Tactical Light

kokickbox

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light with the following, and was wondering if you guys could help me out?

Decent battery life (about 10hrs)
Red lens attachment
Rubber body (anything other than aluminum)
Tactical size
Atleast 40 lumens

Thanks

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean with tactical, but it sounds like a Surefire G2L. There are preciously few "tactical" lights that don't have metal bodies.

You could also check out Surefire G2 and GZ, allthough they are incans and don't have that long battery life.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
The G2L is a good recommendation.

Depending on what you mean by "tactical" the G2Z + P60L might be for you.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You're not going to get 10 hours out of a "tactical" light (assuming we have the same concept of what such light might be). The G2 or the Streamlight Scorpion come to mind as polymer/rubber covered body lights.

That said, what exactly are you going to use this light for? Also, what do you mean by "tactical size"? Tank lights are "tactical" lights, and so can be a SF e2e.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think a G2(Not the G2L because that has a metal head) or G2Z with a P60 compatible drop-in.

FYI, at tactical light has at least 60 lumens as a definition.

You are not going to get anywhere close to 10 ours of runtime at full output from any tactical light smaller then 2C sized.

:welcome:

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
Like the rest said, you wont get 10 hours runtime on most any tactical type light.

For a combination of good spot and flood, I recommend a Surefire 6PL LED. Its $85 dollars. Beautifully machined. Worth every penny. About 3.5 hours at 70-80 lumens. 2 CR123s. Good illumination out to 75 feet or so.

For spot with decent flood, try the Surefire G2 incandescent. $36. Runs for one hour w/ 2 CR123 batts. 65 lumens, nearly as bright as the 6PL. Good out to 100 feet.

For all flood (for close up work) I'd reccomend the Inova X5 LED. Takes 2 CR123s and sips them for nearly 7 hours of output, close to what you mentioned. But the lumens output is not nearly at tactical level, maybe 25-30ish. And you won't be able to illuminate past 20-25 feet.

For all spot, the Coast Tactical Focus. $50 at Lowes. Runs about 2 hours at peak brightness. LED light with mid-range throwing ability. Very bright, about 50-60 lumens. About 100 foot range. 3 AAAs.

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
And now I just realized you said you didn't want aluminum :banghead:

All I have to say for that is :oops:

kokickbox

Newly Enlightened
By tactical size, I meant nothing longer than 7 in... I was looking for a good light to bring to the field with me, that I wouldn't have to change batteries on every hour. That being said, thanks for all the input.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only thing that really comes to mind when you want 10 hours with 40+ is the fenix T1 if i reacall correctly, its got 10 hours on 60lumens...but since its alu...try a g2 with some kind of drop in..

Crenshaw

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I see, I though you needed a polymer light because you needed the light in a hazardous area and are afraid of sparks that might ignite things.

A Al light with good knurling(Or some rubber around the outside) would work too, like the Dereelight CL1H should do fine grip-wise even with gloves(From what I've read).

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know he does have a point, never occured to me that
cold+metal(even HAII or III alu)=ouch :crackup:

Anyway, what gunner said, and if youre looking for polymer/plastic, surefire is probably your best bet, although you can check out pelican's range too, although no where near as bright or modular..

Crenshaw

EDIT:this was written before gunner posted the post just above..