2 x RCR123 or 1 x 17670?

dano101

Enlightened
Ok... after looking through my recipts over the last year (2007) I discovered that ive spent roughly $250 on CR123 batteries... And this was at the standard $2/battery amount not the $6/battery department store amount.

Examining that amount, i really feel that 2008 will be the year of an attempt at rechargeables for me... and im going to start with my worst 'draining' culprit; the one that gets alot of use from both myself and friends... my good ole' Surefire 6P.

As for setup, ive come to 2 conclusions... 1. I need rechargeables for it. 2. I need expert advice on some rechargeable options, mainly do i do a 1 X 17670 setup or a 2 X RCR123 setup.

Doing a bit of research i found 2 things... idiots like me often end up throwing 2 RCR 3.7V batteries in lights with 6V bulbs and blowing them up. I know not to do that, however im often forgetful about what lamp i have in what light... as i run about 6 different 6P style (G2, G2Z, m2,) lights. I also found that you should probably run an AW battery as idiots like me have less problems with them for some reason (Cheers to AW).

Ok after that long winded explanation, heres 2 possible scenarios i was looking at....

1. Use an 17670 (or maybe later bored 18650) AW 3.7V rechargeable to power up an Lumensfactory HO-4 150 lumen bulb or

2. Use 2 X AW RCR123 3.7V rechargeables to power a Surefire P90, or Lumensfactory ES-9 or SR-9 bulb.

Which do you think would be a better setup? Or would you reccomend a totally different setup? (taking into account this light is staying stock without 1 cell extenders etc)

My preference for setup personally would be #1

Thanks a bunch,

Dano

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say get a LED module that can compensate for different voltage, and not worrying about matching voltage to incan bulbs.

dano101

Enlightened
Ive got several different LED drop-ins for the 6P style already (including my newest Cree Q5 drop-in). But Id like to keep using this one as an Incan light...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it use a circult to limit voltage to 3.0v within 12ms of startup, so you still have 12ms of whatever voltage the cell is at. I don't know if that surge will fry incan bulbs thou.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I bought the 3.0v rechargeables ones from Battery Station and they have worked flawlessly in my 6p's and everything else. Tenergy RCR 123a is the battery.

I bought them with the recommended charger ( I think they offer it in a package).

They have worked for me

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
Go with the 17670 and HO-4

You get about 10 minutes longer runtime and slightly (although not noticable) higher lumens than 2x16340 and the ES-9

Don't use the 3.0v RCR123's - that 12ms surge isn't the only problem...they don't have enough voltage sag either...avoid them!

Daekar

Enlightened

You get about 10 minutes longer runtime and slightly (although not noticable) higher lumens than 2x16340 and the ES-9

Don't use the 3.0v RCR123's - that 12ms surge isn't the only problem...they don't have enough voltage sag either...avoid them!

+1 to avoid 3.0V RCR123's... you'll end up changing bulbs instead of batteries. If you can bore out the 6P and fit an 18650 in there, that's what I'd go with - otherwise, the 17670 will do just fine.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I heard though that 3.0V rechargeables cant really be used as 3.0V primary replacements

and

im not sure. Ive just read alot on here of ppl using 3V rechargeables and frying or blowing bulbs

The 3.0V RCR123's work fine in every light I've tried 'em in. If someone blew a bulb/LED it was most likely the 3.7V ones. The 3.0V can very well replace primaries, but expect about half the runtime. I would recommend having 2 sets (minimum) on hand, so you are never out of light.

Roger

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm really happy with this setup in my G2. It is almost exactly like the stock G2 but rechargeable. :thumbsup:

dano101

Enlightened
thanks cave dave. I think im resolved now to running the 17670 with the EO-4 or HO-4. Il like the idea of a 1 battery rechargeable setup, so i can keep 2 going on my charger at the same time. If i use the RCR method, ill only be able to get one charge going. And yah, ill definately consider boring it to accomodate an 18650. Just hope that doesnt compromise my future ability to run CR123's or the 17670. I juess if all else fails ill use a small cilindrical piece of paper.

dano101

Enlightened
thanks cave dave. I think im resolved now to running the 17670 with the EO-4 or HO-4. Il like the idea of a 1 battery rechargeable setup, so i can keep 2 going on my charger at the same time. If i use the RCR method, ill only be able to get one charge going. And yah, ill definately consider boring it to accomodate an 18650. Just hope that doesnt compromise my future ability to run CR123's or the 17670. I juess if all else fails ill use a small cilindrical piece of paper.