WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE 0R MOST USED LIGHT WHEN WALKING THE DOG

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OR MOST USED LIGHT WHEN WALKING THE DOG

For me i mostly use my pelican 7060 as general use but my favorite is my wise led adapt.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Mag85 currently, though "normally" it's a Surefire A2. But the Mag85 is a good one, too. I built mine with AW's 3-level switch and it works great. I use it on low when we are on the wooded part of our walk and then switch it to medium or 100% when we get to more open areas. Still brings a boyish grin to my face to see how much scenery it lights up. :naughty:

(A word of warning to anyone who doesn't have a Mag85 yet: after a couple of weeks you get used to all that power. The other night I was charging its cells, so I took my Fenix L1D-CE instead and it seemed just anemic. Well, sure it's still a small and handy light, but when you are used to lighting up the trail well over a hundred meters ahead, anything less will seem weak.)

Germ

Enlightened
I sometimes walk a neighbor's golden lab and beagle. To free my hands I've been using a Streamlight Sidewinder clipped to my belt. A headlamp would probably be better, but I wouldn't want to be seen in public with one on :D The Sidewinder has a good runtime and I leave it on for the whole walk. It isn't extremely bright, but it is bright enough to let your presence be known to cars and light the way.

I also like to carry a SureFire G3 with a P90 lamp and 17500 rechargeables. This is great for distance work. I keep it on a lanyard to make sure I don't drop it. Things can get hectic with the two energetic canines. I've also used the G3 to follow frisbees thrown in the dark. The G3 works great for this and I like that the light is tough nylon as the energetic lab (that I'm convinced is part kangaroo) will sometimes go for the light while I'm getting ready to throw the frisbee.

Last edited:

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
I am now using the Fenix T1 when I walk the dog. It pairs nicely with my Glock. :whistle:

However...and please forgive me for this heresy...as we said in the Army, "darkness is my friend". I am a low profile guy; so I use the Fenix rarely...this is the city so there is a LOT of ambient light.

(Now checking throw, spill and "usefulness" of different lights is a different matter.:))

I have used it for finding the dog when he (rarely) slips the leash and sometimes for picking up his poop. The T1 really gives too much light for this last duty. :eek:

I do see other dog walkers wearing headlights, carrying generic Evereadys, Dorcys, etc. and occasionally Surefires; they sure can be seen from a long way away.

Even walking the dog during the day, I find myself sometimes judging distances and spaces and saying "Yep, Fenix T1 would be great for that area but my E2E would be more than adequate, but the L0D-CE would not provide enough light"....just the usual musings of a flashaholic in the daytime. :)

rtt

Enlightened
I use an A2 on low. Good spill and long throw if needed. I can't remember the last time I actually used the ican though!:thinking:

dulridge

Enlightened
Orb Raw. Actually, that is likely to be the answer to just about any, "What is your favourite light when..." as it and a Fenix E0 (And assorted fauxtons) are what I always have with me. The Fenix is not good on anything longer range than poop collecting, even with a white dog.

For the monster black hound (120lbs of muscle and thinks she's a lapdog) I occasionally look after in a place with no ambient lighting at night, as many lumens as possible. Usually one of those silly zillion candlepower things that run for about 3 minutes before you have to charge the batteries for another 15hr.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I use my T-1. I use it mostly on low, but there are some dogs that get out of their invisible fence and high makes them stop dead in their tracks.

katsyonak

Enlightened
I use all kinds of lights, whatever I feel like at the moment. The dog is already used to it and sometimes even follows the light :)

Flashlight Enthusiast
just got my T1 so i am liking this one too

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
P3D Premium 100 is perfect, rarely need turbo.
The other day my brother in law (Boots)was driving in from the fields returning from an afternoon hunt with a couple of friends. I was walking my dog and saw them, but they didn't see me because of the fence I was behind. I put it on strobe and shined it along the fence. His friends said what the hell is that flashing and he said maybe it's the popo. (He knows of my lights) Both of his friends got scared and unloaded their guns immediately, we still laugh about this today.

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a dog.:mecry:

But I always have an E2e or an A2 in my pocket.