Single AAA light... your thoughts?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'm after a single AAA or AA light for a gift (who isn't?!), want to keep it around $40 or less, ideally with a rear clickie, and want it as bright as possible. What would folks recommend?

I was looking at the new breed of rebel AAA lights (Luma Avenger, Tiablo A1 etc.) and they seem to quote 100+ lumens but reviews suggest it's actually more like 40-60 with a regular AAA. I also like the look (and price) of the Luma LM31 and Olight T15 but they're only rated at 80-90 lumens. Will they be brigher than the AAA rebels using primaries?

Any other AAA or AA lights in the $30-40 range that folks suggest with output close to 100 lumens?

bitslammer

Enlightened
The Lumapower lights you are looking at will handle the "regular" 1.5v AA & AAA cells such as alkaline, NiMH, NiCad, and will also handle 3.6v lithium cells. Most of the Lumapower line is the same in that they engineer their lights to handle a wide range of voltages.

The higher voltage cells result in either more brightness and/or longer runtime depending on the model and how it is used.

In any case I have a D-mini, LM32, F1 and am eagerly awaiting my Avenger. I'm extremely pleased with my Lumapower lights in terms of materials and quality. They are also one of the more innovative brands out there.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I also like lumapower... have the M3 (for now) and have a D-mini Q5 on the way... but I'm curious if, on plain alkalines, the avenger is gonna be brighter than the LM31 or not. The person I'll be giving this too is only ever gonna drop an alkaline in it.

Reviews of the avenger suggest output with alkalines is waaay lower than the 100+ quoted by LP. If the LM31 works better with alkalines then I'll get that.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are some issues with the first batch of Avengers, according to the reviews and marketplace threads. At the $4x.xx price range, I'd go for the Fenix L0D Q4 (75 lumens) from Fenix-Store (link)

I think alkalines will never be able to provide enough constant juice to power these high powered LEDs. I would go with a simple and reputable light like the LM31 from BatteryJunction for AA battery.

customh

Newly Enlightened
I'm also looking for a light for a friend, what do people think of the Tiablo?

Luminescent

Enlightened
I think there are some issues with the first batch of Avengers, according to the reviews and marketplace threads. At the $4x.xx price range, I'd go for the Fenix L0D Q4 (75 lumens) from Fenix-Store (link)

I think alkalines will never be able to provide enough constant juice to power these high powered LEDs. I would go with a simple and reputable light like the LM31 from BatteryJunction for AA battery.

+1 on the L0D Q4 seasonal special at the Fenix-Store.

I'm not as big a fan of the LM31. It has a really complicated two level clicky switch that has caused problems.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2169930

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182586

If lights are bad right out of the gate like this, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the long term reliability.

Also at least one person reported a runaround from their Lumapower dealer about having to return the light with 'all original packaging' just to get warrantee service. Who the hell keeps all that stuff? Of course this kind of garbage becomes just a 'big misunderstanding' when someone posts a complaint and the dealer starts to sweat lost sales, but what happens in a few years if LOTS of them start to fail, and the dealer starts to use these cop-outs with everyone?

Getting back to the L0D-Q4, you can read my Kudos thread to find out how folks like this light -
(100% positive on build quality and brightness).

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=181417

Don't be fooled on the Tiablo A1 and Lumapower Avenger because they seem to be using specs that are total BullS#%T.

Personally I would prefer not to deal with a company that would lie as badly as both Lumapower and Tiablo are on these lights.

In the above thread I did calculations which prove that the L0D-Q4 is brighter than a 100W work light at the same distance, and unlike most of the 'Avenger' and 'Tiablo' info that's NOT B.S.

Here is a nice image that sums up the performance of the L0D-Q4 -

L0dvsMag.jpg

But surely this is an unfair comparison!!! What about runtime?

The output from the big incandescent Maglight starts to dim right off the bat when you first turn it on and hits the 50% level in only a little over an hour.

