RaidFire® SpearTM

ydna

Newly Enlightened
Received my Spear today. Come in a nice package. The construction is good. No flaw about the anodizing. The logo is printed on the knurling. Make it a bit unclear. Mode is switch by turning the head. No flicking on low mode. Mode changing works great with the forward clicky rear button. The tail is flat so that it can stand.

The output is great. The hotspot is slightly larger than DBS and Tiablo A9. The lux reading reports that the throw ability is very good as well. It has a yellow corona around the hotspot. But it should not be noticeable in actual use. It runs with single 18650 cell. Battery tube fits protected cell with ample room.

Lux Reading at 1 meter
DBS Q5: 21300
Spear Q5: 22200
Tiablo A9 P3: 15700

Here are some pictures.

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
5-6% less in regards to these intial figures sounds good enough for me; as it appears that I've bought into something that holds its own in comparison to the best (presently) out there with a little more (imo) 'style' to boot.
Thanks for being the first to review this for us! :)

Last edited:

j3bnl

Enlightened
Nice review and pics buddy.
Initial Lux readings are quite impressive and it compares well against the DBS which is regarded by most as the throw champion.
Cant wait to get my hands on mine!!

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your prompt review.
I think RaidFire works very close to what it has been mentioned.
Your review helps me decide.:thumbsup:

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick review. Sounds like you are very positive about the light.

How low is the low mode? Is it Fenix T1 like (bright-mostly for runtime), or quite a bit lower?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review:thumbsup:

Looking forward to getting mine.:grin2:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I just hope mine gets here before Christmas so I can show it to my flashaholic brother.
The light looks great all around, but I really wish they wouldn't have tattood the light quite so much. I could have done with only the Raidfire logo on the side, nothing else.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all A9's are Q5. The A8 had the regular version(I believe these were Q2 or possibly P4 ) and the special edition Q5's. The A9 was released as a Limited Edition Q5 light that could tailstand, use RCR123's, Cr123"s(no 3 minutes on low before high worked) and an 18650. Basically taking care of the complaints some had about the A8. IIRC

Last edited:

ydna

Newly Enlightened
I believe all A9's are Q5. The A8 had the regular version(I believe these were Q2 or possibly P4 ) and the special edition Q5's. The A9 was released as a Limited Edition Q5 light that could tailstand, use RCR123's, Cr123"s(no 3 minutes on low before high worked) and an 18650. Basically taking care of the complaints some had about the A8. IIRC
Believe it or not. My A9 uses P3. It has only 3 bonding wire on the LED. I'm going to replace it with Q5.

ydna

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick review. Sounds like you are very positive about the light.

How low is the low mode? Is it Fenix T1 like (bright-mostly for runtime), or quite a bit lower?
I don't own Fenix T1. According to the sales thread, the low mode is about 2%. I doubt the usage of such low mode for this kind of throw monsters. The hotspot is tight and you won't see too much.
The forward clicky works great. It'll activate with a slight press. The feeling is like ordinary reserve clicky switch, not too long or too short.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures. :thumbsup:
That is a nice looking light. I can't wait to see what EDGE Tac comes out with next.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I don't own Fenix T1. According to the sales thread, the low mode is about 2%. I doubt the usage of such low mode for this kind of throw monsters. The hotspot is tight and you won't see too much.
The forward clicky works great. It'll activate with a slight press. The feeling is like ordinary reserve clicky switch, not too long or too short.

Thanks for the information. From your usage, it sounds like the low is too low for this kind of light built for throw. A 3rd middle level would have been perfect.

Rzr800

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. From your usage, it sounds like the low is too low for this kind of light built for throw. A 3rd middle level would have been perfect.

When they offer all of these different modes (especially beyond very low and very high) is there some kind of a 'tradeoff' in terms of how the circuitry is designed? With my follow up question being (I suppose) why isn't there a 'lo low' on all of the other throwers? (I'm the type of guy who never considered lamping my M6 with the 250 lumen bulb; yet who wishes that he could use it as a regular 200 hour flashlight as well).