Newguy M3 conversion question

Tad

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,
I know I saw this discussion, but for the life of me I can't find the thread.
I'd like to convert my M3 to a 4 cell using an after market extension but I'd like to know which bulbs I need to use to keep from melting anything.
Thanks/Tad

mdocod

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Well.... If you have a standard M3 (not the M3T), then conversion to a 4 cell is going to be a problem as their aren't any "12V" lamps available with the shorter tower hight that the M3 bezel accepts. only "9V" style lamp assemblies are available for the M3 head. So in order to go to a 4 cell design you would also need to pick up a Millennium Turbo head so that you can use "12V" lamps like the MN60 and MN61. Which would turn your light into a makeshift M4 (Basically you need to either order a KT4 and sell off the bulbs, or look for the stand alone turbo head somewhere like BST)....

If you are basically looking for brighter, one option is to run the 1 cell extender, and use a pair of 17670 sized rechargeable li-ion cells to drive an MN11 or an EO-M3 from LumensFactory.

Tad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Much! This is all new to me... who knew I wasn't just nuts to love cutting a hole in the dark :< )