said on Fox news is wrong, then I'm wrong.

Don't think I don't have any compassion for her or her family, because I do... Her life will be pretty messed up from now on, even IF she was with the guy voluntarily, and the guy needs to be punished VERY severely no matter how much (if any) cooperation by Elizabeth.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
She and her family are very fortunate! It doesn't always turn out like this.

Just a side comment...What's is costing us to keep those "sniper suspects" Malvo & Muhammad in food, clothing, medical, legal...don't even get me started! Well it's the only system we have..."innocent until proven guilty"!

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
Don't think I don't have any compassion for her or her family, because I do... Her life will be pretty messed up from now on, even if she was with the guy voluntarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was taken at gunpoint. Voluntarily? You've got to be kidding, right?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you there? Do you absolutely know the whole facts of the case? All you have to base that statement on is the often changing testimony of a young child who was scared and confused and never saw things clearly anyway.

I'm just talking possibilities, based upon news reports of the last couple of hours. We will probably never know the absolute truth, Only Elizabeth and the perp know for sure..

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Uh... you guys are arguing over this? Let's not... please?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I don't care if she "volunteered" - she's a minor! When she reaches the "legal age of consent" or whatever they call it, she can "volunteer" all she wants, she can become a prostitute, drug addict, waitress, CEO - whatever.

If she was in some sort of environment which was unbearable/unacceptable, then there are other applicable programs for her (not saying they are what's best for anyone). However like the sniper "suspects" Malvo & Muhammad - "innocent until proven guilty"...that's the system we have!

Speaking of "minors"...someone in Alaska is trying to change the legal voting age to 16...Puuleasssse!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that we'll be hearing about this case for months to come BUT when was the last time that you had good news about an abduction?

I'm happy that she's back with her parents alive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Marty

arioch

Enlightened
Marty said: [ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that we'll be hearing about this case for months to come BUT when was the last time that you had good news about an abduction?

I'm happy that she's back with her parents alive .

Marty

[/ QUOTE ]
My sentiments exactly!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Unbelievable! Waiting on the AP Press release. She was found in a car during a traffic stop with the guy (the drifter? handy man?) that the cops have been looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

We've been due for some good news.