I am in LOVE!! (L1 Cree)

lights

Newly Enlightened
I am aware of the many threads concerning the new Surefire L1, but I thought I could do a sort of review for those who may use lights the way I do (I use them daily for extended periods of time).

I install high end PA systems, in theaters, auditoriums, churches, etc. I also work in the live sound industry. I often need a bright light that will throw to look up into the steel structure of a building to investigate rigging options and to locate conduit or junction boxes. I also need a light for close range use when wiring and troubleshooting large racks of audio equipment. In the past few years, I have used a G2, M6 LED 2390, L2P, L1P, Minimad LED, and more recently, a P3D. The P3D is a great light and has performed well. However, several issues made search for another light. 1, the P3D is overly complicated to use. I do not like the idea of handing someone a flashlight and having to explain how it works... 2, the P3D started having reliability issues. Unless you clean teh threads and contacts quite frequently, it tends to flicker, switch modes, not turn on, or otherwise not work as expected.

So, i began to look for another light. Due to the fact that i use my lights daily, and for work, i can justify spending 100+ on a light. (I have a hard time seeign how people spend that much on a light just for 'fun'.)
Anyway, after seeing a few beamshots, i finally decided to order the L1 Cree. Wow. After spending a week with the light on a large, dark, construction sight, I am completely blown away by this light. For starters, the beam is much brighter than I expected the 65 lumens to be. As far as the hot spot is concerned, it easly matches the throw of the P3D. The L1's beam is much whiter, the whitest I have seen from a LED. The L1 is very ergonomic. It just wants you to hold it. It fits perfectly in the hand. There are much smaller 1 cell lights out there, but they always feel akwardly small in the hand. The L1 is perfect. I usually do not like clips on lights. I found that the L1 clips perfectly onto the bill of a hard hat. I am also very impressed with the battery life. I have not seen a run time graph, and do not know precise numbers, but the battery lasted much longer than i expected. It seems to be regulated fairly well. It seemed to stay fairly constantly bright until it noticably got dimmer. I hate lights that gradually get dimmer so gradually that you hardly notice it. The L1 got noticably dimmer fairly quickly, while having plenty of time to get to some a new battery. For my uses, the levels are almost perfectly. If i was looking for a 'survival' light, i would definitly want a lower low. For general usage, the low is perfect for most times, while the high gives that extra oomph when needed.

Last edited:

lights

Newly Enlightened
beamshots coming soon, including:

peak carribean p4
P3d
Cree L1
L0D
Peak Kilamanjaro
L1T
G2
Minimag LED
SL Argo HP

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't trust a site which does not update or even carry the new L1
http://www.opticshq.com/Merchant2/m...Surefire-L1&Category_Code=Surefire-LED-Lights

Best buy from SF or BST here

OpticsHQ is the best place to buy! If they still show the old L1 picture, just tell them to change it. You can always contact them to be sure this is the new L1 they sent. I ordered 4 SF (L1 Cree, E2L Cree, G2L and A2 with red LEDs) from them since last summer and I had not a single problem. I'm in Canada. They reply fast to e-mail and their support is excellent.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Another vote for opticshq. Thats where I ordered mine from. The reason he still has the old one listed on the site is because hes still has some of the colored ones in stock. If you order white you will recieve the cree version. :thumbsup:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add my voice to the chorus and say welcome to CPF!

(At least to the posting side of things.)

It's always refreshing to read practical, real-world experience with lights from someone who truly needs their lights.

Numbers

Enlightened
I have dealt with OpticsHQ exclusively for my SF purchases. They are outstanding in all respects. Contact them, you too will become a satisfied customer. It's a no brainer!

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a new L1 Cree from batteryjunction.com as well, along with a P60L, a green G2, an Inova X5, and some other things. I can't wait to have it. Its going to be my main edc light when I dont carry a gun (legal ccw). My ccw lights are my 2 G2s.

batteryjunction is great. Really really good service.

Draven451

Enlightened
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Congratualtions on joining such an exclusive club as the SF L1 Cree club. Be prepared because membership dues are very pricey and fee's for 2008 are looking to go up - If you have not seen the threads on the UA2 Optimus and UB2 Invictus you may want to stay away - or in true CPF fashion read re-read and place a preorder for both! :D