Torchlight Size

roadie

Enlightened
QNS : Whats the biggest EDC torchlight will u ever carry?

QNS : Whats the biggest non-EDC torchlight u will ever carry?

Currently for a few years, my trusty old surefire D3 has been my EDC....

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
You can't carry that, get real. Check this one (mentioned in a thread here somewhere): http://www.megaray.com/mr175images.htm

long_lens.jpg

z96Cobra

Enlightened
You can't carry that, get real. Check this one (mentioned in a thread here somewhere): http://www.megaray.com/mr175images.htm

The OP said...

what do u think its the most suitable size of a torch, say for edc or mission specific purposes?

So, for Crenshaw, that is what HE wants. I would love one of those, or the 4 unit searchlight I saw at a grand opening for a store a few months back. I would love to have an AE HID too though!

Roger

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty much a single cell type of guy. All my lights have to be pocketable. Considering how bright LED's are getting, I can't see myself ever buying a multicell light or a light using anything bigger than AA or CR123. I'm probably limiting myself but I just find single cell lights easier to carry and to use in general. (Limiting myself also helps the wallet)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP said...

So, for Crenshaw, that is what HE wants. I would love one of those, or the 4 unit searchlight I saw at a grand opening for a store a few months back. I would love to have an AE HID too though!

Roger
:wave: closest i could get to a hi-five..

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178130

is interesting to, and a little more "real" as cat suggests i should get...:D

Crenshaw

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I think a MagLite D6 is way to big for me to carry around! Even if I should have it in the car, its better to have the batteries in paralell if 6 D batts are being used in my opinion. The D6 is serving two purposes though....one as a light, the other as an bat :)

The biggest sized EDC light is around a 1 X CR123a light, on nightwaltks I could take a SF 9P, with cargo pants you wont even know you have it with you.

The biggest size I could bring with me is probably a harbor freight light. But only if I had my car to bring it where I would use it :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
omg...joke...JOKE!

:faint:

and anyway, i seriously doubt ANYONE carries even mag 6D as an EDC, let alone something bigger, so if you are saying that your post is PURELY about EDCing, then its self-contradicting....

and it was a joke! i dont plan to edc that monster, i wont even edc a 6d, i dont even edc a 2 cr123a sized light....

as for mission specific, YOU said mission specific, so it is entirely plausible that i might need THAT big a light to maybe light up flags at the top of buidings or something....

anyway,lets just get back to the topic.....

Crenshaw

Last edited:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6D and I'm not small (6' 2", 225lb) and I won't carry it. It's just plain too unwieldy. It was a great basis for a mod though!

The largest light I carry every day is a Surefire A2. The largest I *will* carry if I need to is a AmondoTech N30, if I need a lot of light.

I do have a bigger light in my car, but I don't have to carry that - that car does :)

Gnufsh

Enlightened
For edc, 1-4 AA size or 18650 size. Depending on what I'm doing, I may bring along a streamlight litebox sized light (a little bigger would be OK too).

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
I almost exclusivley belt carry and the largest light I'm comfortable with is an A2.... Carrying lights to destinations such as camping/hunting/fishing will include larger lights like an older 9N with T-1 turbo head, or maybe an 8AX. Todays smaller and brighter lights/bulbs/emitters really make it difficult for me to keep hauling out the old timers. I can get more lumens and similar or even better runtime with say a Vital Gear FB3 or 9P with a LF HO or EO bulb and 17500's rechargeables in a very much smaller package. Heck, swap out the incan bulbs in the same lights I just mentioned with LED's like a Q5 and that pretty much covers all the bases.

In the winter time, I can carry the Vital Gear setup in a coat pocket, with pocket clip very comfortably.

Bob

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
I'd say a 2D Mag is the biggest for duty carry (soon to be replaced by a M6!) and for EDC the SF U2 is the biggest it would get.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC I'd go with a max size of a 2xAA or a 2xCR123A formfactor.

Possible may be a 3xCR123A formfactor, when the 2008 Tx Inovas come out in this formfactor I'll check them out and see whether they are OK to carry around on my person.

With a holster, you can do maybe also a 2xC? But there is not much need really.

roadie

Enlightened
therefore, a M6 or maglite 2D size is the 'ideal' maximium size for any EDC.

any bigger will be a hassle i guess ....

anyone EDC a wolfeye 24W HID ,,,, kekkekekke

:)

jugg2

Enlightened
A 2-3D size is probably the max I would carry. I usually prefer 2XCR123 size, but if it's night or I will end up in the woods at night, I can up the size. For me to carry a 2-3D size light it has got to be puttin out a lot of light though; my T-1 and P2D are really enough for almost any situation I will encounter.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pocket:
AAAs - L0D CE, UK2AAAeLED.
1xAA - Civictor V1.

Belt:
1xAA - L1P, L1T v2.0, MTE SSC 1 stage.

House (not normally EDC)
2xAA inline - Gelbrite, Minimag.
4xAA stubby - Turtlelight.
4xAAA stubby - Elektrolumens My Little Friend.

I do not want anything bigger than my 2C Mag.

KingGlamis

Banned
The biggest light I ever EDC is a 4x123A. It fits in my pocket, but just barely. More appropriate is a 2x123A light (Fenix P3D for example). I can't imagine anyone saying that isn't comfortable in their pocket, it's TINY! Those that say they only EDC single cell lights must have pants that are too tight. :eek: