Anyone distracted by video cards lately ?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone distracted by the new crop of video cards from Nvidia and ATI ?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I upgraded to a radeon hd2400 last month. It works well for my modest needs, but I had to upgrade to Hedhat FC8 (from fedora core 6) to get it to work just right. The widescreen monitor resolutions were not supported in FC6.

I make VERY modest demands on my video card, so I could probably get by with an SVGA 8 meg card. :) Well, not quite, but close.

Daniel

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
I made a semi-uninformed purchase of a radeon 2900 hd pro based on a couple of reviews bragging on it's hd decoding and audio over HDMI output and have had a lot of problems with it. I'm very disappointed in the card in general (was supposed to clock better than the 8800 gts for less $$) and haven't enjoyed the ati driver issues either. I've typically been an nvidia person, but their cards are in high demand currently, and they're enjoying a very high premium on them.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my days of trying to keep up with Jones next door are over. I upgraded my system along with video card in which I had been using a 9800 Pro for three years. I got a Nvidia 7600GT. I know it isn't in the league with the big boys but it plays Half Life 2 flawless at all resolutions and has to be a great bang for the buck for $80.

Catapult

Enlightened
I recently upgraded from a TNT2 to a Geforce4 Ti4600. Yeah, I'm that backwards. It's the only way I can afford to be a gamer. I've been contemplating on a new system for a while, and was looking at video cards. The prices for the premium stuff are really crazy! Going back 8 generations, to my previous video card, I though it was crazy then! It's upwards of $700 for an 8800 Ultra! Looks like I am going to remain a backwards gamer for a long while. Five years from now, I will have the 8800 Ultra and will be compaining about the price of the 13000 Ultra.

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Haha! Yeah, I try to upgrade every 3 or so year and then milk as much out of the cards as I can. I'm looking at a whole system upgrade around tax time next year. I bought into the tail-end of the socket 939 AMD systems just about 3 months before they went to AM2, so my hardware is at the end of the upgradeability line now. :(

You can get some really nice graphics cards for around $125-175 nowadays that'll do all kinds of stuff. Those 8800's are just untouchable for now for folks on a budget. The good news is that they've started moving into the next generation so hopefully prices will start dropping on the 8800's. They've been artifically inflated price-wise by a limited availability due to Nvidia and it's channel agents not producing as many as they'd forecast.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main computer is a two and a half year old notebook, so I need a whole new computer before I can start worrying about video cards.
*sigh* :broke:

Catapult

Enlightened
Those 8800's are just untouchable for now for folks on a budget. The good news is that they've started moving into the next generation so hopefully prices will start dropping on the 8800's. They've been artifically inflated price-wise by a limited availability due to Nvidia and it's channel agents not producing as many as they'd forecast.

Nvidia is delaying the launch of the Geforce 9 series until sometime in winter of 2008. Don't hold your breath just yet. The good news is, if anyone manages to score an 8800 now, they've got about 10 months of vanity before it becomes yesterday's hardware again.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this is my distraction. EVGA 8800 GTS 512 in an Antec SLK3000B case.

EVGA 8800GTS 512
8800gts512py9.jpg

Had to move one hard drive down and out of the way. Card is about a half inch too long plus the power cord plugs in the front instead of the top. Also put in a PCP&C power supply to feed the beast. Had to pull the motherboard to fit the power supply in. Replaced the dinky Epox chipset cooler with a SwifTech MCX159 (copper monster) while it was out. Haven't played around with it too much yet. It runs (stock) quiet and cool and looks pretty good on image quality. This was my back up box so it replaces a cheapie X1300. My other box has an old 9800Pro. Let me tell you the new power supply stinks a lot worse than the old Antec did. Note to self: upgrade computer in the summer from now on when you can open the windows wide.

For all you ancient Win2K users here's the link to the Crysis fix:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-90831-Crysis-Win2K-Fix.html

Last edited: