Fenix L0D alternative?

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a Fenix L0D, but I ended up loosing it. I'm not looking forward to loosing another light that costs as much, so I'm looking for recommendations for an alternative single AAA light, (same size) LED that doesn't cost as much. I would prefer at least two output levels,

I've read (parts) of the other AAA LED threads, but there were too many different variables to figure out.

Thanks in advance,
Cevulirn

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
good question.
i am looking for the same light as you for an older friend.
(watching intently)

aceo07

Enlightened
I can't suggest a particular flashlight. Check out dealextreme.com or kaidomain.com for potential options.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only low-cost one that comes to mind right now is: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169698

However, if you don't need all that output you can pick up a $5 Mag Solitaire and drop in a $10-14 LED SMJLed dropin. It's actually enough light for many uses.

You could also attach a new L0D, to your keychain so you're less likely to loose it. I use split rings, swivel, and small McGizmo snap clip so it can be removed for easier use sometimes.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
Was on my key chain, but I took it off to clip it to my hat while working on my truck, and it never got back on the key chain. :(

Thanks for the recommendation.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just give me a single mode rechargable 1.2 volt AAA keychain light that is small and dependable with 10 lumens of regulated light for a full 10 hours.:thumbsup:

Fast forward a couple months, and you're describing the E0 when it's upgraded with a DS or better.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple more lower-power options. The fenix-store clearance section has the L0D (Lux III) and the L0P-SE (R-Bin luxeon). With the CLEARANCE25 coupon, they would come in at $30 and $26.25 respectively. Since that includes shipping, they might fit the bill.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try that new Streamlight Microstream.:thumbsup: for the money it's a great deal!

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
that's a great light, but it's more like 90 lumens for 36 minutes.

someone tell me what the fenix e0 is about to be upgraded to?
are there more efficent nichia size leds coming out?
like going from luxeon (50 lumens per watt) to cree (100l per watt) efficency?
is that the upgrade?
twice the lumens for the same amount of power?

Marduke

Flashaholic
that's a great light, but it's more like 90 lumens for 36 minutes.

someone tell me what the fenix e0 is about to be upgraded to?
are there more efficent nichia size leds coming out?
like going from luxeon (50 lumens per watt) to cree (100l per watt) efficency?
is that the upgrade?
twice the lumens for the same amount of power?

Next step is the Nichia DS, slightly better runtime (if uses same circuitry), but going from 5.5 lumens to about 10.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
The only low-cost one that comes to mind right now is: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169698

However, if you don't need all that output you can pick up a $5 Mag Solitaire and drop in a $10-14 LED SMJLed dropin. It's actually enough light for many uses.

You could also attach a new L0D, to your keychain so you're less likely to loose it. I use split rings, swivel, and small McGizmo snap clip so it can be removed for easier use sometimes.

So, how do I get one of the buckle lights? the website lists them as not available.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not spring for an ARC AAA, if youre not big about output, but big about run time, then thats probably the one...
only one more though...

Crenshaw

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You haven't said why it was you picked the LOD in the first place. Was it adequate for your needs? There are all kinds of alternatives with varying pros and cons, and other threads here have a wealth of info on them. But I agree with Crenshaw. Why not spring for an Arc AAA? Doesn't have two levels, but may do everything you need most of the time, and it's smaller and bulletproof.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
It really came in handy for on the high output settings. Not just enough light to navigate, but enough to light up a whole wall. What I really want is something that does both what the ARC does, and the 100 lumen wonder buckle light ;)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it must be cheap, I would just get the KaiDomain buckle light and 10-for-$5 fauxtons from DealExtreme to go on the chain as your "low". The KaiDomain light will take a tiny bit of creativity to attach it to a standard keychain, though.

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
If it must be cheap, I would just get the KaiDomain buckle light and 10-for-$5 fauxtons from DealExtreme to go on the chain as your "low". The KaiDomain light will take a tiny bit of creativity to attach it to a standard keychain, though.

I use a carabiner, so attaching it is easy. The website lists the buckle light as out of stock though, so how can I get one?

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a carabiner, so attaching it is easy. The website lists the buckle light as out of stock though, so how can I get one?

I think an email sent to their website might be the best way at the moment. Kai has been pretty unresponsive of late on his marketplace thread about this light. I'm guessing they are a little too busy to work on this item at the moment. *sigh* This thing would sell well if they took more care about it.