How to minimize/eliminate the initial jolt of light in Fenix L1D CE

victor01

Newly Enlightened
Whenever I turn on my Fenix L1D CE in normal - low sub mode, it gave a short jolt of high intensity light (before quickly returning to low) to which I find irritating. Is there a way to reduce/eliminate this irritating effect allowing me to go straight to low mode without having my eyes blasted? I use Alkaline battery.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Yeah, seems to be a "feature" to destroy any night vision. Some folks are lucky enough to not have this fun feature, but not me.

d1337

Enlightened
Hold the bezel next to your leg or body when you turn it on.
My old L1D-CE has the flash too. I quickly got used to using this technique. I now have a L1D-CE Q5 that doesn't have the flash but I still find myself using this technique out of habit at times.

cal..45

Enlightened
Yeah, seems to be a "feature" to destroy any night vision. Some folks are lucky enough to not have this fun feature, but not me.

unless they build the ultimate flashlight that is as bright as a nuclear blast, I don't see how this could happen, because the initial flash lasts only for a fraction of a second.

regards, holger

Zenster

Enlightened
I find that the ONLY reason it's annoying to me is simply because I don't understand why it has to happen.
I don't understand what, in the design in the circuitry, prevented them from eliminating the flash.

Other than that from a "dumb engineering" standpoint, the flash doesn't bother me one bit.
Like others, I simply click it on held to my leg and go do my business with no additioanal fuss.
It certainly hasn't stopped me from buying a second L2D-CE/Q5. It's still one of the absolutely best "jack of all trades" flashlights available.

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
It happened to the P2D CE as well. I have heard the problem is due to low quality components they used for the circuit.

Highly unlikely. How much cost can they save from doing that? I don't think Fenix is that stupid. After all, quality and design are what distinguish Fenix from the huge crowd of Chinese manufacturers.

deathkenli

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's "digitally regulated", maybe it's loading an operating system during that fraction of second...:rolleyes: