Ordered a Streamlight TLR1. Just how hard to Seoul?

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
I'm a DIY type, but I am BAD at it. I sent a PM to one of the prestigious modders asking if he would do it, but he hasn't gotten back to me in a week.

It's a pretty straightforward job to desolder and pry off the Luxeon, then thermal epoxy and solder the SSC, right?
Keep in mind it took me 3 hours to install a car stereo; 2 hours to install a relay in the truck after weeks of deliberation; 2 hours to jump a fuse to wire fog lights; and several hours to SSC a M@G.

Does it have to be SSC? What about a Cree? Or a Rebel? What would it do to the beam shape?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a DIY type, but I am BAD at it. I sent a PM to one of the prestigious modders asking if he would do it, but he hasn't gotten back to me in a week.

It's a pretty straightforward job to desolder and pry off the Luxeon, then thermal epoxy and solder the SSC, right?
Keep in mind it took me 3 hours to install a car stereo; 2 hours to install a relay in the truck after weeks of deliberation; 2 hours to jump a fuse to wire fog lights; and several hours to SSC a M@G.

Does it have to be SSC? What about a Cree? Or a Rebel? What would it do to the beam shape?

Chances are it would be just as easy as you say. You might even get lucky and find that the LED is mounted to a star, which would make the job even easier.

Go for it! And most of all, have fun. :thumbsup:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
As datiLED said, open it open and see what is inside. If it's a star, see if you can remove the whole star easily. If so, replace the star with a pre-mounted Seoul on a star. If not, look at this post about a Seoul mod on a Streamlight Scorpion LED. He talks about what he went through to "remove" the plastic piece that was on to of the star and then replacing just the emitter. If you have to replace just the emitter, will need to shim up the Seoul a bit. Search around for Seoul shimming... :)

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
Inside pics of the TLR1.

CIMG1441.jpg

CIMG1442.jpg

dijon

Last edited:

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
I corrected the pictures. I moved them on photobucket and the links didn't work anymore, typical IO(ignorant operator) error:rolleyes:

dijon

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Now that we can see the pics, I'd say take nanotech17's advise and put in a newer K2. You won't have to worry about shimming the Seoul to raise it a little to match, which would make life a LOT easier for you working on that light. Don't forget to take before and after pictures!

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Dijon, thanks for the photo! I thought they were still coming in as stars.

others, thanks, I'll go the K2 route if necessary.
I took a quick look at the K2s offered at LEDsupply, Should I put in a low current or high current emitter, or the V-bin?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
PhotonFanatic is selling K2 TFFC 200 Lumen emitters in the MarketPlace. It's the same link that nanotech17 posted earlier. I've got two on the way so I could comment on them once I receive them, but I think you could get the idea from nanotech's post of him Nuwai mod. Last week I ordered one 180 lumen K2 emitter from Future Electronics (@~$5.50 a piece). I'm trying different emitters in my LumaPower DX1. I was surprised when I got it how warm a tint it was... pleasantly thank goodness! They don't specify the voltage and color bin though.

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I received the light yesterday. First, LAPoliceGear ships FAST!!!!

My thoughts on the light in stock form:
-It won't fit my HK USP9C without some serious modification to both light and gun :(
-It fit my crappy SIG 220ST fine and when fitted to an M4gery the switch is angled a little bit uncomfortably for continual momentary usage.
-The light color is very sterile white. No green, no yellow, not even blueish to my eyes.
-The hot spot is pretty narrow with decent side-spill.
-Compared to my G2 with DX 1447 they look identical on tree tops at night, but indoors the TLR1 has a brighter, tighter hot-spot with slightly less powerful side-spill and approximately the same width (angle) of side-spill.
-Compared to a Seouled 4D Mag with stock reflector (~800-900ma?) the beam of the TLR has fewer artifacts but nowhere near the output and side-spill.
-Theoretically should make a good weapon-light even at moderate distances due to the tight spot and non-textured reflector.

-No star! I'll have to send this one out for modification.

Can anyone recommend a modder to send it to?

Since I won't be doing the modding it will be hard to take photos, but I'll try some before/after photos.

gearbox

Newly Enlightened