Just A Couple More Questions About the New L1

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
ok so me and my buddy went to bas pro shops today to get some batteries to include in the gifts we got(no one wants unpackaged batteries to go with a flashlight right?) While we were there of course we went to the surefire display, and I got to play with the L1.. now I'm assuming it was the old model(The one with the Luxeon LED, before the new cree.) This little sucker was pretty bright for being in a completely light store, the low was clearly visible on the floor, and the high was more than visible.

my only concern though is that the LED seemed to have a blueish tint, or was I seeing things? If it's a Luxeon I figured that might have been a reason, or it also could've been the batteries were dying off. Should I worry about this on the new L1(mines being shipped now, should probably be here Monday of next week.) Also, the tail cap didn't click on, it just pushed on and you had to twist it to get it to stay on. Is the new L1 like this?
Overall even with the batteries dying, for 20 lumens(I'm pretty sure that's how bright the old one is right?) that light was very bright, and can only imagine how good the new one will be once I get it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. Use the Google Search, CPF only, toolbar at the top of every CPF page, and search for L1, L1 Cree, or any other variation of L1, and you will find TONS of info, and quicker than waiting for replies, though people will assist your here, I am sure. The best feature of CPF is information that is available by searching.

Bill

ja10

Enlightened
The Luxeon L1 uses a tightly focused optic that has quite a few artifacts, including tint issues. The new Cree L1 does not have these problems.

The tailcap is a twisty with momentary on, and this has not changed on the new L1. It is not a typical click-on click-off light that you might be used to. I think this is a good thing, since it seems to be more reliable, and it also allows for more than one level. Twist on for low, and twist more for high. This is difficult to accomplish with a clickie.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
my only concern though is that the LED seemed to have a blueish tint, or was I seeing things? If it's a Luxeon I figured that might have been a reason, or it also could've been the batteries were dying off. Should I worry about this on the new L1(mines being shipped now, should probably be here Monday of next week.) Also, the tail cap didn't click on, it just pushed on and you had to twist it to get it to stay on. Is the new L1 like this?
Overall even with the batteries dying, for 20 lumens(I'm pretty sure that's how bright the old one is right?) that light was very bright, and can only imagine how good the new one will be once I get it.

Normal for Luxeon lights. The tint is typical. BUT (and this is a big but) the runtime on the old L1 is HUGELY longer than the new. So there is imho a place for both lights.

The Cree will be very white. I love mine.