Lights for non-flashaholics

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
simple question ... Would you give a 123 based light to someone who isn't "into" flashlights?

I was thinking about giving lights as gifts to each of my brothers this Christmas. Two of them are into camping, outdoors, boy scouting, fishing, etc. The other is a tech rep for an ag-related company and often has to inspect farm equipment in the field (literally). My thought was to get them each a SF G2L which seems to be a good compromise between runtime and output for a general purpose light.
Assuming I were to buy them each a G2L, what's the best way to approach/instruct them concerning 123 safety?
Or would I be better off sticking with AA based lights?

Your thoughts please ...
thanks
Steve

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's generally a bad idea to give non-flashaholics CR123 powered lights.

Plus, they would probably end up trying to buy replacement cells in the store (instead of cheap, online), and $5 per cell isn't that good of a deal for a light that burns through $10 worth every 4.5 hours.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely not a 123. If anything, a StealthLite 2410 LED (AAA x 4), or a voltage regulated SabreLite 2020 LED (C x 3).

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most definitely not a CR123 for a nonflashoholic(unless they have free acess to them from work or something).

Fenix L2D Q5 would be a great present as an general purpose light for a non flashoholic. Even though it runs best on NiMH, it will still give good performance on alkalines.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Mags with terralux dropins, or similar type setups are going to be your best bet. Alkaline cells stink, however, people are familiar with them, and very respectable performance can be achieved on alkaline cells with modern high efficiency LEDs.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
simple question ... Would you give a 123 based light to someone who isn't "into" flashlights?

I was thinking about giving lights as gifts to each of my brothers this Christmas. Two of them are into camping, outdoors, boy scouting, fishing, etc. The other is a tech rep for an ag-related company and often has to inspect farm equipment in the field (literally). My thought was to get them each a SF G2L which seems to be a good compromise between runtime and output for a general purpose light.
Assuming I were to buy them each a G2L, what's the best way to approach/instruct them concerning 123 safety?
Or would I be better off sticking with AA based lights?

Your thoughts please ...
thanks
Steve

All the gifts I am giving have the 123.... one is a yellow G2L, another is the Princeton Tec Apex pro Headlamp, and a few fenix P1-CE's......

I purchased the Amandotech batteries from batteryjunction for a $1 each....so each gift has 10 batteries to get them started. Also tell them where to purchase the batteries and they should be good.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Okay if you get them a set of rechargeables and a charger.
I would agree with carbine15... I would get a 1AA or 2AA powered light for non-flashoholics.

But, there are exceptions... I have 3 friends who saw my Fenix P3D and asked about that light as they were all looking for a decently-priced, bright and portable flashlight for camping with double-duty as a backup bike light. I recommended purchasing Fenix P3D-Q5's for them, along with RCR123's and chargers from AW. Luckily, none of them balked at the final cost... :thumbsup:

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
If they actually use the light and are impressed with it enough to want to keep using it, then they will buy the 123's for it. At least that is what I have found with the lights I purchased as groomsmans gifts. I have had several tell me so far that they "recently had to replace the batteries"....which means that they liked the light enough to go find the batteries and purchase them. These guys are not flashaholics but do recognize and respect good equipment.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Simple interface is important also - I'm gifting Fenix L1T v2's and an L1S or two this year - two mode, easy lights, nice beams, esp the L1T of course. L1S still out there for cheep, still way better than over the counter AA lights.

Akita

Newly Enlightened
I agree...nothing with CR 123's.

Non flashaholics take one look at the price of batteries and...show over.

They are generally not willing to spend the effort tracking down battery deals and rechargeables to keep the flashlight operating.

Unless the price of CR 123s become competitive with AA's I don't see that situation changing in my lifetime :>(

I usually give friends and family a Romisen RC-G2 or A2 and they usually go wild when they see all that blistering,eye scorching output from a single AA battery.

The MiniMags go straight into the trash can. :D

I wonder why ?

:whistle::whistle:

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
I'm not so much concerned with the cost of batteries as I would start them off with some spares and direct them to a good online source for replacements.

My primary concern has to do with lithium battery safety.
I'd love to give them each a nice Surefire, too bad they don't use AAs.

Steve

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I agree with most here, not CR123 batts!
I have a friend who is not a flashaholic really, he did buy a Lumapower M1 and A SF G2 and later a drop in led for it. He is always carrying one of them, and uses them regulary. But every time he is changing the batterys (18650 on the M1, CR123 on g2) he ask what way do they go into the light!
When I helpt him moved to another appartment, I found some used CR123 batts laying among some stuff on a shelf (one was missing at that time). I told him again that he should dispose the used batterys and DONT keep them in a drawer or such, becuase of the risk of leaking and even venting if being shorted.
He did like most people do with old batterys, they goes in the kitchen junk drawer or something like it, alkalines arnt that big of risk, but CR123 batts are.

So to come to my answer, many people dont seem to care so much for small batterys, they dont understand or care that they arnt their old alkaline batterys...