The really amazing thing is that the L0D-Q4 not only puts out more total light than Mag 4 D-Cell light, but will actually exceed the runtime to 50% brightness when run on on a single tiny L92 lithium cell, which will power the light even on max for over an hour and 20 minutes.

In fairness to that good ol 4 D-Cell Mag incandescent, it was designed for more throw with that huge reflector, and it will limp along getting dimmer and dimmer for maybe 10 or 12 hours before completely winking out on the runtime test, but in a keychain light you want a slightly floodier beam anyway, and the L0D has a nice low mode that will run up to about 9 hours on a L92 lithium cell, so if you need long runtimes, they are available, and unlike the Maglight that low mode is there when you want it, with that incredible high mode only a quick twist away.

How many people can honestly say their keychain light outperforms a 4 D Maglight on both runtime and overall output?

NOTE:

Since I have criticized Lumapower and Tiablo for their TOTAL B.S. specs on their AAA lights, in the interest of 100% accuracy, I should point out that the Red L0D-Q4 was NOT rated by flashlightreviews.com only the standard L0D-CE WAS.

In their review of the original standard L0D-CE flashlightreviews.com says -

"The shear volume of light produced is amazing for a single AAA cell light. My readings show that on the "high" setting the L0D-CE is producing more light overall than a 3-D Maglite. On "medium" it produces more light overall than a common 2-D cell light. All this from one AAA cell."

That statement was for the original L0D-CE, the statement about the Q4 version was extrapolated by me based on my experience and measurements.

Specifically flashlightreviews.com rated the original (50 Lumen) L0D-CE as having an overall output of 3380 on his relative scale, while on the same scale the 4 D-Cell Maglight was actually measured only slightly higher at 3800, based on this I would expect the L0D-Q4 (75 Lumens) to rate about 5070 if it was measured in the same way. Obviously this will simply blow away the good ol 4 D-Cell Mag incandescent.

In any case, I don't think there is any doubt that, unlike Lumapower and Tiablo, the above Fenix L0D-Q4 numbers are conservative.

Side by side, some have reported that the Tiablo is very slightly brighter in the hotspot, but this is only because it has a smaller much less useful hotspot. Total output seems to be LESS (from a light with the B.S. rating of 100 plus lumens!)

The avenger is also no brighter and is a new light with an unproven track record at this point.

Here's a quote from one new 'Avenger' buyer -

"I got mine today and I must have received a bum unit. It had some intermittent problems where the low would not activate or I would tighten it and it would turn off from high but tighten it a bit further and it would turn on again."

Unlike the L0D-Q4, the Tiablo A1 also does not have a long runtime mode (handy if you get stuck for several hours in a power failure).

Some have also received Tiablo A1 lights with crap behind the lens, so you are getting DX quality at Fenix prices.

Bottom line is that the Fenix L0D-Q4 is a MUCH safer choice for a gift (and comes in a really nice gift box, at no extra cost).

---

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great info. I am a big fan of the LED AAA light. From my ARC AAA-P on lithium primaries, to my L0D CE on 10440s. I've logged alot of EDC hours. I have found a great many EDC applications for that new Streamlight microstream. it's a great value at about HALF of the $40. it's a durable light, backed by a good company with reputable dealers that can be found here.
That info on the LP Avenger is very important to me.:thumbsup: From what I've learned my L0D Fenix is a better, more powerful light. I could get that Q4 version I guess, but I really am glad to know I will not be making a 'needless' purchase in my quest for the ultimate AAA EDC light.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I was gonna go for a Luma LM31 but then decided to get a Jetbeam CL-E v2... bugoutgear will be shipping them on Monday and CPFers get a good deal.

Luminescent

Enlightened
I was gonna go for a Luma LM31 but then decided to get a Jetbeam CL-E v2... bugoutgear will be shipping them on Monday and CPFers get a good deal.

Great choice! Jetbeam makes a really nice light for the money. In fact I plan to grab another V2 now that they are starting to get back in stock.

The C-LE has very good output and runtimes, and the electronics are much better regulated than most other lights below 40 dollars.

