Introducing Ropzilla... 7C 1500+L 4" reflector vintage ROP

missionaryman

Enlightened
After reading Lux Luthor's tests on the ROP high bulb I decided to try driving my well used 3854H bulb into 8.6v territory with 7 5000mah C cells and it worked without flashing, the claimed output is about 2000L less reflector losses. The big C's don't sag under the nearly 5amps and the only resistance is in the switch that I can feel heating up in my hand.

So on a proof of concept it worked now to find a host suitable for such a venture...
I'm pretty much over modifying Maglites - I like to be innovative as much as I can be so I had this vintage host laying around that I couldn't think of an appropriate use for. It has a 4.5" faceted reflector - that's right two-and-a-half times the size of a Maglite head - 25mm bigger in diameter than Fivemega's biggest offering and sporting a modular body that can be configured as a 3D, 4D, 6D & 7D.
As you see it now it's 6D carrying 7C's but soon will be 7D carrying 7D's for 2.5hrs run time on high. (that's if the plastic reflector didn't melt so damn quick...)

Here's some pics

2007007.jpg

2007003.jpg

2007002.jpg

Beamshot in daylight - it's actually white, very white. Night beamshots to follow

2007006.jpg

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing Ropzilla...

Look at all the GLASS and the reflector..... :eek: :eek: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

Great job!!

Meduza

Enlightened

That thing is HUGE man!

I hope it is as big in light output as in size!

missionaryman

Enlightened

it's brighter than my regulated 1164 hotwire which is getting a full 9.5v at the pins of the bulb.
The beam is the most perfect incan beam I have seen and I think I have tried almost everyone's reflectors. It is a pencil beam because of the huge reflector and throws very well.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Hello missionaryman,

Nice light and mods. I have the same light and I plan on modding mine eventually when I figure out what I want to do. (And when I can find the time.)

I already have a number of vintage lights running the 3854H on 2 Li-Ions and they are nice. I also have a couple running an 1185 on 3 Li-Ions and those blow away my ROPs. (Granted, I'm not overdriving my 3854H lights as hard as you are.) I want to run at least 100 to 300 watts through this large Sportsman. It's too bad that the reflector and lens are plastic.

A PAR36 sealed beam is a direct fit in this light. (I tried it.) I run a PAR36 GE 4596 28V 250W aircraft landing light in my vintage "Volkano" lantern. It is overdriven to 325 watts and there are beam shots in the links in my signature. It is called the "Stealth Volcano" or "Lava Landing" in those pics. It surprisingly holds up pretty well against the HIDs. I would like to run that lamp in my sportsman, but fitting a suitable battery pack is the problem. 27 Elite 1700 mAh AAs stacked 9 high would be about 30mm longer than 7 D cells. (Plus my Triton only charges up to 24 cells.) 24 cells would be driving it close to spec and would fit, but I really want to overdrive it. (And I only use LSD cells now.) None of the 3s LiPo packs I have will fit. My Thunder Power Prolite 2100 mAh 3s packs come really close though. If I could find a 3s pack that fits, 3 of them should fit in the light in 6 cell configuration.

It sucks trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I'm looking forward to some outdoor beam shots comparing it to some of your other lights.

Regards,
Mark

missionaryman

Enlightened
Hey Mark - I'm so impressed with your Volcano mod (I had been looking around for ages to do something similar) that I am willing to help make your Sportsman idea come to life. I dropped mine and broke the reflector so I could give it to yo and you can use the 3 & 1 cell extenders if you wish - this would help you fit the necessary juice in.
Interested?

JetskiMark

Enlightened
Hello missionaryman,

I'm sorry to hear that you damaged your Sportsman. These vintage metal lights are so easy to dent and damage. I really like the classic look though and with modern output it is worth it to me to have to treat them with such care.

That is a very generous offer that you made. Please PM me the shipping amount (to USA area code 93063) and I will send you a PayPal for more than that amount.

All of the vintage sealed beam lights that I have seen use a PAR36. Do a search for sealed beam at FlashlightMuseum.com and you can get some ideas of what is available. There are more sealed beams there that do not show up in that search. I figured a sealed beam lantern with an integrated battery box would be an easy to mod host. I bought that Volkano and the GE 4596 on eBay to test my idea. Well, my recipe worked decently and I am pleased (but not blown away, I'm jaded by five to six hundred watt incans) with the output of the 4596.

Since a PAR36 fits in the 7 cell Sportsman, I thought that would be an easy way to eliminate the plastic lens and reflector. Well, it is. It's the battery pack that is going to require some thought. I wish that A123s or Emolis were available in a 1/2 or 2/3s D cell size. That would be great. It looks like I'm going to have to use a giant NiMH pack unless I can figure out a lithium sloution.

This will be a fun light with over 300 watts.

Regards,
Mark

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

If anyone has a spare Volkano I'd love it - Great Idea Jetski

:candle:

Cheers Pete