A few ARC AAA questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Newly Enlightened
A few ARC AAA questions

Now that I've had my new ARC AAA LE for 24 hours there's a few things that I'm wondering about. First since this is an LE, the bulb is supposed to be a more premium bulb. I find that the light from it is hardly any different from my Inova Microlight. They are virtually the same right down to the blue spot at the center. Of course the beam shape is much more diffuse and pleasant from the ARC. Is the tint variation between rankings really minor? Or did I luck out and get a good Inova white LED??

Now one problem I had with my old Mag Solitaire was taking it out and finding it turned on. Admittedly the ARC twist head is much tighter but what have you guys found? Is accidental turn on a problem?

I also noticed that metal at the hole for the lanyard ring is VERY thin, barely even a millimeter thick. The metal feels very strong but has this ever been a point of failure for anyone? Did it break off there or become deformed? I'm not talking about the thickness of the "tab" but where the hole is punched through at the end the thickness between hole and outer "wall".

Last, how well sealed is the LED in the reflector? I've only had it for one day and it's collecting major pocket lint. My pockets tend to have a very fine dust like lint. I used canned compress air to blow it out but am wondering if I'm possibly forcing some into the lamp assembly.

georget98

Enlightened
Re: A few ARC AAA questions

I'll take the last question. When my reflector gets dusty, I just just stick it under the faucet and rinse it off. It takes more than a little puff of air to upset it. Read the thread on dunking one in liquid nitrogen.

JollyRoger

Enlightened

Shutterbug, the led is a better led than the "standard nichia." However, there are slight variations from led to led, so either you can get a super one, or a mediocre one, or...whatever
Some of my LE's had nice colors, some had more blue, and some had more yellow
...but the led in the LE is for the most part a better led...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for accidental turning on, while the solitaire unscrews to turn on, the ARC actually screws in to turn on. The ARC, as a result, will almost never turn on accidentally in your pocket...

And don't worry about getting something in between the led and the reflector--won't get inside the head b/c it's potted. You can use forced air, dunk it under water, whatever.

shutterbug

Newly Enlightened

Thanks George and Jolly. However to Jolly, I'm a little confused about your reply to accidental turn on. I don't see the difference. While in pocket a screw head can easily unscrew or screw in either way. I don't see how screwing in reduces the risk any more than screwing out. Assuming it's loose enough in the first place. As I said, the ARC is much more stiff in this regard. But I'm asking you guys who have had it much longer than I whether this is an issue for you?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Arc-AAA has never ever turned on in my pocket and it has been in there every day for quite awhile now.

Also, regarding the lanyard hole, no one has managed to break one yet.

Pat

gyverpete

Enlightened

I agree with JollyRoger. I think the Arc is less likely to screw IN and turn on both because of its o-ring tightness and the fact that there is added resistance to tightening from the foam washer.
The mag-light type switch loosens to turn on, and the spring pushes the battery against the switch, and consequently, the head, inclining it to turn on, instead of providing resistance against it.
I find my mag easier to turn on and my Arc easier to turn off. I prefer the Arc switch. It's simple and failure resistant.
Also, my experience has been that when things move around or vibrate, the screws never seem to tighten. They always loosen, sometimes even if they are already somewhat snug, and many times fall out completely.

scooter

Newly Enlightened

I have carried my Arc AAA std in my pocket every day for several months and have never found it turned on when deployed.

Darell

Flashaholic

Looks like you've got all your questions answered.

I've carried one with me every day for over a year, and it has never turned on by itself. And I haven't heard of anybody yet saying that has happened. Wouldn't worry about it for a moment.

And while you aren't worrying - don't worry about that exposed LED and the electronics in the head. They're sealed up tight as can be.

And while you're still not worrying - don't worry about the lanyard hole. If that metal were any thicker you'd have a heck of a time getting split-ring on it.

Worry not, and enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.