It's virtually the only low cost light I see as being close to Fenix in value.

I already have a couple and the build quality has been consistently good on all of them, and I think they are just a super value for the money.

If you like the C-LE you should be aware that the Fenix L0D makes a very good smaller single AAA companion to the single AA C-LE.

In fact I prefer my C-LE as larger EDC companion to the L0D vs. any of the other Fenix models because they share exactly the same MED, LOW, HIGH, STROBE and SOS modes in exactly the same order, so it's easy to switch back and forth between them (even easier for me because I also have the C-LE 1.2 which even shares the twisty design).

The funny thing is that the UI interface on the Jetbeam C-LE and Fenix L0D match each other in operation almost exactly and are much closer to each other than they are with ANY of the other lights from their own companies product lines.

The L0D for example is NOTHING like a Fenix L1D, and the C-LE is NOTHING like the Jetbeam MKII lights, which each have different UI's.

So when you have saved up a few more pennies, you may want to also consider buying the L0D as a little brother for your C-LE. They'll get along really well with each other and if you like the C-LE you will also love the L0D :)

My C-LE's have slightly more output and tighter throw than the L0D-Q4, and about double the runtime because of the C-LE's larger 'AA' battery. This isn't a knock against the L0D though because I like the L0D's floody beam for close up work and it is flat out amazing that this tiny light can pretty well match the C-LE on output in such an amazingly small package, and as noted above, even the little L0D-Q4 blows away 4 D Maglights on total output, so they are both a lot of light the money.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I really like my L0P modded with a Seoul P4 by datiled. It's just pure sanity, nice and bright, white beam, simple on-off UI. I have an L0DCE that I never carry any more. I just see no use for three brightness levels in an edc, let alone the much reviled blinking modes. The one-level L0P runs for an hour or so on an AAA NiMH, which is comparable runtime to the old favorite 2-cell Surefires. I have a pack of spare charged-up cells on my desk at work that I use in my audio player as well, and more at home, so if the light starts dimming I just swap in a charged cell and eventually get around to recharging the drained one. On the off chance that I get stuck somewhere and need a long running light, the Photon II on my keychain is good for several hours.

Luminescent

Enlightened
I really like my L0P modded with a Seoul P4 by datiled. It's just pure sanity, nice and bright, white beam, simple on-off UI. I have an L0DCE that I never carry any more. I just see no use for three brightness levels in an edc, let alone the much reviled blinking modes. The one-level L0P runs for an hour or so on an AAA NiMH, which is comparable runtime to the old favorite 2-cell Surefires. I have a pack of spare charged-up cells on my desk at work that I use in my audio player as well, and more at home, so if the light starts dimming I just swap in a charged cell and eventually get around to recharging the drained one. On the off chance that I get stuck somewhere and need a long running light, the Photon II on my keychain is good for several hours.

I have a cheap 10 dollar Ultrafire B3 light that I modded with a Rebel 100 that I find useful for some jobs because it's just insanely bright, but I find it's single power level and limited run time to be too limiting for EDC use.

My Ultrafire is actually fairly nicely made (surprisingly like my Fenix L0D), and I am proud of the way my 'custom' light performs, but I'm sorry, this doesn't keep me from being honest with myself and admitting that that L0D-Q4 is a much more USEFUL light overall on a day to day basis, and the L0D-Q4 is the one I carry.

You see, thanks to the highly efficient Q4 emitter, the MEDIUM mode that the L0D always comes up in by default will be all the brightness I need about 95 percent of the time, and I kind of LIKE the fact that this mode gives nearly 3 hours of run time.

So, when I want to use the light I just twist the head, it comes on in medium, I use the light, then turn it back the other way to turn it off. I don't see what could be simpler than that.

In an EDC light, the whole point is you need to have the flexibility to use the light for whatever comes your way, and a tiny single cell AAA light will either be runtime challenged or output challenged if limited to a single mode.

