Single AA Light - Advise Needed

Chuck Bybee

Newly Enlightened
I'm a long time lurker and recent subscriber.

I'm looking for an LED flashlight for my daughter to take to college.

I'd like the flashlight to have:
• Durable Construction
• Single AA Battery
• High - Med - Low Output
• Tactical Bezel

I have Surefire, Fenix, Streamlight, Pentagon, etc. Most of my flashlights use CR123A batteries. I want her to have something small enough to carry everyday and use in self defense if necessary. Her camera and other electronics use AA batteries. I've already purchased Eneloops and a charger.

Thank you in advance for any advise and links.

dano101

Enlightened
If price is a bit of a consideration, why not try a Jetbeam Jet 1 MKIIR or similar. A bit cheaper than the defender but can still run AA's from standard alkaline 1.5V to MiMH Rechargeables or 3.7V Rechargeable 14500's (i think the AA's are 14500's). Plus being a CPF'er you can now get a deal from bugoutgear on that light.

jugg2

Enlightened
The Fenix AA lights are nice. It's up to you, L1D or L1T V2.0. IMHO a "tactical" or defense bezel on a 1 AA light would probably not be very helpful, but to each his own.:)

Anarchocap

Enlightened
The Fenix AA lights are nice. It's up to you, L1D or L1T V2.0. IMHO a "tactical" or defense bezel on a 1 AA light would probably not be very helpful, but to each his own.:)

I have to agree with this. They are two separate lights. While things are changing, the best tactical lights are going to be the ones with the larger bezels to better concentrate the light source and something that uses more than a 1.5v power source.

LED efficiency + Optics + Power Source != 1AA Pocket Sized EDC Tactical Light. Or at least what I would consider comfortable to carry every day in my pocket.

Honestly, I can't see her carrying around a AA sized light all the time. I get pissed off at the size of my AAA light on my key chain. Realistically, if you want your daughter to have an every day carry light around, an AAA sized light is the one. If you want her to have some element of defense capability, then Pepper Spray is going to help much more than a light.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Please explain to me how a 1AA light could be used for self defense? Throw it at someone?? :)

Not enough length or heft to use as a club.

I gave my kid a 3D Mag for self defense.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote go to Fenix L1T v.2 or Fenix L1D!

Small, single AA, strong, bright...

:welcome:

Chuck Bybee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your for the help.

The link to the comparison of the lights is very useful. The NiteCore looks great. However, I called TAD Gear and they do not know when their shipment will arrive. I'll watch the marketplace for a NiteCore. I'll investigate the Jetbeam and the Fenix. I have a Fenix L1P that I like but it does not have a low output setting.

Please explain to me how a 1AA light could be used for self defense?
You would have to use it as a kubotan type weapon, as you would with a 2-cell light like a 6p, etc.
I agree. What I meant by "Tactical Bezel" is a bezel with scallops or sharp edges. The bezel would be used for striking an aggressor. It is an effective self defense tool.

Nubo

Enlightened
What I meant by "Tactical Bezel" is a bezel with scallops or sharp edges. The bezel would be used for striking an aggressor. It is an effective self defense tool.

Might want to consider some training to go along with that tactical bezel.

extas

Newly Enlightened
i would think that you would want at least a 2 - cr123a sized light if you were gonna hit someone.. i mean a 1 AA light would be smaller than the width of your palm and weight less than 1 C battery. cant really expect to hit much with that.

-ex

Chuck Bybee

Newly Enlightened
Nubo said:
Might want to consider some training to go along with that tactical bezel.
She's had training.

extas said:
i would think that you would want at least a 2 - cr123a sized light if you were gonna hit someone.. i mean a 1 AA light would be smaller than the width of your palm and weight less than 1 C battery. cant really expect to hit much with that.
The Fenix L1P protrudes slightly when clenched in her fist. It will not be used as a club. A light weight light is not a problem and to me is preferable. I think she is more likely to carry something light weight.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'd like to shift away from self defense and back to light recommendations. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
I'd find an AA light that's built to fit a Picatinny rail. Then get the Sig Sauer P229 (.40 S&W) accessory attachment. The light may not hurt you, but the accessory sure will put a dent in someone's day.

prego

Newly Enlightened
I like the L1T V2.0 as well but don't see it available in their online store at the moment.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I only have two AA lights from DX, they are 1xAA's: SKU 5346 & 1993. Neither of them have a bezel with scallops or sharp edges. But the 1xCR123 DX SKU 5444 & 5435 lights do have a bezel with scallops/sharp edges.