No chimney for Santa ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a good idea for those of us with no chimney, or fireplace.

Hang an old key outside, with tag, by the front door (one that doesn't fit of course) on Christmas Eve, with ceremony, for the children, so that Santa can get in to leave his presents.

The key will only work for Santa, if anyone asks.

I see you can buy specially made keys on ebay etc, but why spend money that can go on an extra present ?

Now you can have that torch for Christmas !

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was recently told that Santa can just "appear" inside a home with no chimney or fireplace; he doesn't need a key to get in.
So telling children that Santa really doesn't need a chimney or a door key to get in should suffice. :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Now keep in mind my age when I say this. Times were much different back then. I would no way suggest this in 2007, but 40+ years ago, when I was at the magical age period, my parents told me that they left the door unlocked for Santa on Christmas Eve. They said he would come in, do what he had to do and lock the door as he was leaving. That made perfect sense to me, since we didn't have a chimney.

On a related note, I'd like to share my most incredible memory of being a child during Christmas. For those of you in my generation, this may apply to your childhood as well. Back then, times were much different. Things happened at a less-stressful pace, with less anxiety, more compassion and more understanding of what the holidays meant. There were no such things as a WaWa, 7-Eleven, Circle-K or whatever mini-mart type store you have in your area. Running out to get forgotten batteries or gas on Christmas day was unheard of, because everything was closed. The malls and stores actually waited until after Thanksgiving to start their Christmas advertising. In my opinion, it was a better time. Anyway, back to my story.

I was raised (I have a younger brother and sister) with the understanding that Santa did EVERYTHING as it related to the Christmas Day. Not only did Santa put gifts under the tree, he got the tree, put it up and decorated it. Any decorating within the house Santa did as well.

Picture it. You're a 5,6, 7 year old child. You go to bed Christmas Eve night, with the house looking like it did all year long. In a matter of a few hours, you wake up and the house is decorated, the tree is up and decorated, there are gifts under the tree. It doesn't get more magical than that for a child. I give my Mom and Dad a great thank you for these memories. As long as I live, I will remember those times and cherish them forever. I am so thankful for those magical moments my Mother and Father did for us kids.

They say you know you're getting old, if you live in the past. Live in past? I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nascar, I agree 100%. Although I grew up in a household where we put up the tree and decorations beforehand, I do cherish those memories of a simpler, slower time.

When I was a child, my folks arranged for a "visit" by Santa on Christmas Eve while us kids were still awake. I heard sleigh bells outside, and moments later there he was, the big guy himself, in our very living room! I was absolutely speechless! I remember being so startled that I actually hid behind a chair for a moment, peeking out from around the chair to catch glimpses of him. :laughing:

To this day I don't know who it was in the suit (although I have theories), but I will never forget that Christmas. And I'm forever grateful to my family for the memories of all of those Christmasses during my childhood.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Hahaha, I found out there was no santa by walking into a lockerroom full of a whole bunch of half naked santa's when I was 7

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hahaha, I found out there was no santa by walking into a lockerroom full of a whole bunch of half naked santa's when I was 7

Those were just Santa's Helpers. They find out what the good little boys and girls want, and then they call Santa on his cellphone. It helps Santa to complete his list.... Everyone knows that. :wave:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give my Mom and Dad a great thank you for these memories. As long as I live, I will remember those times and cherish them forever. I am so thankful for those magical moments my Mother and Father did for us kids.

I couldn't agree more. We had cousins who lived close by, and on Christmas Eve they would all come over (at the same time) to see if Santa had yet been to our home. Of course, he hadn't, as our cousins immediately discovered. Unbeknownst to us, however, one or more aunts and uncles were at that very moment playing Santa at house #2. Our parents would then herd us all over there where we would share the joy, before moving on to house #3, which by then had also been visited by Santa. And finally, we'd all get back to our house where the happy scene would be repeated again. As the oldest of the lot, I remember the first year that I was able to participate in the joyous deception. Later on, did the same for my kids and their cousins. And this year my grandkids get the treat. Memories such as these really do last a lifetime.

Many thanks for this thread.

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
I'm with you, what time's the bus?

Merry Christmas, one and all!!!