Need help with new light

cjaldea

Newly Enlightened
Hello all-

I'm new to this forum and am amazed at all the information available. Here is my dillemma: I work in public safety (nights) and need to get a new light. Currently I am using a steamlight sl-20x as a primary and a streamlight strion on my belt as backup. I am getting rid of the strion as i am not impressed at all with it. Since the last year when i bought my last light there seems to have been an explosion of high powered led lights out there. I was planning on getting a surefire and adding a cree led dropin but since logging on to cpf have heard of so many different brands. Ideally I want something bright, with a decent runtime, click on/off tailcap, and sized so i can carry it on my belt. The surefire seems about right but adding extras can make it pretty spendy. Are some of the lights I have read about such as fenix, tiable, dereelight (sp), wolfeyes quality lights? They seem to have a lot of features I am looking for but they cost less than a surefire. I just don't want to drop $75-100 and have the light go out after a few months.

And finally, when i eventually decide to shelve the old sl-20x, what are some good alternatives as far as full size led primary lights. I saw a wolf-eyes light w/3 cree led modules that said it produces 500 lumens and was wondering if it is as good as it looks. I really appreciate the responsed I get and look forward to learning more about lights from everyone. Thanks!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Wolfeye and Dereelight are said to be similar to Surefire in quality. Fenix lights are also pretty durable, try this thread.

What are you looking for in your new light?

Welcome back!