UV Thrower

1 what

Enlightened
The project started out as a dissambley of an Inova T5 (with optics). The original aim was to replace the optics with a reflector and run a Q5 Cree probably with the Inova driver if it ran around 1A.

Getting the head off the Inova was fun....Many thanks to Needforspeed.

The next problem was removing the optics - not easy - another one of the Inova metal on metal seals - I suspect they do them by supercooling the "inside" component and then assembling them. While I was getting ready to be clever with liquid nitrogen the Fenix T1 appeared and my motivation for this mod contracted faster than a body part in the afore mentioned liquid N2. I ordered a T1 and reconsidered what to do with the T5.

Then I saw this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4334

It looked very similar to the T5 LED.:grin2:

The spec said the forward current on the UV LED was 350-500MA and the T5 driver ran at 900....The heatsinking was impressive so I decided to see if I could get away with it:devil:.

Easy swap - the LEDs looked as though they came from the same factory.

Screw T5 head back on. Turn on torch. Resist urge to look directly into the UV light (VERY VERY bad for your eyes). Then wait for either
a) LED to die:poof: or
b) torch to get hot.
Neither happens.:)

I now have the most powerful UV torch I've ever seen. A real little UV thrower. I wonder if it would have more output with a reflector rather than the Inova optics and am waiting for a reflector from DX to find out. I should add that the existing optics seem to interface very well with the new LED.

What a toy!

EDIT.
Tests with 2 different DX refelectors have failed to work better than the Inova optics so it seems they dont absorb too much of the UV plus the optics have a tighter beam.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should put a dangerous radiation label on it. That thing could seriously ruin someone's eyes.