Fenix L2D head +L1D body

pipspeak

Enlightened
Just wanted to check this is right... I have an L2D Q5 which works fine in all modes. When I put on the L1D body and run it with the Q5 head, however, the "high" output is the same as "max" (or turbo) from what I can tell, so I've essentially lost one output setting.

Is that right? It seems to be according to the flashlightreviews.com review of the L1D, which noted the high and max settings were very similar but I'm curious if switching the bodies on a Q5 head cripples anything.

meuge

Enlightened
Just wanted to check this is right... I have an L2D Q5 which works fine in all modes. When I put on the L1D body and run it with the Q5 head, however, the "high" output is the same as "max" (or turbo) from what I can tell, so I've essentially lost one output setting.

Is that right? It seems to be according to the flashlightreviews.com review of the L1D, which noted the high and max settings were very similar but I'm curious if switching the bodies on a Q5 head cripples anything.
It's not "exactly" the same, but yes, when you use only 1 AA battery, the Fenix lights' Turbo is only about 10% brighter than the "High"... which isn't enough to notice by eye.

If you want a small package with a full-power Turbo beam, the Fenix P2D comes to mind... that's what I've been carrying, while my L2D has become my all-around light. I used it on hikes, but now the T1 will become my main hike light.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
that's right.
on 1.2 volts it can't get enough power for a good turbo
it actually is a little brighter, but not by much.
put a 14500 in there and you'll get your turbo back.
that is my next edc! (on its way)

pipspeak

Enlightened
OK, thanks... I'm not bothered and really only bought the L1D tube for traveling, otherwise I'll stick with the L2D body most of the time which makes the thing scarey bright on max.

meuge

Enlightened
that's right.
on 1.2 volts it can't get enough power for a good turbo
it actually is a little brighter, but not by much.
put a 14500 in there and you'll get your turbo back.
that is my next edc! (on its way)

I would love to be able to do that, since I like the AA size better than CR123 (the P2D, while very nice, is just too small for my hands).

The problem with using a 14500, is that you lose the low modes, which doesn't qualify to be an EDC (I would like to have an option to use my light for several hours in an emergency).

If Fenix ever redesigns their circuits to regulate up to 4.2V as opposed to 3.4, I will buy that light in a second.