Wolfeyes recommendations?

cjaldea

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I'm new here so if this should have been posted in another forum I'm sorry. Right now I'm looking at getting a couple new lights, probably leds. I work midnights as a police officer and with a few hundred dollars in uniform/equipment allowance I'm lookin to buy!! At first I planned on putting a new led bulb in my old surefire 6P and keeping my old streamlight sl-20x as primary, but since seein all the information on this site I'm not sure. I never knew there are so many good quality (apparently) lights out there. So here is my dilemma. I have been looking heavily at getting a couple wolf eyes lights, specifically either a raider or sniper cree led rechargeable for my belt light and a new thunder as my primary light. I just want to know some comments on that. I don't want to insult anyone, but are WE lights high quality and able to stand up to day to day use like that?? Preferable it would be nice to hear from a couple of cops who use em and like them. Finally, if anyone out there has any other suggesstions about other lights I may want to take a look at I would greatly appreciate it. Like I said, there is so much info it is hard to sort through it sometimes.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one cop on CPF who uses Wolf Eyes and has good things to say about them, so I won't speak for him.

I am an afternoon/evening shift LEO and use the Wolf Eyes Boxer. It's a little different because it is High Intensity Discharge. I've dropped it a few times, taken it into the ocean, and except for the slightly loose prongs on the recharging pack (can only be charged in a tight outlet like a power strip), it hasn't had any problems.

I am not specifically recommending the Boxer due to its size, cost and warm up time, but this Wolf Eyes light has done OK for me.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf eyes make some decent lights in my opinion. There have been a couple LEOs who said they carry Raiders. Myself, I like my sniper, and have gotten to play with a lot of other WE lights and I have favorable impressions from the experience with their Incan and LED offerings. I haven't paid much attention to their HID lights.
Wolf Eyes are just getting their newest brightest Cree Q5 LEDs out. A Q5 Thunder should be darned impressive, and what's even better is you can now select what kind of modes you want with it. So you can just get a 1-mode version that has a simple on and off; a good thing for LEOs imho.

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
Wolf eyes make some decent lights in my opinion. There have been a couple LEOs who said they carry Raiders. Myself, I like my sniper, and have gotten to play with a lot of other WE lights and I have favorable impressions from the experience with their Incan and LED offerings. I haven't paid much attention to their HID lights.
Wolf Eyes are just getting their newest brightest Cree Q5 LEDs out. A Q5 Thunder should be darned impressive, and what's even better is you can now select what kind of modes you want with it. So you can just get a 1-mode version that has a simple on and off; a good thing for LEOs imho.

I am not LEO but I made my decision based on two things, home defense and EDC. I was extremely excited about the new WE with two modes, high and low. It offered more flexibility and longer runtimes. However, I did not want a UI where you changed modes via the tailcap clickie. My reason was that even in everyday use, I am constantly using the momentary and not completely turning it on. Most of the time it's less than 3 seconds and rarely do I completely depress the clickie. For most WE's with the new Cree LEDs, this would cause me to constantly cycle thru the modes, which would be extremely frustrating and potentially dangerous if you were in a life or death situation. I believe I found the best of both worlds, the WE Defender II, which allows you to change from high and low via a twist of the head. Now I can keep it on high and when needed switch to low to conserve batteries.

I know there are other manufacturers that offer a similar UI but I like WE's design and durability. I had an explorer (gave to my brother so he can walk his dog at night) which I dropped on concrete several times and other than a few scratches, no damages whatsoever. I like to keep things simple whenever possible and WE does it for me. Keep in mind that not all Defenders can do this so be careful when ordering if you want this option. Of course, if you are looking at the single mode lights, the Sniper or Raider is a great choice. Good luck :twothumbs

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a good look at the Guider. Nice tight beam with good throw, and the mop reflector gives it some good spill. Get the two level option and you have a great all around light.

Oh yeah, it's rechargeable without taking anything apart, and it can use CR123s in a pinch. Very, very nice little light.

mikehill

Enlightened
Take a good look at the Guider. Nice tight beam with good throw, and the mop reflector gives it some good spill. Get the two level option and you have a great all around light.

Oh yeah, it's rechargeable without taking anything apart, and it can use CR123s in a pinch. Very, very nice little light.

There may be one for sale SH in January ... with a Q5 :D Hope this post is allowed ... :)

heztai

Newly Enlightened
I am a LEO from Canada. I am using the wolf eyes defender...it is heavily built so it is very durable and it feels very solid. I am going to order the Q5 drop in for it. It has a very nice, balance hot spot & flood, which is good very almost everything we do, ie. traffic stops, car search etc...

heztai

Newly Enlightened
BTW...talk to Mike from PTS, he is awesome to deal with and gives great suggestions. He can hook you up with a discount too if you talk to him. Great customer services!

KeeperSD

Enlightened
There is one cop on CPF who uses Wolf Eyes and has good things to say about them, so I won't speak for him.
Only one :nana:

I believe I found the best of both worlds, the WE Defender II, which allows you to change from high and low via a twist of the head. Now I can keep it on high and when needed switch to low to conserve batteries.
If i was to carry a 6 volt light on duty my Defender II would be my choice as well. Using an interface that requires clicking the tail cap isn't ideal for a duty light. IMO The Defender II has the perfect interface as it can be used as a one mode light, however with a quick twist it can be used in situations that require less light, say writing a traffic ticket or situations that require longer runtimes.

I use Wolf Eyes every day at work and highly recomend them. I have carried a Raider everyday for 9 months now without a failure and that includes a few drops here and there and a dunk in the creek. I use the Raider as i prefer the incan light for work, but if you are looking for a LED then you are probably just as well off getting a 6 volt (Sniper, Defender or Guider), the Raider shouldn't be brighter just give you a longer runtime.