donn_

Flashaholic
Here's a tidbit buried in another thread:

theshorelinemarket_1980_65731704

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=172428

3x New K2 Mag drop-in running on 6-24v with 600 lumens at the emitters.:D

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If this is true it will just last long enough until the next "bin of the month" comes out and we need a new one anyway :D :aaa:

donn_

Flashaholic
My guess is a metal block under the PCB, contacting the head and top of the tube for both current flow and thermal sinking through the body. The installation diagram in the PDF looks like that might be the rig.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing is 600 lumens, very impressive. However, my experience with bright multi led lights is that they do not have much throw.

This will probably be way brighter than the malkoff drop in but I would be interested in knowing how they compare in throw.

donn_

Flashaholic
It may be possible to gerry-rig it into a C head. You'd probably need a fitting which sits on top of the end of the C tube, to contact the bottom of the drop-in, and possibly another fitting (metal ring or o-ring) inside the lens, to push the drop-in down.

I'm using EL's D-Mag drop-ins in C heads with adapter rings Wayne whipped out in his shop. They work great.

Illum

Flashaholic
This thing is 600 lumens, very impressive.

terralux numbers can be very deceiving....the Malkoff has sufficient heatsink material for extended runs...if this thing really has NO HEATSINK, I don't think the output would be impressive except for the first few seconds during a cold start. could be wrong though:ohgeez:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
how much is it?
i've been waiting for something like this.
i just pulled the trigger on waynes monster throw III a couple days ago.
if this is a better value i may kick myself.
awesome, this is the best hobby ever!

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
by the way, great link.
we should always be helping to keep each other informed.
honestly i wouldn't have seen it cause i almost always chill in the led flashlight forums.

but...
this is $100 and so is wayne's monster throw III i pulled the trigger on.
one difference i see is this one can use a 4D or 6D mag which i am a fan of both those sizes more so than 3D. are both terralux and elektro-throw the same amperage? if so, maybe at those high draws i give the nod to using more batteries. we'll have to see both beams before i decide.

of course i'm about to buy one, then i guess i'll tell you all about it when they both come in. holy crap this is an expensive hobby!

EDIT: oh before i pull the trigger, which is the more efficent led, this new k2 or the good old seoul p4 u bin?
i need a quick answer if i'm gonna buy tonight! lol

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
am i the only one on this thread? :whistle:

jk. according to the thread on the new luxeon k2 post #22, they are not as bright/efficent as the seoul p4.
might be 20% less efficent, therefore making wayne's elecktro-throw my choice still, considering it is the same price.

anyone elses thoughts?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would really be excellent if those optics could be easily swapped by the user to the wider angle units. I don't need a throwmaster, but a battery floodlight would be pretty unique and useful. Put a camera tripod adapter ring on it.

-- Alan

Valolammas

Enlightened
It would really be excellent if those optics could be easily swapped by the user to the wider angle units. I don't need a throwmaster, but a battery floodlight would be pretty unique and useful.

My thoughts exactly. At first I was really excited about this, but I read the instructions linked above and they say it has TIR optics. I'd much rather have a flooder.

I wonder why they went with the K2 LEDs?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would really be excellent if those optics could be easily swapped by the user to the wider angle units. I don't need a throwmaster, but a battery floodlight would be pretty unique and useful. Put a camera tripod adapter ring on it.

-- Alan

Although everybody's perception/opinion on flood vs throw will vary, I think this drop-in will still give you very good spill. I've seen quite a few spot optics with the new high power emitters that simply puts out good spill just because there's more light coming from them than say a Luxeon I or III...and the fact that there's 3 emitters here will definitely enhance spill. People should wait for a review and some beamshots on this before they start jumping to conclusions about it. Personally I like having throw and I find that the spill is really useable with the newer LEDs, so I expect the TFFC K2 to be no different in this setup.