Out of the loop

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I'm in LE and I normally use a Magcharger with an WA1160 along with a rechargable setup in a SF G2.

Well I've been out of the loop for a while and I need help. I just recently lost my rechargable 9v G2 at work. On top of that I just reduced my Surefire collection down to a 9AX and an A2. I am in desperate need of a replacement for my long lost G2.

I've been browsing the forums in search of a respectable replacement and the new Fenix T1 looks nice. Lowes has the new LED 6P's and G2's but I'm afraid they will be weak compared to other options in the price/size category.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would also recommend the Dereelight CL1H. It is also easier to upgrade then the Fenix and Regalight.

I'm guessing you already know about the Cree and Seoul LEDs, now the Luxeon Rebel is also thrown into the mix(Along with higher bin Crees).

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been browsing the forums in search of a respectable replacement and the new Fenix T1 looks nice. Lowes has the new LED 6P's and G2's but I'm afraid they will be weak compared to other options in the price/size category.
Weak in terms of what, brightness or construction? The new G2 shouldn't be weak in either categories.

I've been using a T1 for a few days now, and it's a very beefy and *bright* light. Depending on how you plan on to use it while on duty, it may be helpful. Here's a link to a review we just did on it for use with a handgun.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the link to the T1 review. This is will be my belt-worn duty light so it must be reliable, bright, and firearms friendly.

As far as my comment about the new G2 being weak I was refering to its output. Not that the G2 (or any Surefire) is a slouch, it just seems that there are a lot of new options out there these days.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the link to the T1 review. This is will be my belt-worn duty light so it must be reliable, bright, and firearms friendly.

As far as my comment about the new G2 being weak I was refering to its output. Not that the G2 (or any Surefire) is a slouch, it just seems that there are a lot of new options out there these days.

The thing about the T1 is that it is a new light.... without any type of track record. That's the only thing that bothers me. Considering what you plan on using the light for, I think a more proven design would be best.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing about the T1 is that it is a new light.... without any type of track record. That's the only thing that bothers me. Considering what you plan on using the light for, I think a more proven design would be best.

IMHO I don't think you have to worry that much about a a newer model. Lights are a pretty easy design, not THAT much that can go wrong, it's not a car we're talking about here. There are a lot of failures in older proven designs as well. If a light will fail, it will fail.

Regarding the T1, it might be wise to avoid it in this case if you're using the mentioned firing techniques as in the review, didn't score that well there.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
IMHO I don't think you have to worry that much about a a newer model. Lights are a pretty easy design, not THAT much that can go wrong, it's not a car we're talking about here. There are a lot of failures in older proven designs as well. If a light will fail, it will fail.

Regarding the T1, it might be wise to avoid it in this case if you're using the mentioned firing techniques as in the review, didn't score that well there.

With an older, proven design; you generally know what to expect. Despite not being the brightest out there, my Streamlight TL-2 LED model has been very reliable. I wish the tailcap was better designed, but it works.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading your post I have a couple questions:

Why not get another G2?

Why not use rechargeables in the 9AX?