Pelican M6 Impressions

Enlightened
Hey everyone got my Pelican M6 yesterday and immediately powered it up. For the money I think this is a great flashlight but the tailcap sucks. At least on my light. If you turn the flashlight to operate on momentary(clickie) the whole tailcap assembly has the tendency to move which can cause the flashlight to be turned on when placing inside the holster. I found this out today when I picked it up today & about burnt my hand. ouch !! Also to turn the tailcap to the safety lockout position I feel as if I've unscrewed the tailcap almost to the disassembly point. Other than that the light is definately bright and has a good feel.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Dano is getting a tailcap from Pelican to see if he can work out the defect. I think we all have the issue to some degree or another.

avusblue

Enlightened
OK, I'll weigh in, at risk of stirring the pot . . .

I received the Pelican M6 yesterday. While I didn't expect SF level of quality for half the retail price, as a collector / hobbyist, I wind up finding the M6 unacceptable. Even though it is quite bright. The flaws in the quality of the finish (mine had pitting and blemishes), the poor tailcap lockout, the too-easily pushed tail button, the artifacts in the beam -- all are disappointments that offset the benefit of the low price. This will be a decent, functional, usable light for those working on a tight budget. But for me, I enjoy the aestetics and intangibles of finer flashlights too much to put up with the lack thereof on the PM6. Lining it up on that basis for instance to a SF 6P, there's no comparison. All aspects of that thing are pure beauty. Same with E2e.

All this being said, please know that I am NOT a pre-biased Surefire elitist, in fact my favorite (defined by most used) all-around light is probably an Opalec Gaglite. Or maybe an Arc AAA. Or maybe the coming McLux. Hmmm, who can say which one of their toys they love the most???

Anyway, I intend to give away the PM6 as a gift to a non-flashlight friend to whom I previously gave a CMG Infinity and he was delighted.

Again, this isn't to "diss" the PM6 or say that it doesn't have a place in the world. Many people love it, and it is affordable. I just place a high priority on the "form" as well as the "function".

Peace,

Dave

PS one other thing -- I did really like the holster it came with!!

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
If the lamp life is as advertised (100+ hours), then I think it's a terrific bargain. Its output is similar to the Scorpion and Legend LX (but with a weight penalty). As noted, the holster is super quality.

So, less than perfect finish, ten times the lamp life, watertight, with a $10.00 holster, all for $35.00?

Glad I bought two.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the PM6 is a crappy, cheap light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

it's a great value!

BackStage

Newly Enlightened
Perfect for what I need. In one of my venues today I shined it at a chain motor about 60ft up and it lit that baby fine. Exactly what we need for rigging. Thanks to this forum for pointing this baby out. I already had to order another for my partner.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
the PM6 is a crappy, cheap light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

it's a great value!

[/ QUOTE ]Tell us how you really feel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 on order . Hope they aren't too bad. If they are I'll sell them at a whopping $30.00 plus shipping.

I have 2 Surefire's (G2 & *NX)and a 3rd coming in the same package as the PM6. I'm getting a G2Z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It's about all I'll really need as a back up, daytime light.

I also have the Copia/Wolf eyes M90 and that puppy is a great on duty light. I find myself using it all the time. I liked it so much I'm getting the other 2 models in the line and a few accessories. I'm also ordering the Li-Ion battery and lamp for the G2Z, if it works it will be an awsome set up. I like the idea of the Hex bezel as I often lay my light down on the cruiser trunk or hood.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I sent a PM6 to my Dad and he got it today. I got a call tonight and he said. "I don't like the tailcap. There are aritfacts in the beam if not focused down. The lamp will probably only last about 100 hours and I found an imperfection in the knurling. If you really loved me you would have sent me a 6P with 6 or 8 spare lamps to give me the same lamp life along with a nice holster." I'm lying, he actually said, "This thing is the Sun" His PM6 will replace his 3C Mag. Sometimes I long for the days when a 4D Mag was a monster torch. It's another case of everything being relative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
All three of my SF lights (G2, C2, M3) do the same thing as the PM6 in that if you don't completely disengage the constant on mode if you push down or laterally on just the tailcap, not the switch, the light comes on. As far as lockout is concerned my PM6 locks out completely before the tailcap disengages the O-ring (it is visible but not disengaged) I'm sure as the spring in the tailcap fatigues a little with use this will not even matter. I have holstered the PM6 multiple times on momentary on mode and not had any problems with activation. The body of my PM6 is more well turned than my Two surefires in that the striations made as the bodies were turned down to final diameter are more prevailant on the Surefires. In fact, the only tooling marks I have found on my PM6 are the internal ones, (the anodizing is messy inside as this is where they were fixtured) and a definite endmill stop point on the logo recess where as both of my surefire aluminums have multiple milling marks around the head areas, the clip area on my C2 and the striations on the bodies. On all of my lights the tailcaps wiggle slightly when in the momentary and lockout positions and only slightly more on the PM. On my G2's (my wife carries one too) if not properly placed in momentary mode, depressing the momentary switch pushes it too far into the body destroying the water resistance and forcing you to screw the cap into constant on to reset the switch (they need a retaining ring for the switch). The PM6's knurling is pretty standard stuff for the price level of the product. I am sure they could afford more aggresive tooling for the knurling process but maybe that would add an extra annealing step to the process both of which would definitely raise the purchase price. The anodizing on the tailcap and the head do not match perfectly but the HAIII finish on my C2 doesn't match up perfectly either. So far I like all my lights but if we're going to start splitting hairs I would have to say that my Inova X5T has the best overall fit and finish of all and cost me $34.95 is guarranteed waterproof and while it is LED I think the other companies could definitely learn something about quality from this light. I still think the PM6 is a great value and will use mine well. Right below the Pelican logo on the back of the blister card it says "You break it we replace it...forever." Having dealt with Pelican in the past I'm sure they mean it and that's the bottom line.

Thanks,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif