Anyone here have the Fenix P2D/L1D Q5 combo package?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered one, comes with the 1x123 and 1xAA body.
Wondering how much difference there is in performance between using the two battery types.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR123 version ( P2D Q5 ) is listed as 180 Lumens on Turbo. The AA version (L1D Q5 ) is listed as 120 Lumens on Turbo.

Hope this helps.

However the AA version should run longer. Not sure what the runtimes are though.

Bill

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, I've read the specs off the web site, just wondering if anyone has hands on experience they would like to relate.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't have experience but the main difference is that Turbo would be higher on the CR123 battery. Everything else should remain similar.

The high and turbo of the L1D should be similar and the high and turbo of the P2D should be almost a 2 to 1 difference.

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
Trust me, I've read the specs off the web site, just wondering if anyone has hands on experience they would like to relate.

I have it.
Actually, I've just bought one regular L2Dce, one L2D-Q5, one Q5 Christmas kit, plus 1 LODce and 2 LOD-Q4. So they've made some money off me. :)

I've done quite a bit of shifting around and testing since neither the Q5 heads, nor the Q4 performed as I expected as compared to the stock model, + another issue.

According to my tests, the output differences between the two battery types are small up to max level, (Panasonic CR123 vs GP ReCyKo NiMH), the lithium outperforming the AA 10% or so on high. The difference comes on turbo, where a fresh lithium gains another 60% from high, whereas the AA only gains some 15%. So a fresh lithium gives roughly 50% higher output on turbo vs. a decent NiMH, nicely matching Fenix-store claims. That is not likely to remain the case throughout the discharge cycle, of course. My results also matched their claim is that the fresh lithium should give the same output as the dual AA, L2D, body. It did.

I haven't gotten around to measuring battery lives for the different drive options, nor have I measured drive currents yet.

Hope this helped a bit.

Last edited:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, got a confirm. email from D. Chow, stated it shipped today at approx.4pm.
hopefully I'll have it before Friday when I go back to work.
Am getting stoked!

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
Can I expect any difference between using lith AA and Alk/Nihm?
Just tested it.
A fresh from the package Energizer lithium 1.5V AA, yielded very marginally higher light output than the NiMH. While I can measure a small difference, it's really quite insignificant even from a measurement standpoint, and of course completely invisible to the eye.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
not worth it for everyday use.
put the lithiums in the drawer till there is a hurricane that comes without warning enough for you to top off the aa's

one free recharge of the aa's and already you've gotten more runtime out of the aa's vs the lithiums.