Got burned today

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I dont really ever post on cpf that much anymore, so Hi to all my good friends that I have delt with over the past few years.

So I was in shop today. after that teacher told us about our finals I went and started welding. I am the most advanced welder in the whole class, no lie. anyway I went to my locker got my helmet, gloves, and saftey glasses out . I went and got my piece of metal to do my bead on. I set it up so I could do my vertical arc weld. I got a few good welds in but still trying for the A+ weld. as I am on my fourth vertical weld I feel this heat near my leg. There are other welding near me and I thought someone put a peice of metal near me that they just finished welding on. After I get done with my weld I lift up my hood and look down and see that my pants are on fire, about a foot up my right leg. I start jumping around and throw my 150+ dollar welding helmet about 15 feet back. I had one glove on but I did not have one on the other hand. I was trying pat it out but could not get it out. I was cussing and yelling for help while all my "classmates" were standing around laughing because I was on fire. The shop teacher was on the other side of the shop helping another student. I was going to take my pants off:duck: but I could not get my shop coat off. All the students that were pointing and laughing smartly said "your suppose to stop drop and roll'' But I could not get it out still. I was freaking out. Finally my friend who was welding while this was going on and did not notice as he was doing what he was suppose to do ran over with his gloves on and put it out. Me and Mr. Pollart went into the bath room and put a wet paper towel on it to sooth the extreme pain. We got my mom called to go to the doctor. It took us one hour to get to the doctor, that was the longest ride of my life. We have to go to my doctor as Most of you know I have cystic fibrosis and He is my prime doctor. he told me I have 2nd degree burns on two big spots on the front and back of my Calf/ under the kneecap. around those burns I have only first degree burns but it still hurts like h*ll. I have to go to physical therapy for a few day. I must sit in a whirlpool for twenty minutes then they will pull off the burnt skin and that REALLY hurts.
On the side note I think i got a darn good weld done as this was about to take place.

And that how my day went.
David Miller

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot believe those morons who stood there and laughed at you and did nothing to help. Simply incredible! People are freaking NUTS nowadays and it keeps getting worse every day. I hope you recover quickly BB, at least you had one "friend who helped you out. Why didn't the "teacher" help you?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why didn't the "teacher" help you?
He was across the shop in his office helping another kid draw up plans. we have a very small class. there are only eight of us. He did nothing wrong but not have medical supply's. and the nurse was gone today, and our shop is a looong ways from the high school building.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch ouch ouch ouch... it hurts just to read that.
I'm sorry it happened to you, burns are some of the most painful things you can have.
Oh, and your classmates are idiots. If you're in the USA maybe you could take advantage of being in a lawsuit-happy country and sue them all for lack of help... I know I would want to do that, they really deserve it :mad:

jugg2

Enlightened
Wow, I hope you get better soon. I can't believe your classmate just stood there laughing, that is ridiculous. At least they could have put the fire out. Next time throw a few sparks their way, and when they catch on fire see how they like it...:naughty::devil: Or maybe not, that would only make things worse...

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not going to press charges on anyone as the teacher did nothing wrong and me and him have been friends since i was a pee wee. Anyway I dont have the time nor the money.

It was funny when I got to the doctor I was in great pain and a little irratible and the nurse said "you know you are lucky it could have been a lot worse and I siad back '' yea buy it could have been a lot better''.

I am have a bad week first I loose my only surefire my A2 now I get burned.:shakehead

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
a curse be on those who did not help...:scowl:

hope you recover fast and well..

Crenshaw

PS:for a moment i thought it'd be a crazy story about some incan mod that burnt you

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear this happened! And glad it wasn't a story about making a $200-500 purchase and it not showing up :D

Walt175

Enlightened
Wow! I'm glad you'll be ok.

When I was in metal shop in high school, only 2 students could weld at a time, and a third was always manning a fire extinguisher. Just in case....

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
High school is one of the toughest crowds, especially today.

Sounds like the shop needs to do more safety training, everyone should have known what to do in this scenario. Major safety failure there. This is the shop teachers responsibility to teach and ensure a safety attitude.

Personal protective equipment is also inadequate, it sounds like.

Hang in there.

-- Alan

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, sorry to hear about the burn. What's worse is the attitude of those present when it happened...I can't imagine someone just standing there and laughing when something like that is happening.

Also a shame about the A2 :sigh: Perhaps between us we could scrape together enough for a new one? :eek: It is Christmas after all :thumbsup: $20 from me if people want to chip in.

Regards,
Tempest

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

My A2had white LEDS and an oregonshooter tial guard. But is was special to me as my father got it for me for my birthday. So it is not replacable.