Any Red/Blue bi-color LEDs?

Willmore

Enlightened
I haven't asked this for a long time nor in this forum, so maybe I'll discover something new this time.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen bicolor LEDs which are red/blue instead of the traditional red/green? I'm one of the many millions of males who are colorblind and I have a really hard time telling the red and green apart in traditional bicolor LEDs. Now, modern GaN LEDs are *green* and high brightness reds are *red*, but the dies they use in your normal cheap bicolors are the ancient orangey-red and yellowish-green, not the modern ones.

If they used modern dies, I think I could easily tell the colors apart, but I would like it a great deal more if it were as obvious as blue and red would make it.

Anyone heard of anything like this? Why are poor bicolor LEDs stuck in the dark ages? (pun intended) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have these bi-color LEDs.
Common cathode, anodes are (+)red and (+)blue.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/saurus.htm
I have these for $2.50 apiece; the only other place that has these charges $5.00 apiece for them.

Depending on current supplied to each chip, they will glow red, blue, or any combination thereof (magenta, hot "barbie pink", shades of purple, etc.) Much brighter than average for a diffused lens bi-color LED.

Willmore

Enlightened
Those are damn close to what I'd like, but I need them to be somewhat more electrically drop in compatible with the normal bi-color LEDs. You know, the cathode of one die is connected to the annode of the other die and vise-versa so that there are just two pins and the whole thing just looks like a normal LED.

I hate not being able to tell when my CH-204F is done charging... any my Libretto, etc.

Hemingray

Enlightened
I suppose any decent RGB LED would also work, just use the R abd B and not the G... If you can differentiate yellow from blue easier, tie the R and G together. the red will need more resistance then the green, give the blue the same resistance as the blue to limit current.

I dunno if any of the other brand RGB LEDs use 2 reds in series, would make life easier.

/ed B in NH

Willmore

Enlightened
People being really clever about driving normal bicolors use this dual resistor one diode arrangement that allows the current flow in both directions to be controlled independently. Given that may already be in the existing ckt (or it might just not care) I can expect a good deal less current for the higher voltage drop of a blue vs that of the reverse red. That I can live with.

*sigh* Just bought another device with a green/red bicolor in it. One would think that with modern surface mount packages becoming popular for LEDs--and whigh don't come in bi-color varieties--there might be the chance that I'll be able to lift off the, now independent, green chip. Hmm, guess I'll need to go get some blue SMD LEDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There might be hope, yet.