How do I find my POP3 address?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've installed a new utility called WinBar but in order to set up my email notification I need my POP3 address. My ISP is AOL and my email is Hotmail.

How do I find my POP3 address AND do I use the one for the ISP or Hotmail. There is a field called "path to mail client" so I'm not sure.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Marty

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
What e-mail program were you using, previously? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif If it was Outlook Express, go to Tools , then Accounts , then the Mail tab. Highlight the Mail icon and then click the Properties box. When the additional dialog box opens, select the Servers tab. Your POP3 address is in the Incoming Mail box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan

I've not used Outlook Express and have always used either AOL or Hotmail. Any thoughts?

This WinBar program merely adds a toolbar to the top or bottom of your screen and notifies you of mail in your existing mailboxes. It also has system data and scrolling news headlines plus a lot of other stuff.

Marty

Tomas

Banned
Just off the top, but if I recall correctly Hotmail is now accessed via a web interface only (no POP3 interface) and AOL never has had a real POP3 interface, and very few "foriegn" mail clients were ever authorized and licensed to use the AOL proprietary interface (Claris Em@iler was one of the few).

I may be totally wrong about Hotmail, since it is now a Microsoft product and therefore I have nothing to do with it, but I do seem to recall the change a couple of years ago to web-interface-only (Web Browser).

Bottom line: I don't believe any current e-mail clients will work with either Hotmail or AOL Mail (except, of course, for the AOL client working with AOL Mail), since neither one of them actually has a "mail" interface - they are a web interface (Hotmail) or proprietary (AOL).

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomas is right Marty, you can't do it with that. Neither Hotmail nor AOL (except for the exceptions I just noticed in Tomas's post that I didn't notice before) allow POP access from 3rd party software for free. I'm not sure, but you may be able to pay for Hotmail POP access, I know you can for Yahoo mail.

However, if you install MSN messenger, it will let you know when there is mail in your Hotmail Box.

steve

Empath

Flashaholic
Neither AOL nor Hotmail uses the pop3 protocol. There is a utility called Web2pop available here. It will access and download both, and then act as a mail server operating local at 127.0.0.1 as a pop3 address. That way your mail client can access pop3 address 127.0.0.1 just as if your mail server was there.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Neither AOL nor Hotmail uses the pop3 protocol. There is a utility called Web2pop available here. It will access and download both, and then act as a mail server operating local at 127.0.0.1 as a pop3 address. That way your mail client can access pop3 address 127.0.0.1 just as if your mail server was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting....using the loopback address as a POP3 address. Pretty clever!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hotmail can be accessed via Outlook Express; it's added as an account with Hotmail selected as the HTTP Service provider. Doesn't act exactly the same as with POP3, but it's easier handling the usual torrent of Hotmail spam, allowing one click wholesale deletion. I now use Mailwasher to automagically screen out most of the spam, so it not as much a necessity as it was before.