Fenix P2D: Any protections against explosive venting?

heavyled

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

First-time poster here. I've owned a 1st-generation Inova X5 for a number of years and just recently ordered a Fenix P2Dce to use as an EDC.

I came across NewBie's monster thread on 123 Primary Lithium cell failure and am now wondering whether I'll be carrying what could be an explosive device in my front pocket. :ohgeez:

I do realize that NewBie's testing is centered around mismatched, 2-cell setups, and that 1-cell failures are rare. So, a 1-cell light, like the P2D should be relatively safe.

Nevertheless, I am wondering about the safety features, if any, of the P2D. I understand that what increases the danger of an explosive venting event is when the event occurs in an airtight flashlight. Hence, my question, does the P2D have any provisions to vent any gasses to the outside?

A related question is, at what cell voltage does the P2D cut off? I got the impression that one of the factors that could lead to explosive failure is severe overdischarging.

Thanks for any replies!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
since the P2D uses the same circuit as the L1D it doesn't cut off at all, it just keeps on draining the battery 'til the internal resistance becomes too high

daveman

Enlightened
Nevertheless, I am wondering about the safety features, if any, of the P2D. I understand that what increases the danger of an explosive venting event is when the event occurs in an airtight flashlight. Hence, my question, does the P2D have any provisions to vent any gasses to the outside?
The P2D has as much safety feature regarding cr123 batteries as Surefire and Peak lights; so it's everybit as dangerous as the Surefires and Peaks :D.

Oh, and :welcome:.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There isn't any way to vent a flashlight that's so watertight that it still works after some posters have accidentally run it through the washing machine and others have purposely taken it diving.

And I only recall one post in the history of CPF where somebody had a single-cell flashlight blow, so I wouldn't worry.

That being said, the best safety feature of any flashlight is a quality battery; in the case of primaries, Panasonic (aka Surefire), Duracell, and Energizer. Others need not apply.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
like star halo said....stick with name brand cells and you will be fine. i would also add streamlight to that list of name brand cells.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a cell vent, the tailcap button will expand and eventualy give way. Not sure if that is the safety feature you are looking for.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Tailcap will be the outlet if the battery vents. IIRC, Fenix also includes replacement tailcaps just in case.

:welcome:

Enjoy your light:

heavyled

Newly Enlightened
If you have a cell vent, the tailcap button will expand and eventualy give way. Not sure if that is the safety feature you are looking for.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. To the above, no, this isn't exactly what I had in mind because I would imagine that the tailcap would give way with quite a significant force. Furthermore, from what I've read, there's no guarantee that the tailcap will give way first. The front end could go first, with deadly shards of glass!

Anyway, my purpose is to avoid injury. I get the feeling that the chances of anything bad happening will be extremely rare. I will simply have to take my chances.

As to sticking with name-brand cells, anyone have thoughts on the Batterystation cells? They seemed to be really popular. Have they fallen out of favor?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most if not all of the CR123 battery ventings that I've seen happen with Batterystation cells in a 2 cell or more configration, but they seem to be fine with 1 cell applications.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Never known a 1 cell to go all Kablosiony. Bet I could make one do it though! Time to wake up the neighbors again! Wheeeeee:devil:

I never said they couldn't, just that I have never known of one to do it!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always some small risk. If you're not willing to take the risk, go with a AA light, etc.

Do the Titanium batteries have some kind of circuit in them to prevent the batteries from being damaged? Or was I reading something wrong?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. To the above, no, this isn't exactly what I had in mind because I would imagine that the tailcap would give way with quite a significant force. Furthermore, from what I've read, there's no guarantee that the tailcap will give way first. The front end could go first, with deadly shards of glass!
well, the answers were not specific enough and You might not have seen pics like THIS:

Fenix_Aufgeblasen.JPG

thats what happens when the batt vents --> the rubber cap makes a balloon.
Dont know if this helps ;) but at least a Fenix will not shoot its front or end parts around.

PS: the best thing were to put a hole through the rubber with a needle. Cap should still be tight enough for short tinkering in water but wont blow up.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use cheap batteries. There's always some risk. Does the utility of the light outweigh the small risk of battery venting?
Personally I think it does.