Also, if my L0D-Q4 came on at full brightness all the time, the light would also be almost impossible to use in some situations. For example, it would be just too bright for some ultra close up jobs I have to do like inspecting PCB boards really up close (I an an electrical engineer).

Another example would be someone working outside at night who needs to do something as simple as reading something out of a book, or checking a map position. At fulll brightness the hotspot of the L0D-Q4 is brighter than a 100W drop light and would completely nuke your night vision in a matter of seconds.

So overall I would have to respectfully disagree and say that I LIKE the fact that if I get caught in an elevator during a nice long power failure, or in any other emergency situation that requires a three or four times the run time, or happen to be in a situation the needs a little less light or a little more light, my L0D-Q4 has the modes there to accommodate me.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use two AAA lights on a daily basis--L0D Q4 on the keys and a Peak Baltic SSC SP (highest output available) it sits in a Leatherman Charge Ti holster sidepocket. Both of the lights run on Eneloops and work very well.

The Baltic is a great light, very high quality with real HA3 and uses a potted gold-plated brass positive contact on the head. It is larger than the L0D Q4 but more durable as a work light. At work, I don't like playing twister with a light to get max output so the single max level on the Baltic works very well. At $40 on sale, the US made light will serve me many years riding next to my multi-tool.

Feels strange to use a single AAA on the keychain that will blind you and a single AAA light in a holster that beats the output of a 2AA Luxeon worklight. :)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm after a single AAA or AA light for a gift (who isn't?!), want to keep it around $40 or less, ideally with a rear clickie, and want it as bright as possible. What would folks recommend?

I was looking at the new breed of rebel AAA lights (Luma Avenger, Tiablo A1 etc.) and they seem to quote 100+ lumens but reviews suggest it's actually more like 40-60 with a regular AAA. I also like the look (and price) of the Luma LM31 and Olight T15 but they're only rated at 80-90 lumens.
Any other AAA or AA lights in the $30-40 range that folks suggest with output close to 100 lumens?

Come on, man! How spoiled can you get?

Complaining that a 1xAAA EDC light will put out "only" 80-90 lumens, and in any case is shouldn't ever cost more than $40??

I mean, come on!

Be GRATEFUL for getting the choices we are now getting, 1xAAA EDCs with plenty of runtime and lumen outputs comparable to really expensive, really amazing lights that are much larger (forget the Maglites, even the SF L1 is matched by these pocket rockets).

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Flashy,

It's also supposed to have enough spill to drive a car by,
and throw at least a mile... yet still be pocketable with HA-III
Aluminum Relector, Artifact free, and AR coating. :poke:

I surmise that current offerings will only astound the person the OP will give this light to and for general use... multi-mode options will remain largely un-used.

At the rate of current technology development, three months from now the C-LE will be outdated and we'll be answering another "best AAA /AA Thread"

I loved my C-LE, Normal people would say
"wow that's bright... to which I'd answer"

"I'm not happy with the UI, the annodizing, threads, or short throw from this OP relfector. Plus PWM just makes me queezy."

"it's a flashlight... and it's bright."

"oh no... it's more than just that, it's a symbol that the consumer ultimately has the power to change the market if we simply ban together on forums and demand better sh*t"

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Does anyone think the KD SSC-U AAA holds any ground here?

I'm not sure of the actual lumens, although the site says 100+. I have 5 of these which I've given to my inspectors who inspect welds at about an 8" distance. It has a very white light with strong flood style beam. Perfect for my application.

paulr

Flashaholic
By the way, since we're talking about a gift light, I've brought this up several times before but these powerful lights (especially 1aaa lights) don't run well on alkalines. The gift should include a couple nimh cells and a recharger unless you know that the recipient already has that stuff.

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
By the way, since we're talking about a gift light, I've brought this up several times before but these powerful lights (especially 1aaa lights) don't run well on alkalines. The gift should include a couple nimh cells and a recharger unless you know that the recipient already has that stuff.
Agreed, in view of this I have bought the Fenic L0D for a gift with four Lithium primaries, which should last a long time with expected intermittent use.