looking for M4 conversion to cree led

Lynn Downey

Newly Enlightened
I have converted my 6p, 9p and z2 to cree Q2 and Q5 bulbs and like the white/blue light that is brighter by far than the standard P60/P61 or P90/P91. I want to stay in the Surefire format (CR123's) and am contemplating an M4 purchase. What led can I convert the M4 with that will get increased lumen power in the white/blue light, stay in the 4-CR123 format, get 350 lumens or more, keep or improve on a tight and long throw and substantially increase the run time over 60 minutes? This is my first thread and I'm not a "seasoned" light hound. Just enjoy great lights on the stream at night during salmon season.

Per Arne

Enlightened
An modded SureFire KL2 LED conversion head by milkyspit - The M375: 375 Lumen ~ 90 minutes. But since this is an 9 volts MAX, you have to use 1x cr123A dummy and 3x cr123A lithium batteries...

SureFire KL6 LED conversion head 65 Lumen ~ 95 minutes and up to 4 hours of useful light. The runtime is longer if fitted to the M4 body with 4x cr123A lithium batteries...

I don't know if it would be possible to modd the KL6 to an higher Lumen output and still use 4x cr123A lithium batteries... if it is possible I would consider modding my KL6.

PA

just for fun

Newly Enlightened
I have not seen a single LED conversion for a Surefire that would make over the 300+ lumen that the stock M4 already puts out... You might be able to have one of the guys in the Mod/custom section build you a LED set up for this surefire. You may want to ask over there also.

BTW :welcome: :wave:

zx7dave

Enlightened
A M4 body + KL6 modified by CPFer Milkyspit is what you are talking about. I don't think that technology is quite available yet to get 300 Lumens from a single emitter, but Milky can get you close and you will have much better runtime and better color light than the stock M4. Apx cost for all this is a bit high (Milky custom work will be about $115 or more). But I have one of these and it is my favorite light. It is just incredible! You would never regret getting it.
My M4/Milky KL6/SW02 runs about 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 250 Lumens on rechargeable AW's and barely gets warm.

Lynn Downey

Newly Enlightened
I do appreciate the information. Money is an object, however I want the M4 and will probably pick it up at Bass Pro as I'm afraid of mail ordering and getting the china model, of which I may not be able to tell the difference until it's too late and surefire won't take it back as it's a knockoff. Some of you are even uhsure of telling the difference. I still want an led upgrade but would like to stay away from rechargables. I'll keep asking and check out your advice as well . What a great bunch of Americans.........just talking about big boy toys. It's great.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, no current LED offers the light output and intensity that a M4 has.

There may be numbers that say LED's are brighter, but they lack the intensity of a hi-powered incan like the M4.

LED's haven't been able to overcome certain deficiencies (color rendition, ambient light washout, depth perception issues) and don't offer the advantages of a hi-powered incan.

I'd suggest keeping it as it is.

-dan

Lynn Downey

Newly Enlightened
I did get down to the Bass Pro shop and now have my M4 Surefire. Also purchased an E1E, just to complete my family of CR123's. The light is beautiful to look at and throws back into the woods like I wanted it to. Perhaps your advice is great........I'll leave it as it is. This is a fantastic forum and I look forward to talking to other helpful flashaholics. I'm beginning to sense the disease:twothumbs.

Latest posts