Is your Fenix T1 head unscrewable ?

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Hello
There has been here many reports of people being easily able to unscrew their T1 head (in order to remove the clip).
Mine does not seem to be that easy, other friends owning T1 have had no more success than I did, and same concern for some people here at cpf.

My question is :
Is it an error from fenix factory who badly glued some heads ?
Or is it a change in fenix design, to offer the ability to remove the clip after seeing some complaints ?

To try to sort this out, could you post here your T1 serial number and the date of purchase, and tell us wether it is unscrewable or not ? Maybe we could find a logical relation ?
I can't remind if the engraved number is really an unique identifier, or just a batch number, so the date of purchase might also be interesting.

It seems clear that the engraved number is not unique :)

Code:
- Fa__          FR346951  received on december 08 2007   not unscrewable
- Woodrow          US455982  received on december 15 2007  not unscrewable
- nake                          not unscrewable
- jambo                        not unscrewable
- minilux        US223940  not unscrewable , preordered
- helmut g.     GB346951   1 not unscrewable
[URL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=32451"]- wishywashy7              not unscrewable[/URL]
- jugg2           US344951 not unscrewable
- cmichael       US344951 not unscrewable
- j3bnl            US455962 not unscrewable
-phaetos         US511028 not unscrewable

- spock5          US346951 unscrewable
- djblank87       US346591  unscrewable
- chacrawal      TH345951 unscreawable
- helmut g.       GB346951   1 unscrewable
- peter atwood  US344951 unscrewable 
- sway             US233940 unscrewable
- steed77         US344951 Unscrewable 
- canadianeh     CA459962   unscrewable but required strength and tools
- ltiu                US344951 unscrewable
Thanks to all

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
fa_
I just received my T1 today. Great light, and after reading about those who have been able to simply twist the head off, I tried to do the same thing. Then I put some leather over the clip and head...to spare my thumb more pain and get extra leverage. Then, I broke down and asked my ex-football playing jock co-worker...who was still making fun of me paying $68 for a flashlight..to unscrew the head. He could not either.

So I used the other great method of taking the clip off. I bent it back and fourth until it came off. That worked great... and breaking something after feeling like a wussy for not being able to simply unscrew the head made me feel better about myself as well. So, basically, mine did not come off either.

My light's serial # is: US455982

djblank87

Enlightened
Since I was able to get mine off no problem, has anyone contacted say 4sevens to see what he thinks about this? Maybe he could offer some insight on the matter.

Of course I'm sure he has to tell you that your not supposed to but maybe he could shed some light on the glue situation.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me it's all dependent on how much glue the assembler applied. The one I owned briefly couldn't be unscrewed by hand.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I was able to remove the clip easily:party:, but I ordered the light together with another one for a friend of mine, who tells me he could not unscrew the head. The lights have the serial numer GB346951.
I guess it just depends on fortune whether you can remove the clip :p

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened
Mine is unscrewable. the Bezel had a small amount of Blue Loctite on it but was removable. US346951
That's it!!!
Looks like someone in manufacturing mixed up the "thread lock" and the "super glue" :oops: :shakehead
Contact Fenix for a replacement.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Mine unscrewed pretty easily. #346951

I bought two more for gifts though and have not tested that aspect. Really wish they had put the pocket clip on the butt end so it's bezel down. That is the proper way to do it. To me they are just copying Surefire as far as the clip placement goes. IMO this is not the way to have a clip on a flashlight, especially one that relies on twisting the head for hi-lo. A shame really as it is a decent clip.

Other than the clip I think this is a pretty awesome light. :)

One more little nit, as others have said this puppy is slippery. How about more aggressive knurling and also knurling on the head to make the levels easier to access? Also a very slight knob on the butt end to make it harder to slip out of the hands would have been really nice. Fenix is really getting somewhere with the T1 but perfection continues to elude them.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serial #US233940: Clip removed.

I use two strap wrenches, one around the head and the other around the part between the head and battery tube, it twisted right off.

A Blue Loctite type material was observed on 1/4 of the threads.

Am I happy camper now........YES! :D

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Serial #US233940: Clip removed.

I use two strap wrenches, one around the head and the other around the part between the head and battery tube, it twisted right off.

A Blue Loctite type material was observed on 1/4 of the threads.
Later
Kelly

I have never used a strap wrench before before and will buy two soon:whistle:Can you give details on how to wrap it around the sloping part (the part that connects directly to the battery tube) for best grip? Thanks!

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Code:
- Fa__          FR346951  received on december 08 2007   not unscrewable
- Woodrow          US455982  received on december 15 2007  not unscrewable
- nake                          not unscrewable
- jambo                        not unscrewable
- minilux        US223940  not unscrewable , preordered
- helmut g.     GB346951   1 not unscrewable
[URL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=32451"]- wishywashy7              not unscrewable[/URL]
- jugg2           US344951 not unscrewable
- cmichael       US344951 not unscrewable :mecry:
- 

- spock5          US346951 unscrewable
- djblank87       US346591  unscrewable
- chacrawal      TH345951 unscreawable
- helmut g.       GB346951   1 unscrewable
- peter atwood  US344951 unscrewable 
- sway             US233940 unscrewable
Thanks to all[/quote]

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never used a strap wrench before before and will buy two soon:whistle:Can you give details on how to wrap it around the sloping part (the part that connects directly to the battery tube) for best grip? Thanks!

I double up a paper towel several times and slid under the clip to keep from scratching the battery tube anymore then ran the strap under the clip on the tapered part and pulled it tight. I had to really hang onto the clip and wrench because the tapered part can be hard to get a good grip on and keep the strap tight but after a few tries I got it right the head broke loose.

YMMV depending on how much loctite was use on the head.

Hope this helps :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited: