Size15s and other SureFire gurus...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of great information available on SureFire products available here on CPF, I'm learning a lot thanks to the posts of people such as Size15s.

To the people with big SureFire collections: what other brands do you own and use? SureFire aside, what other brands and models of lights do you guys really like and/or enjoy using? Most of my "collection" consists of SureFires, but I really like my Inovas (X1 and X5), Lummi (Orb Raw and Wee) and HDS lights too.

So, what else tickles your fancy? :sssh:

Regards,
Tempest

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 6 Sure-Fires and love 'em, and have a WIDE variety of other lights, but as far as the other's that I "depend" on and would recommend as "good-as" or close to Sure-Fire "quality"...not necessarily performance...is Fox-Fury and Inova...I have several of there products including a Foxfury signature series headlamp, an Inova X-5 (built like a tank), and 3 Inova 24/7's...and after taking these through the "my world tour" and giving them a nice beating...ok...a severe beating...they all still work like new, and I wouldn't second guess my self recommending these products to anybody else. They may not be as "bright and powerful" as surefire, but neither of these company's skimp on the QC factor.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going to be repeated about a thousand times, but Fenix is a powerful, and yet inexpensive alternative to surefire

Crenshaw

EV_007

Enlightened
I have a few SureFires both LED and incans.

I also own a light or two from Fenix and an HID from Wolf-Eyes. I used to have an HDS and a couple of headlamps.

The Rebel 100 is one of the best color rendering LEDs thus far. Not an incan, but not bad for an LED.

Today I had the Surefire E2E with a LF bulb and the SureFire L1 CREE in my coat pocket and the Fenix LOD R80 on the keychain along with the Surefire M6 in my bag with a fresh set of Surefire batteries and six more for back-up along with an extra bulb.

Each light serves a purpose. There are times that I've felt that I had too many lights on me and never used em, and a few times that I wish I had a brighter, or longer lasting light. Today's setup for me seems to be a good balance.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I have alot of Surefire's but I also use Mag bodies (as I modify them! - Mag11 Mag85 ROP etc).... I have a few asorted others but they are emergency lights only basically

Size15's

Flashaholic
Lets start with the non-SureFire lights I use most often...

1) Photon MicroLights.
For me there is only one brand - genuine Photons. I've updated all my PhotonII whites to the current "to the Max" versions. I have them on my work keys and combined with Tritium glowrings dotted about the place.
On my main set of keys I have a PhotonII UV which is for fun.
I tend to give Photons away as gifts - for example all my team members have them.
Photons are fast and easy to activate and small enough to be with you unnoticed until required.

2) Princeton Tec EOS head lamps.
I prefer the orange version so it's easier to find. I realise these aren't the highest output or whatever but there's something about them that appeals to me. I have several (although my Dad and Brother have 'stolen' one each). I use it quite a bit when I need handsfree light.

3) Pelican MityLite 2440PLB LED (Photoluminescent Body)
This replaced the orange Pelican StealthLite (4AA incand) that I gave to my parents for a flashlight mounted by the back door in their kitchen.
I must get a couple for myself. It's great that it glows in the dark and produces a wide beam for everyday use in powercut conditions etc.
It's great fun to play with with a UV Photon.
I plan to get one for my flat, and another for my car. Filled with the long-life batteries (Energizer Titanium's).

4) ArcAAA (ultra bright white light version)
Before the SureFire Titan I used to have an ultra bright ArcAAA (white) on my keys. Still, I keep the ArcAAA close by. I found it slower to use for quick tasks compared to the Photon but the beam is more concentrated and runtime is better. It's a flashlight I carry on a neck lanyard whilst camping.

5) TigerLight 8" FBOP version with upgraded battery pack and lamp
I was really pleased I purchased the TigerLight - it was the same price as the Streamlight UltraStinger I also got at about the same time but the whole flashlight is just better in my opinion.
One of my mates is a Police Officer - his dutylight is a U2 of mine with rechargeable LiIon battery. However, he also has my TigerLight. It doesn't get used much but when it does he says that others are also really impressed by it. My mate tried out the 10X for a while but found for the amount of use he requires it for is quite small and even though I have two 10X's he preferred the smaller TigerLight.

6) I really like the look of the Pelican SabreLite 3C incandescent. As a flashlight I think its one of the best looking. Especially in bright yellow.
I don't use mine very much at all. I have no real need for it.

That's about it for my favourite non-SureFire lights. Does anyone have any questions?

Al :)

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well I have 7 SF's (see my sig) and probably about 15 lights in all so about half are SF's. But I also like to mod Mag's, and I love Spotlights, and I like to wear my PT Apex regular and pro editions.

-Evan

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 13 surefires right now...with a couple more on the way. This is actually less than my all-time high of 18. I've been thinning out my herd...hehe. My only non-SF light is my Inova T1. That and a couple of those 99 cent keychain button cell lights.

I think Inova is high quality and I love that they're available in more places (B&M). Plus, they make good gifts to non-CPFers that don't know the difference between a $35 light and a $350 light.

WDR65

Enlightened
I also have 13 Surefires right now and I plan on a few more after the new year. I also have 4 or 5 Streamlights, a few Pelicans and a pair of Fenix lights. In addition to that I own 6 or so Inovas and some Princeton Tec Headlamps. There are more, but these are the best know brands that I own and I'm not counting all the Maglites.

