Single LED light=3000 lux... Will a triple LED light do 9000 lux?

fire-stick

Enlightened
Basically a lux question...

But does the lux increase proportionally with the amount of LED's?

(1 LED=3000, lux 2 LED's=6000 lux, 3 LED's=9000 lux, ect..?)

Thanks

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a question I wondered about too. Lux is mainly a brightness measurement for a section of the beam's width, and gives you an idea of the throw. I always figured that adding more emitters would only increase the total light output, not increase the throw.

Then I got an Ultrafire WF-500 Tri-Cree light. All three emitters are angled in to focus into one tight spot. With one emitter on, the lux is 5500...two emitters gives 10,500....all three emitters shows 15,000 lux.

So, I guess it depends on how the emitters are pointed. If they were all angled outward, I would expect the lux value to stay the same. Not really sure...

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general terms- no the lux will not quite increase by 3 times , the lumens will. Lux(how much throw) is the measure of how much light you get in a single point 1 meter away(how well the reflector can focus the beam). Lumens are the total light output. If you want a thrower, you are better off going with a single LED using a wider, and deeper reflector(DBS~29000 lux, A9~22000). With the multi emitter lights you get a wider hotspot(think wall of light. Two lights can put out the same amount of light(lumens), but depending on the reflector put out vastly different lux numbers(thrower or floody, op or smooth reflector).

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not an expert, but the following seems to me to be true based on logic and a vivid imagination :) ;

If you have a system that puts 3000 lux on a particular spot, then three of them will put 9000 on that spot, IF and only if they are all focused (beams are centered) on that spot. But change your distance from that where all the beams coincide and now you have less than three times the light you would have - you'd have to refocus to the new distance.

If you look at multi-emitter lights, all the emitters are firing straight out of the front of the light. So they will put more light on any particular point than a single emitter light of the same type, reflector size, drive etc would. But not, say, 3 times the brightness on any particular spot for a 3 emitter light.

As you get out to the point where the hot spots overlap, then things look a little better. It might be closer to 3x, but I doubt it would ever reach 3x.

fire-stick

Enlightened
I am not an expert, but the following seems to me to be true based on logic and a vivid imagination :) ;

If you have a system that puts 3000 lux on a particular spot, then three of them will put 9000 on that spot, IF and only if they are all focused (beams are centered) on that spot. But change your distance from that where all the beams coincide and now you have less than three times the light you would have - you'd have to refocus to the new distance.

If you look at multi-emitter lights, all the emitters are firing straight out of the front of the light. So they will put more light on any particular point than a single emitter light of the same type, reflector size, drive etc would. But not, say, 3 times the brightness on any particular spot for a 3 emitter light.

As you get out to the point where the hot spots overlap, then things look a little better. It might be closer to 3x, but I doubt it would ever reach 3x.

That makes sence, the beams eventually have to overlap one another.