Imax B6 charger first impression.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to share my experience with brand new charger.
I just received RC charger that i bought 2 week ago from Hongkong Hobby store at 69.95USD+shipping, shipping took 4 days actualy. Charged several 18650s, amazing even when using 2A charging current the cells is cool and barely any heat. My last charger was Ultrafire WF-139 even at 450mA charging current the 18650 is Luke warm and charging 18650 with 1A 18650 charger from DX make the battery almost too hot. Didnt realize that better charger can charge battery cooler even at almost 1C charging current.

FYI. charger is Imax B6 from Sky RC with PC interface and all (it is a Bantam BC6 clone). Not as good as bantam that almost twice the price. But for the price this charger is OK just dont expect any Uber accurate on reading.

SKYRC website(charger spec.)
http://www.skyrc.cn

thanks.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charged 3 cell lipo pack with this and the output is 4.20 4.20 4.19 i(really good) am not sure if this is an updated version with more accurate reading. I am still waiting for second unit to arrive.

Tidra

Enlightened
rizky_p

How do you connect only one LiPo or Li-Ion on this charger? I am looking to buy the smaller brother Imax B5.

The only idea I got is to connect it on the OUTPUT +- black and red plug in beside balanced connectors, but on some pictures I saw that they connect LiPo on balanced connectors and then OUTPUT +- on the output wires on the cells,....

I alsoo read, that the voltage shown on the LCD display is different in compare DMM...

Thank you
I.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Tidra.

No need of the balance connector when charging one cell.

Imax B6 isn't popular at rcgroups:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746574

Anders

Anders right, single cell doesnt requires balancing Port.

For casual users like me Imax B6 is enough. Though this is not a perfect product, you can buy more expensive and more precise charger like Hyperion 0601AD ot Tritonbut if that is too expensive Imax B6 is an OK charger for the money just dont expect it to performs like Hyperions or Tritons that at least twice the price. Just dont get the Imax B8, not worth the money IMHO get the Hyperion instead.

Tidra

Enlightened
Anders,

So I need to connect Li-xx to output with black and red plug inn's.

Thank you for your post, I already read that post on RCGROUP, but I am just one of those guy's who is building bikelight and some MagLite LED moods and need a better than Ultrafire charger because my Ultrafire constantly overcharge my Li-Ion's and before I buy some AW's Li-Ion's I would like to have better charger.

I would buy DN Power or Tenergy, but I can't find it in EU for normal price,...

I also read that the trouble of IMAX B6 when reading voltage is because they use some 10-15% tolerance resistors, so if someone would change it with resistors with smaller tolerance the measurement of voltage would be more accurate.

Does anyone own IMAX B5, is there a same issue like with IMAX B6?

Thank you
Iztok

Anders

Enlightened
Anders,

So I need to connect Li-xx to output with black and red plug inn's.

Hello Tidra.
If you want to charge a single cell it is enough without balancer yes, only use balancer when charging more than one cell.

My ultrafire 139 also (sometimes) charge too much so I bought a Bantam BC-6, I think it charge to correct V, I don't have a calibrated DMM now Its on my wishlist:p, below 4.2 Volt anyway on my meter.

Thank you for your post, I already read that post on RCGROUP, but I am just one of those guy's who is building bikelight and some MagLite LED moods and need a better than Ultrafire charger because my Ultrafire constantly overcharge my Li-Ion's and before I buy some AW's Li-Ion's I would like to have better charger.

I would buy DN Power or Tenergy, but I can't find it in EU for normal price,...

I also read that the trouble of IMAX B6 when reading voltage is because they use some 10-15% tolerance resistors, so if someone would change it with resistors with smaller tolerance the measurement of voltage would be more accurate.

Does anyone own IMAX B5, is there a same issue like with IMAX B6?

According to this thread B5 isn't good to balance Li-xxx cells.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812651&highlight=imax+b5

I found my Bantam BC-6 near my place for a reasonable price, usually I buy from US because the high prices here in Sweden.

Maybe you can ask Unforgiven to buy a fine charger for you?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=141638

Thank you
Iztok

Anders

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the RC-POWER 601BC, which I believe is the same charger with a different name stamped on it. It seems to charge my Li-Ion's right to 4.21v as read with a Fluke meter.

I prefer to use the 4.1v max setting to save the life of my AW C cells.

One thing I've noticed, If you use the 4.2v setting and charge >2A, you will get one of the cells to trip causing "Connection Break" or "Balancer can not be found" message. I have never had this problem with the 4.1v setting.

One other thing, I have missed the termination on NiMh cells using the "Auto" function. I'm trying 5mv per cell now, but haven't tested too much.

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
I got a BC6 a couple days ago and got the CONNECTION BREAK error with a tripped out AW C cell. Apparently they can be reset by applying 4.5V (for a second or so, I suppose.) I tried that with a 4.5V output "wall wart" I found but it didn't work. When I measured the output of the "wall wart" it seemed to be somewhere around 4.1 - 4.3 - it fluctuated. So I'm wondering what else I could try. ...Yes, now I need the PSU with the 4.5V output after all.