Forum Software Setups & Advice

Mednanu

Enlightened
I'm looking to setup a small online forum ( initially comprised of 25 - 100 users but would like it to be scalable past that point as well ). I quite like the vBulletin format we have here at CPF but wanted advice from anyone in the know on how to go about setting up a small online forum for the first time. I'm a former UNIX sys admin, so I'm comfortable dealing with in depth technical setups and instructions, but I've never installed, configured or scaled a Bulletin Board prior to this or dealt with the setup and maintenance of databases.

Some of the specific questions I have are:

1) Should I expect to need more than 1 instance of the BB Software installed onto the server it will be hosted on for such a small user base ?

2) Are there any decent free BB versions I might be able to start with to see whether the board might be successful prior to purchasing more feature-rich BB software ?

3) Any database ( DB ) configuration tips, advice and caveats you'd care to offer ?

4) What can someone expect to spend per year for a small packaged solution, hosted on an ISP's servers instead of one hosted from a home-based server ?

Any advice those of you in the know could offer me would be much appreciated ? Thanks in advance, gang !

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a hosting package from Startlogic for $120 for two years (averages to $5/month). It's 300GB/3TB, which has been much more than I need. Some packages, including mine, come with free forum software that you can choose to install, like phpBB. You can also get one like IceBB for free, which is what I use. It's been pretty good so far.

My site: www.tigerhawkt3.com
My forum: www.tigerhawkt3.com/forums

Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Mednanu

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. What sorts of database maintenance and setup duties are required to install it and keep it running healthy ?

Jenova

Enlightened
i used to run a world of war craft guild website, had a main page forums dkp etc

i found some cheap hosting on the net (cant remember which site)
im pretty sure i used vBulletin

anyway it was REALLY easy to setup and even easier to maintain, the only problems i had as some database issues which quickly were sorted

its going to be easier than you think

Good luck