Deree DBS vs Lowes TF?

jake25

Enlightened
I only have a few lights, EYJ U2 Clone w/ Q5, and a Lowes TF3W. The lowes is extremely bright for a P4, already a brighter hotspot than the EYJ w/ the Q5

when i do get a Q5 into the lowes it would be no competition. what i was wondering, since i dont have a DBS , does anyone here have a DBS and a Lowes TF? it seems like the TF is a very very very good thrower, however i just cant image something being even brighter than that

any input is appreciated.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up the TF. I have the ROV 4W 3C which I modded to a Q5. I didn't put a Q5 in the Taskforce, not sure if I will since it only has 3V to work with, which may result in the Q5 not being any brighter than the P4 due to the higher Vf of the Q5.

The DBS will out throw both. Q5 won't matter, the DBS has a tighter spot, and has more current going to the emitter.

Edit:

Just took LUX reading, got 6,200LUX at one meter with the stock TF. That's no where close to my DBS which reads a little over 26,000LUX. My Dereelight CL1H reads 9,300LUX with a Q5 and smooth reflector, and the Dereelight is much smaller than this TF light.

For $29, available at Lowes, 6,200LUX is great, but it's not going to compete with the big throwers.

Also I should add I did get a nice increase with my ROV Cree when I put in the Q5, but it's using 3C's, so it has 4.5v to work with, but once the voltage sags below the Vf of the Q5, it maybe no brighter than the P4 was.

Last edited:

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Jake25....I was just going to put up a post to refer you to some of WadeF's tests & remarks on the Dereelight products....I see he has provided you with some answers...I would only like to add that I have purchased a Dreelight module based on WadeF's results/remarks and I consider his information to be 100% dead on target...very excellent...William

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until a few days ago, I had both the DBS w/Q5 and the new 2C TF Cree. The TF Cree IS a pretty good thrower, and an EXCELLENT light for the price! But all things being equal, the DBS simply blew it away in terms of throw...which isn't a slam on the TF by any means! The DBS is just THAT impressive in terms of throw! The TF throws pretty darn good, but the DBS was MADE for throw, and it shows!

PJD

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several different Dereelight pills available.
Generally for the Dereelight stuff the Digital pills mean that they are made only for using 18650 cells. And because they're built for using just that kind of cell they work very very well. Flat flat regulation. The digitals are brighter and they stay bright thru the entire battery life.

The non digital pills can take 2 CR123s and 18650, or 2 RCR123s. The output isnt' flat and the overall drive level isn't as high. More versatile to use in a pinch but not quite as good of a performance as the digital.