Lights Out!

battman

Newly Enlightened
Let's Pretend. There's a power failure at the moment you are reading this post. What's the first light you turn on within your reach?

My E2e/Kl1 saves the day here, how 'bout you?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I am not only on a laptop and wireless, my network is on a nice little UPS, so I can see quite a bit from my screen.

If I wasn't on the laptop, and even if I am... That being said, I have a wide range of choices, but the most readily available is my E1e/KL1 that is around my neck. Next would be the Arc LSL-P (courtesy of This_Is_Nascar -- THANKS MAN!), or my Arc AAA UV (if I could find it).

I think if the lights would be out for a while and it was necessary to have some light, I have a blue Mini-mag with a Royal Blue MadMax mod and a silver Mini-Mag with a white MadMax mod, so I'd use those as "candles" maybe.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I am in the middle of a runtime test of an Arc SLS2 with two A NimH that will be the light I use. Other than that it would most likely be the 10XD. With its dual lamps it makes for a hell of a light.

Cheers.

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
MadMax then Newbeam, In a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope a Blaster VI.

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
L1. Use L1 to find batteries to top off E2e+KL1. But I work for the power company that services my area so I would then use the "red" phone and call out the cavalry.

battman

Newly Enlightened
"I would then use the "red" phone and call out the cavalry. "

Is that kinda like the batt signal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
Just made that up. I would huddle in the corner until help arrived.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PT Rage sitting in front of my monitor. For long term outages I have an Infinity Ultra that stays in my work pouch on top of my dresser and usually have many AA's lying around.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
use my arc aaa, use it to navigate to my school bag (which is in my room) and pull out a mag 3d luxeon mod, then go to the dining room table, where my coat is hanging on the chair, and pull out the 2 lights i always carry in it...i am now packing 6 lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so basically, when i am out wherever, i am carrying 4 lights, when i am at school, i am carrying 5 lights.

2 in my pants, 2 in my coat, 1 in my school bag

within a month (hopefully) i will be carrying at least 3 lights in my pants, hopefully, shortly after 1 month (again, hopefully), i will carry 4 in my pants (unless my pm6 replaces my sfe2e for left pocket edc carry, in which case i will carry 3 in my pants) and by next winter, i will be carrying 4 or 5 in my pants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif in addition to the at least 2 in my coat (which will usually be with me while i'm out, in the winter at least)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a surge in front of me now, jusr right above my monitor, I'll use that to locate my BB500, and use all my 28 AA fully charged 1850 sanyos to goo use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If that power failure happened right now (or as soon as I hit the Post button) I'd probably go for my royal blue Arc-LS because that's right in front of the computer rat right now. I'd use that to find my Impact II, which I'd then use to go for one of the SureFire KL lights I keep nearby.
Sooner or later I'd end up in the bedroom, and probably go for my 5W cyan LS mod on the bed headboard (next to a JVC RC-M71JW jam box) just to freak out the guests of that hoity-toity hotel across the street. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reading this thread on my laptop while in bed. So the light from the screen will provide plenty of light for me to reach my bedside table. There I have a CMG Infinity, Brinkman 2AA with BB500 and just topped of NiMh's, 2 Lithiums powering a single white LED in another brinkman body, 7 orange spider LED's powered by 2AA, a rather wimpy incandescent 2AA light that came as part of a multi-tool package, (I'm trying to deicde if the case is good enough to warrent modding) and finally my Mr Bulk NexNeedle 5Watt Luxeon. Which is a little much for most tasks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif THe rest of the lights and spare batteries are downstairs but I think thats enough to get there safely... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also have a breadboard with a couple of single transister boost circuits and LED's layed out on it, but the battery is dead, so it would take a second or two to get that swapped out and working. Not as fast as a flashlight, but good to give a night light effect.

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
and by next winter, i will be carrying 4 or 5 in my pants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be short, but it sure is skinny...

Sorry but I just could not let that one go

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, the computer has a UPS, and an old fashioned screen, so that puts out a lot of light. On the table in front of me is a modified Brinkman 1AA setup for "night vision" red light, so I'd grab that first, while shutting down the PC. Then I'd kill the UPS, and the power to it on the power strip, so as not to blow stuff up if the power goes goofy.

Next, grab the Streamlight Syclone beside me, and track down my Mr Buddy portable propane heater, my battery powered CO detector, and a new cylinder. Head to the bedroom, fire up Mr Buddy, being careful so as not to burn down the place, and curl up to go to sleep. After all, it's 1am already...in 7 more hours the battery powered alarm clock goes off.

Head to work in the morning, where hopefully they have power so I can take a hot shower. If not, have to work anyway, as the data center is on the backup generator, and they'll be lots to do.

Not that I've planned any of this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
left front pocket, McHappy w/ 1850mAh NiMH comes on first, switch off the surge suppressor. get the MM by the stairs and take it down to siblings so they dont shout in fear (parents room has 3D Mag by door. assumed short pwoer loss unless big equake (a whole different story). NiMH's, all 8 of them (4 in SW/FM band radio) can be charged as needed using the car cig. adapter for logner term use. etc etc

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sams Choice 3D cell light with a green 4LED cluster bulb from jbechto that sits next to the computer. The reflector works very well with the LEDs and it should run next to forever.

I would use that to see to shut down the PC and UPS, then turn on my two Dorcy CCFT combo lights for navigation beacons around the room.

Then I would go open the windows 'cause I would miss the AC worse than the light. 85 degrees outside right now.......