Lumapower M3 build issues

pipspeak

Enlightened
Just got the lumapower M3 from batteryjunction and I have to say it's a nice light but let down by a few niggling build issues.

Firstly the hi-lo switch (turn of the head) barely works because the battery tube has to be tightened so hard to push down the little switch in the head for hi that it's then impossible to then loosen it for the lo setting without some two-handed wrestling.

Similarly, when the AA extension tube is screwed on it doesn't tighten enough, leaving a small gap between the sections that kinda detracts from the "single tube" look. Now it just looks like two badly-fitting tubes screwed together.

And finally the tactical switch is nice in theory but requires far too much pressure to activate -- a particular problem with such a smooth, slipperly flashlight. You really have to grip this thing and have a strong thumb to operate it otherwise it either flies out of your hand or just doesn't go on.

The first two issues can probably be fixed by taking a file to the ends of the tubes to shorten the threaded sections. I'm not sure if the tactical switch issue is normal or not. Anyone else have similar issues or suggestions on how to fix them?

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my M3 I didn't have the mechanical problems you mention so I can't comment.

The tactical switch was however practically impossible to use. This was solved by Lumapower some time ago by making a revised switch. I ordered it and now its operation is really smooth as it should. I assume you got a first generation switch. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=153531&page=12

On all these matters I suggest you contact BatteryJunction because in general Lumapower M3 owners are quite satisfied with their flashlights.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Hmmm... I read the new switch was available in August, so I'm not sure which one I have. Any way of telling from its innards?

As for my other issues, short of swapping out all the tubes I'm not sure if just one new part will fix them. The AA tube and head have the tight hi-lo switch problem but the head and R123 body have the opposite problem... you have to turn the head almost an entire turn to switch from hi to low, which seems excessive.

All in all it seems the thread lengths for most of the components are slightly outta whack, which is disappointing. I'll see if I can live with the switch and if so I'll just file appropriate parts to try and get everything else better connected.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M3 had contact issues with the 123 tube. Light would not work with the 123 tube. A light coating of ano on one end, a little 600 grit sandpaper
and now it works great. With turbohead its a nice light, mine came with a 2 stage switch in it.