Attention comp. guys, Laptop purchase pending.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need to enlist some help in purchasing a laptop. Really the only two things this laptop needs to be able to do is to 1. browse the web via modem and 2. play DVD movies AND burn CD's

Price is very important. the cheaper the better provided it is still a name brand company. (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc)

HELP!!!

avusblue

Enlightened
Re: Attention comp. geeks, Laptop purchase pending.

I had the very same criteria. About 6 months ago I purchased a used IBM Thinkpad off eBay. You can find one that does what you want for, I'd say, $500 to $550. I found one from a private party that had a bunch of software already on it, which was nice. You'll also find lots of Thinkpads that are "off lease" and have been refurbished, but these typically have been scrubbed of all software (including OS) so if you're capable to handle that, you can spend even less.

In my experience, Thinkpads are bulletproof and I've been extremely pleased with mine. No problems at all.

Good luck.

avusblue

Enlightened

PS - and I'm NOT a computer geek, that's why I had to take the easy road and find one all pre-loaded, configured, and ready to go. And it turned out perfectly.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I changed it to "comp. guys. sounds alot better that way anyway! Thanks for the tip avsblue.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat, we're planning on purchasing a laptop with our tax return, and my requirements are combo CDRW/DVD drive, at least 30GB hard drive, 128MB or more RAM, Pentium processor, and a price tag under $1400. I'm planning on getting either a Gateway or Dell, since I can get a discount on either one through work. We've had a Gateway PC for about five years, and it had done pretty well for us.

-Keith

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

The company I work for has had very good success with the Dell Latitude line. Just my 2¢.

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened

I buy a few laptops for our office every year. I used to buy laptops from Toshiba. They were good machines but I gave up on them because Toshiba seemed to have a policy that once a laptop is older then 2 years, they stop putting out updates and support. I have some bad luck with Compaq laptops (could have been the model I bought) but after spending months in and out of the shop for a problem they could never fix, I've had enough of them. I'm currently buying Dells (the last 2 years now) and have been pleased over all and will buy more.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok ok, Great information guys!!! Keep it coming. Sound like so far Dell and IBM are the ones to look for. Any other suggestions or places that have the best prices online?

avusblue

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
siriuslite said:
I used to buy laptops from Toshiba. They were good machines but I gave up on them because Toshiba seemed to have a policy that once a laptop is older then 2 years, they stop putting out updates and support.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really important point. And it's another reason I picked IBM, their support and website is VERY impressive. They still support every laptop model they've sold (back thru the early 90's) and their help engine works great. I used it to figure out why my palm pilot wouldn't sync through the infrared port. There was a walk-through Q&A process that led me to downloading, installing, and configuring an updated driver -- painlessly and less than 10 minutes start to finish. That earned my enhanced loyalty.

IBM Thinkpads are not the cheapest brand new, but they have value over the long run. And so used, I think they're unbeatable. FWIW,

Dave

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

The company I work for has had good luck with Apple iBooks and Powerbooks for $1300 you can get a very nice iBook with the 40gig and 128meg ram, and if you can go up as high as $1700 you can get one with the very nice 15" screen and faster processor. If you're strapped for cash you can get one for under a grand, but it would be worth it to get the faster chip and more memory is you can afford it.

As far as software, everything you need for day to day is included (email, word processing, mp3 playing, cd burning (yes it has a cd burner and dvd player combo drive standard on all models) They are even shipping them with AOL and Quicken now I think if you're into that. Add 802.11 for $99 and blue tooth for $49

They claim a 6 hour battery life for the iBook, but realistically with the hard use that most people put to them you'll get 4+, but you really will get that much time and thats a major selling point to me. Even without dropping your processor speed and dimming the screen, if you're willing to do that (say while playing a DVD) you really can stretch it out another hour. The screens they use are top of the line too, very bright, very high contrast and very viewable from even steep angles.

There are regularly refurbished or leased ones available from companies like Small Dog which is where I purchased my last one from. Very nice folks there I recommend you check them out.

Good Luck

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Too bad you have a limited budget.

I love my Sony GRV550 laptop. It has completely replaced my desktop computer, and hasn't had even a minor glitch since I bought it in November, even though it runs about 18- 20 hours a day. Great multi-media machine.

I seroiusly considered a Powerbook - G4 but decided that I didn't want to spend an extra $1500 to replace my necessary Windows programs with Mac programs.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:

I seroiusly considered a Powerbook - G4 but decided that I didn't want to spend an extra $1500 to replace my necessary Windows programs with Mac programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which programs? Many of the bigger folks like adobe and whatnot will either give you the Mac version, or give it to you at a substantial discount. (It should be free, afterall you bought it, what do they care what platform you run it on?) Unless you're talking about MS Office which is as much of a ripoff on the Mac as on the PC... But even with that there are alternatives that can read the file format. And if you're a student or teacher even office is affordable!

But like most things Mac, you have to ask about it. The guy at Best Buy won't be able to sell you a Mac serial number for it, you'll have to call someone.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Attention comp. geeks, Laptop purchase pending

I currently have my sights set on some of the Sony models. I've never heard any great things about them but I've never heard real bad things about them either. The have models from about $1000 right on up to the nearly Palm Top sized almost full feature $4000 models.

NeonLights--when you say Pentium processor do you mean you'll only buy one with an Intel chip? At my house we use AMD chips exclusively for our desktops but they are a bit harder to find on the laptop market. The Sony I want just happens to use one. Intel just came out with a new mobile chip though and it surely holds some promise.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today, in our computer age you can't really go wrong with a computer company. Stay will Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, IBM, or somebody else who is well known. As for a model, there are many, many, inexpensive choices that will preform well with your criteria. Have fun shopping!

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a Gateway as a first choice and a Dell as a second. I have had both and like my Gateway a little bit better, but both are good computers and can get the job done.

-Mike

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
NeonLights--when you say Pentium processor do you mean you'll only buy one with an Intel chip? At my house we use AMD chips exclusively for our desktops but they are a bit harder to find on the laptop market. The Sony I want just happens to use one. Intel just came out with a new mobile chip though and it surely holds some promise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would prefer an Intel Pentium, I would accept an AMD, but I would rather not get a Celeron. Mainly just personal preference.

I just got back from Sam's club, and I think I found the laptop I'll probably get with our tax return. It is an HP, AMD processor, and IIRC, it has 128 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, a 15" screen, and a CDRW/DVD drive, all for $999.

-Keith

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would second a pentium processor (but definitely not a celeron). Have you considered getting a factory refurbished unit? I have personally never had one, but have heard good things from friends. I know that both Gateway and Dell has some info on their websites about refurbs.

-Mike

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened

well look into HP for a laptop, you can sometimes get good deals. I bought one from them about 7 months ago and ended up being about 1500 after rebates. I got: P4 @ 1.6 GHz, 512 Ram, 40 Gig HD, DVD/CD-RW, Wireless built in.

Saaby

Flashaholic

I borrowed a Compaq for the weekend from School and like it lots. Just a tich larger than my dinosaur overall but with a huge, bright LCD screen, built in 802.11b and bluetooth. Probably tracking software too...everything I type is being logged I bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Re: Attention comp. guys, Laptop purchase pending

My family's computer is a Laptop. I looked around and 2 years ago got a Dell refurbished. You can input your parameters and the Search Engine tells you what is available. If you will be using it hard, transporting it a lot, GET the Warranty. Things will break. Laptop parts are expensive. I paid about 200 for the 3-yr extended warranty between service and parts I've "spent" $5-700** nothing out of pocket.
I also recomend SafeWare for theft/fire replacement insurance.