Of all these, the Inovas, Streamlights and the Fenix lights see the most use. I EDC a Fenix L1D CE and generally have an Inova microlight backing it up.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have an even dozen Surefires. The one non-Surefire light I use the most is my Novatac 120P. If I have no other light on me when I walk out of the house, the 120P is clipped in my pocket. I have had a Fenix LOD-CE on my keychain for about 7 months now. Doesn't get a lot of use, but it is my back-up light, just in case all else fails. I keep a 4D Maglite with a TerraLUX TLE-6EX drop-in on my night stand for the bump in the night light. My Surefires....both LED and Incans are truly my favorites and by far the ones that get the most daily use though...
love0031.gif

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
I use Surefire lights at work and they are my primary lights that always ride on my duty belt. I currently have 12 Surefires around the house not including my work lights.

Inova T series lights and NovaTac see a lot of action besides my Surefires.

Modded Maglites Mag ROP's, Aspheric, Mag85 also get some play along with my Tigerlights. These lights I use more for long range illumination and pure "Wow that is bright factor".

Then just to wow the masses I will pull out the HID.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Seven Surefires, plan to add more soon.... especially now that I have a full-time job again.

I have lights from almost every well-known company. Sometimes just one example. (Like my PentagonLights X3 model). My latest purchase was a couple of Fenix lights. L0D Rebel 80, and a P3D Q5. The P3D will be my EDC at work. Every CPFer who owns one, seems to love it. So, I decided to find out for myself. The L0D is a strong contender for best overall keychain light, so I got one to try out.

If Surefire didn't exist, I'd likely have more Streamlight and Inova models than I do now. I have a few from each company. Inova especially is great for those who want a very tough light, but won't or can't pay Surefire prices. The main downside is the lack of quality holsters from Inova for most of their lights. (The Maxpedition universal light sheath I recently bought should take care of that problem).

I love keychain lights. Along with the above-mentioned L0D, I have a rare black Dorcy 1AAA model and a one-off Patriot version of the same model. I have other Dorcy lights. Not the latest & greatest in LED technology, but solid. Photon II is the one keychain model I tend to favor over others. Not much throw, even by keychain light standards. But it will light up a small, darkened room to a decent degree. It's also tough as nails and very waterproof. If Surefire made a coin-cell keychain light, this would be it!

A few Maglite models. But I always carry other lights with those since I've had problems with Mags in the past.

Have a couple of Pelican lights. But don't really use them. Nothing wrong with them.... just haven't had a chance to really use them.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
always have an older Fenix L1D-Ce in my jacket, just in case

If I need a light (hiking, hobby caveing, bike nightriding) I primarily use my 6P (modded to Cree and 18650).

If the switches of my modded (Cree+18650) T1 Innova(s) weren't this crappy and/or Fenix would offer an 18650 model,
that 6P would get Shelf Queen instantly - smaller light with only one diameter is way better to pocket.

Till I am able to mod the T1 switches, or a suiting Fenix (or another maker but with that good package) comes out, the 6P stays best
(because it not only seems brighter than all my other lights including 8X and 9N, it is also this small, bright and still "long" running - thanks to led and the 18650 - that bringing it along is not annoying)
:)

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh, forgot about my Arc AAA-P :ohgeez: Probably my most used light after my SureFire A2. It lives on a carabiner clipped to my belt :eek: Can't see it getting replaced any time soon.

Regards,
Tempest

Kiessling

Flashaholic
In addition to SF:

- McGizmo to the max
- Photon II
- Eternalight EliteMax
- SPY005
- Nautilus

The rest is either shelf queens or just for the fun and not really used.

bernie

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own five square body A2's, one M6 (used to have 2), and a Kroma. I am less thrilled about their other LED lights and incandescents.

That said, I also own and plan to keep one Wolf Eyes Raider incandescent, one WE M300 Lion incnadescent rechargeable, A Fenix P2D (yes that is a good one!!), an HDS U60, and a XeRay Barn Burner. All these lights are keepers for me.

I don't plan to buy any more Surefires unless they come out to par with some new powerful LED lights or more regulated incandescents.

Oh and to set the record straight, by replying to this thread I am by no means implying I qualify as a SF guru.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all the Surefire incans except an M3 or M3T. I also use an L1 (Cree) as my EDC even though I've had rotten luck in the reliability department with Surefire's LED lights. (Had a U2 die on me twice and my brand-new L1 won't lock into high mode. Surefire's CS has been lagging on getting me a replacement tail cap.)

Anyway, the non-SF lights I use are a VB-16 for around-the-house flashing, as I leave for work before sunrise. The rest are HIDs: Microfire K2000R, Wolf Eyes Boxer 123X (awesome light), Thor Cyclops modified to HID, and a Sam's Club HID.

When going on vacation or anytime I want a "serious" light, my first pics are the Surefire M2 and/or M4. Don't use the M6 much.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I have a few SureFires both LED and incans.

I also own a light or two from Fenix and an HID from Wolf-Eyes. I used to have an HDS and a couple of headlamps.

The Rebel 100 is one of the best color rendering LEDs thus far. Not an incan, but not bad for an LED.

Today I had the Surefire E2E with a LF bulb and the SureFire L1 CREE in my coat pocket and the Fenix LOD R80 on the keychain along with the Surefire M6 in my bag with a fresh set of Surefire batteries and six more for back-up along with an extra bulb.

Each light serves a purpose. There are times that I've felt that I had too many lights on me and never used em, and a few times that I wish I had a brighter, or longer lasting light. Today's setup for me seems to be a good balance.
A few Surefires EV007? I have seen your family picture of surefires and you have like 20 or so. (That picture is in the thread about SF E1L/L1 cree beam shots/ review)