e2L cree vs lumahunter m1 SE q5

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
cant decide between these 2 lights.

i want a long runtime light and after seeing the streamlight 4aa propolymer lux vs e2l beamshots, that is a great brightness level, for 9 hours!!!

but in comes the m1 with 6 hours at low, 100lumen at the emitter i guess, which means it will be brighter than the e2l at low right?

wonderin about the spill on the m1.

the m1 adds that crazy throw on high if u need it, but how much better is the surefire quality?

the biggest thing the e2l cree has that i want is momentary on, which when i do go camping, i use a lot.

decisions decisions

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
oh, as far as momentary on , the m1 can do it with the optional tactical switch, except as far as i know, that will only turn it on at the high level and the low level option is not there at all, which now then kills the runtime i want.

i really cant decide. momentary on? or a light that not only has the light i want with long runtime, but also the option for some very bright light if i need it.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SF e2L looks like a very nice light. I was tempted to buy one myself. I have the M1 SE and I really like it. It is not better than SF quality, but I feel
str.gif
it is equel to SF quality (C2 etc) I have the forward momentary switch and it works great but it does restrict the light to only one level.

I might suggest 2 other lights for you to consider. The P3DQ5 or Olight T20 Q5 can be MUCH brighter than the e2L and yet have the same runtime and similar brightness on their medium levels and have a low level to go to if you want Really long runtime.

These lights have reverse clicky switches though and some people do not like that. (I really do for pocket carry though)

The next light the Fenix T1. It should be as bright as the M1 SE, very tough, has a forward tactical switch and still gives you high/low ability with the light. I may have to pick one of these up.

Just some ideas...hope they help.

daveman

Enlightened
...the m1 adds that crazy throw on high if u need it, but how much better is the surefire quality?
I wouldn't know if "surefire quality" is ANY better.

If you're refering to build or construction durability, then I think Surefire has established itself in that regard merely through its LONG history in the industry.

But as far as build quality goes, the only part where I think Surefire is better is the knurling on its lights, ALL of its lights; all the Surefires I've seen and handled are easy to grip, a very important feature for flashlights. This may sound like a simple accomplishment, but appearantly no one else has the knurling thing down except Surefire right now.

Other features like circuit efficiency, durability, output, runtime, versatility (subjective as it often times is at odds with tactical use), Lumapower, Fenix, Tiablos have either equalled or surpassed Surefire in the recent past.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
E2l, KISS + warranty:twothumbs
All lights break and have issues at times, I like Lumapower but they want defective parts back to look at and switch out which costs me more for shipping - SF just sends me out new parts.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
The SF e2L looks like a very nice light. I was tempted to buy one myself. I have the M1 SE and I really like it. It is not better than SF quality, but I feel
str.gif
it is equel to SF quality (C2 etc) I have the forward momentary switch and it works great but it does restrict the light to only one level.

I might suggest 2 other lights for you to consider. The P3DQ5 or Olight T20 Q5 can be MUCH brighter than the e2L and yet have the same runtime and similar brightness on their medium levels and have a low level to go to if you want Really long runtime.

These lights have reverse clicky switches though and some people do not like that. (I really do for pocket carry though)

The next light the Fenix T1. It should be as bright as the M1 SE, very tough, has a forward tactical switch and still gives you high/low ability with the light. I may have to pick one of these up.

Just some ideas...hope they help.

that t1 is very tempting. very very tempting.

the size/weight is the only downside. the e2l seems about the biggest i would want to keep in my pocket.

i think i will get one now and another later :) maybe the e2l and later a t1 or tiablo a8 or lumahunter or the such.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant decide between these 2 lights.

i want a long runtime light ...

FYI, Malkoff is working on a long runtime drop in:

"I will have Q5 WG binned Crees for the M60.
Output will be 220+ lumens for approx 2 hrs.

I will have a low output version of 130 lumens for 6 hrs on 2 primary CR123's."

Pick up a cheap 6P and toss in endless drop in mods.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
FYI, Malkoff is working on a long runtime drop in:

"I will have Q5 WG binned Crees for the M60.
Output will be 220+ lumens for approx 2 hrs.

I will have a low output version of 130 lumens for 6 hrs on 2 primary CR123's."

Pick up a cheap 6P and toss in endless drop in mods.

thanks for the info. where can i get more info on the person with the cool name malkoff's mods.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
hey thanks for the info.

it seems the mods are mostly for the 6p, out of curiosity, why no mods for the e2 series?

down the road i would love to be able to drop in a slightly brighter led like at 60-80 surefire lumens for 5 hours or so of runtime

im pretty sure santa is bringin me my first surefire, the e2l

:D

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The E series' incan module does not include the reflector, so when you swap the bulb, the reflector stays unlike some of the other modules. The hole in the reflector is too small for most highpower LEDs to fit(Only a trimmed town Rebel will fit). So it is harder to make a reversible LED mod for the light. That's why there are LED replacement heads(Or send it to Milkyspit to be modded).

The E2L will be smaller then the M1 hunter. But the M1 hunter will be brighter and have more throw.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E series' incan module does not include the reflector, so when you swap the bulb, the reflector stays unlike some of the other modules. The hole in the reflector is too small for most highpower LEDs to fit(Only a trimmed town Rebel will fit). So it is harder to make a reversible LED mod for the light. That's why there are LED replacement heads(Or send it to Milkyspit to be modded).

Thanks for the explanation. I have wondered over that from time to time.

Buying the 6P and then drop in different mods seems like a great idea.
Another light to consider(has momentary on and two modes depending on which version you buy) is the Dereelight CL1. Looks high quality, and that you can update the emitter easily by just buying a new pill instead of a whole ligth.

Some beamshots and review. I believe the SF E2 incan is in the pics. Also the P3D.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180781
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178042

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please stop posting pictures!!! I am having the hardest time not buying another E2L and L1 right now and those pictures are not helping:hairpull: