Flashlight to put UV Star in

Oznog

Enlightened
I am hoping to make a small, super-powerful UV flashlight for fast-charging glow powder pigments. Yes I know there's eye safety issues. I've had some smaller lights, like with 3x 5mm UV LEDs, they're nice but not nearly fast enough. It was good at charging over a small area at close range, when I backed off to spread light over the 2" wide strip and run the light down its 3 ft length it was really quite slow.

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3246

I need to make a small flashlight out of that one, something powered by a CR123, or 2 or 3 side-by-side AAA/AA. Long flashlights, something powered by multiple CR123 or AA/AAA in a line is no good for me. I see KaiDomain has tons of flashlights and parts, I've build stuff before but with so many parts it's hard to see what might work together. Is there a Luxeon Star-type light I could just swap this emitter into? Or what might be a good parts combo to make a light like this? As far as I know I would be able to cut that Star smaller if necessary, but removing the emitter off the Star
won't be possible, right? I don't have another source for UV power emitters.

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
Oznog;

The UV star is 410nm.

You will get better charging results from 395nm Cree emitters.

Cree now has 1 W & 3 W power LEDs.

Larry Cobb

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm really happy with the Terralux UV drop-in for a Mag AA. It's got pretty strong output, not the best beam but it's fine.

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
I've just modded a WF-400 Flashlight running 18650 ( DX 6937 ) with a UV Cree ( I soldered the emitter onto a cree star board).

The hot spot is very good and it throws. Highly recommended !!!

( Some Points to note : you've to unscrew, take out the WF-400 alu pill, open up the pcb, grind-off some pad on the pcb to avoid unnecessary short circuit.
Under the alu pill, there are two aluminium washers, for the uv mod : remove one of the washer. )
:shakehead

Oznog

Enlightened
Oznog;

The UV star is 410nm.

You will get better charging results from 395nm Cree emitters.

Cree now has 1 W & 3 W power LEDs.

Larry Cobb

I looked up the specs on charging wavelengths for glow powders and keep seeing 450nm for any color. Doesn't this follow the same principle as photoelectric effect, that photons of greater energy have no additional effect? In that case I'd generally expect the get more photons/W out of longer wavelength devices of the same wattage (fewer joules per photon) and if that's the case wouldn't the longer wavelength get better results?

I got some 3MM 405 and 395 nm LEDs awhile back, and found that the 405 was more effective at charging glow powder. I had the "true UV" Microlight that I don't have specs on anymore but it was definitely shorter and less visible, but was pretty lousy at charging glow powder.

Is there actually a place to get 3W Cree emitters now?