minimag LED mod for longest distance?

IRML

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around the forums for a while, but all these different options for upgrading a minimag to LED is confusing me

I'm looking for an upgrade which makes the longest distance beam of light, is it just the more powerful LED the better in this case? this seems to be the most powerful I've found so far

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/products/MiniStar2Extreme.php?PHPSESSID=8500bb4665c1b3c0825220654aba2462

I've also heard people say the IQ switch is rubbish, but I'd quite like it because of all the light modes, and if the only problem is decreased brightness then I wouldn't mind that if it means increased battery life

do these ultra clear lenses help with brightness or distance? and how does the official LED minimag compare to the unofficial upgrades?

so to sum up I just want someone to recommend me a LED module + other upgrades to put in my minimag because I can't make any sense of this myself

Last edited:

IRML

Newly Enlightened
also with a tail switch does it still have this "patented vented tailcap" thing that they say it has, dunno what it's for but it sounds important

(also are there any of these tail cap switches that match the camo maglite? or are they all black)

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I believe that Terralux drop-in (TLE-5EX) offers the best bang for the buck and will be waaaay brighter than even a regular minimagLED. The only other option for clickies that I've seen is the Kroll clickie for about $5 but it's black, too. Nite-ize also makes a "dumb" clickie for the minimag with none of the multi levels and flashing doodads but the kroll looks better IMO.

IRML

Newly Enlightened
yeah I did check this kroll one but I'd only really want a switch for the extra functions like the 50% and 25% power - especially with something that's as powerful as the TLE-5EX (if it really is 140 lumens like it says) so I can save battery life when the extra power isn't needed

one thing is that this led module comes with a different reflector, would this make the beam distance better or worse?

another thing I've just read on these forums is the colour of the LED is important, I would have thought a white LED is better than an orange incandescent bulb but apparently the orange bulb is clearer, so how good is the colour of this LED?

Last edited:

IRML

Newly Enlightened
and sorry for another question, but can I still keep a spare bulb with this IQ switch?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tle-5ex is brighter than the minimag led but the minimagled has more throw (distance)

IRML

Newly Enlightened
ah ok, is this because the new reflector changes things?

unfortunately they don't do official upgrade kits for the minimag and I'd rather not get a whole new one

there must be some LED mod out there with the same or more throw than the official LED one surely

IRML

Newly Enlightened
ok I've changed my mind and I've decided to just get a new 3aa minimag LED instead, I found a chart online and it looks like it's got the farthest throw of all the modified and un-modified mini maglites, just a shame I can't get it with the camo paint as I quite like that (it's also quite expensive - like $60 here in the UK)

is there any lens and reflector upgrades you can recommend to me? I'm not sure if there's an upgrade for the LED, it seems pretty good just the way they sell it

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok I've changed my mind and I've decided to just get a new 3aa minimag LED instead, I found a chart online and it looks like it's got the farthest throw of all the modified and un-modified mini maglites, just a shame I can't get it with the camo paint as I quite like that (it's also quite expensive - like $60 here in the UK)

is there any lens and reflector upgrades you can recommend to me? I'm not sure if there's an upgrade for the LED, it seems pretty good just the way they sell it

Yikes, why not just get a surefire g2L for that price

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello IRML and welcome to CPF:welcome:

IMO the MM-Led isn't worth the European prices.

I own a 3xAA and modded it with an Edixeon Led = way brighter than stock, but overall building quality, heatsink .......are not as good as Fenix or others.

Beside that, for less money you can get the newest and brightest Leds available (Cree Q5 i.e.).

Good luck and best regards

_____
Tom

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Was it lighthound that had a hotwire mod that was so bright it had a 15 minute runtime from a 2 AA Minimag? The kit had a funny name I just can't remember.

IRML

Newly Enlightened
IRML, why not buy a mag from lighthound. Fast shipping to the UK, i have ordered several things from them, very reliable.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=313
wow great find, this basically cuts the price in half for me, thanks

I definately see what you guys mean about it not being worth the UK price, but if I can get it almost as cheap as US prices from that website then I think it's worth it - I wanted a nice clean, robust and simple design, not too big and not too small, and maybe a couple of mods to help the beam reach as far as possible - the minimag fits those needs

I'm looking into new lenses and reflectors to improve performance but I'm pretty lost with what to get, I don't think there is any way to easily improve the LED, probably not gonna bother with tail switches now because of the loss of power and I'd like to keep the orignal water proof(ish) one

thanks for the input so far guys, any more help on improving throw would be much appreciated, I'm still a newbie and I don't know really what I'm doing too well

edit - lol that site has tasers and stuff, I don't think those would make it into the UK!!!

Last edited:

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
:aaa:The mini mag LED 3AA has no real heatsink ability, the LED will stay bright for about 15min and kind of gradually drop from there. You may want to go with a Fenix L2T v2.0 when they get back in stock.

garence

Newly Enlightened
IRML, why not buy a mag from lighthound. Fast shipping to the UK, i have ordered several things from them, very reliable.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=313
That IS a good price. The TLE-5EX is even more expensive, so just replacing the flashlight is a better deal. Otherwise, if you don't need the brightest LED for the Mini Mag, you can just go with the ArcMania SMJ LED upgrade for only $6.99 (which includes a matching reflector).
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2542

garence

Newly Enlightened
The mini mag LED 3AA has no real heatsink ability, the LED will stay bright for about 15min and kind of gradually drop from there. You may want to go with a Fenix L2T v2.0 when they get back in stock.
I wonder if that's why Lighthound is selling the 3AA cheaper than the 2AA. :thinking:

IRML

Newly Enlightened
:aaa:The mini mag LED 3AA has no real heatsink ability, the LED will stay bright for about 15min and kind of gradually drop from there. You may want to go with a Fenix L2T v2.0 when they get back in stock.
that does look very nice, but it doesn't seem to throw as far as the minimag according to this chart

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

I've heard some people fitted washers around their lights to make better contact and spread the heat into the handle, is this possible with this 3AA LED minimag?