Would a G2l survive a drop from plane?

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Ok, heres the scenario: Your at 6000 ft. circling a feild getting ready to hurl yourself out of an airplane(Parachute is on your back), and you think well I will probably never do this again so you decide to give you G2l the ultimate drop test.{End scenario}

So guy's what do you think would happen to a G2l with batts falling at at a Terminal Velocity around 110-130 mph?? Would it survive? Would it work? I think that the body would probably crack, the lens would shatter, but I think it would fire up even at 1/4 of the brightness. Post you thoughts.

-Evan

P.S.-Any body got a spare G2l and a cessna lying around??:poke:

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
i think it would depend on what kind of surface its landing on, if concrete or asphalt i would say bye bye, but it may survive a soft dirt/grass landing, its hard to say, way to many variables

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that at about 120 mph the impact would probably shatter the flashlight into many pieces and it would ADASTW.

Planning a YouTube video or does this fall into the "What if Napoleon had B-52's at Waterloo?" category? Inquiring minds want to know.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Certainly depends upon what it lands on.

-- A fresh Haystack

-- A pickup truck hauling mattresses and pillows :)

see what i mean ?

And i would expect the Terminal Velocity to be
at least 120 mph. Probably higher. :wow:

This sounds like something we CPF'ers oughta' suggest
to MythBusters !

:devil:
_

sed6

Enlightened
I used to skydive (I could never get those cartoon images from my youth of forks and knives and cutlery and such deploying from my chute bag when I pulled the ripcord, so I gave it up) and we learned a trick early in our training. The way to avoid injury if your chute doesn't open is to, the moment you strike the ground, GRABGRASS! The theory being that it isn't the numerous broken bones that kills you on the first impact; but rather all the sharp bits of bones perforating your organs after you bounce and strike the ground a second time the gets you. Grabbing grass will stop you from bouncing and therefore prevent your dying. Without arms and hands to grab grass the G2L would surely be a goner.

Burgess

Flashaholic
That's interesting . . . .

Last Wednesday, on MythBusters, the gang tossed
a crash-test dummy out of an airplane at 4000 feet.

During the impact, i noticed that this dummy did indeed

BOUNCE considerably

when he (it) hit the ground.

Of course, from watching the cartoons,
we all know that the falling doesn't commence
until the poor soul pauses, and Looks Down !

:eeksign:
_

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't catch me jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...
ncrazyqueenieej5.gif
:shakehead

chibato

Newly Enlightened
Not a G2 but...4sevens (fenix-store) is loaning a few new T1s for some CPFers to abuse for about a month. I bet they would be willing to try some "light-diving".:grin2:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know what, set up a paypal account, we will all donate a few dollars each, considering the amount of interest this will generate.......and buy a G2L, and do just that...

Crenshaw

Saiga

Enlightened
(quote) "Planning a YouTube video or does this fall into the "What if Napoleon had B-52's at Waterloo?" category? Inquiring minds want to know. "
THAT was hillarious !!! back to the question at hand, i also think it might survive a grassy field. Concrete ? not a chance.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you need a plane. The light would probably reach terminal velocity in time if dropped from a very tall building (say, an antenna of some kind). Would make the whole experiment much cheaper. :p

chibato

Newly Enlightened
I've got some buddies who are LEO helicopter pilots, and they would be willing to assist the cause.:twothumbs

Last edited:

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know a calculator on the web to calculate the G's from that impact? I don't know the mass of that light, but having a sense of G's would be helpful.