Memory Foam Question

meuge

Enlightened
I am going to be moving into a new place in a few weeks, and I was thinking of either getting a regular mattress + memory foam topper, or a whole new foam mattress.

I tried the Sealy "Posteupedic" bed at Sleepy's and it was the most amazing thing I've ever put my face on.

The thing is that I sleep on my stomach, most often without a pillow, and in addition to that I have jaw problems. I was looking for new bedding that would both let me sleep more comfortably, and also provide the support for my face.

I can't possibly afford the brand-name mattress ($2000), but I could probably swing a no-name ($600) one or just get a topper ($150-250).

Does anyone have any experience with the viscoelastic foam bedding that would help me out?

mckevin

Enlightened
I sell the Sealy TruForm and currently sleep on a TempurPedic (we used to sell them). They use (AFAIK) virtually identical spec. foam, and the Sealy is hundreds cheaper.
The toppers tend to use a cheap ~2lb density foam and while they are of course cheaper than a new matt, they are (IMHO) generally used as a stopgap attempt to soften up a hard matt or try to get a few extra years out of a worn out one that needs replacing. Of course, if your old mattress has a large depression in it the topper will do nothing to fix that.

Visco isn't for everyone, and there are trade-offs. They do tend to sleep warmer, and you will have to relearn how to turn over and get up, LOL

While I sleep better (in general) on my visco bed, I honestly prefer the feel of a really good pillowtop innerspring.

If you do go the Sealy route, insist on trying out the 11" before you decide on one!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foam WILL wear out. Those expensive all foam beds will start getting soft in the middle within a few years to the point that they will become uncomfortable. And they won't allow a warranty replacement because while it has become soft, the deflection in the surface won't meet their criteria for a replacement.

I recommend that you do what I did. Get the bottom of the line Select Comfort bed (for the more expensive ones, you are mainly paying for foam) and add a small layer of memory foam to the top. When the foam topper wears out, you throw it away and buy a new one. The bed itself will never wear out and you have the adjustable firmness feature along with the ability to be easily broken down and transported.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a hybrid sealy foam/latex bed that I used through college and loved it - it's still in the house (though twin beds don't go so well for couples)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I generally like the foam mattress sheets that you can place on top of a regular bed. They help me to sleep better. My only complaint so far is that you have to let them out-gas for awhile after opening them, as they have a strong odor that smells sort of like peanut butter.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I generally like the foam mattress sheets that you can place on top of a regular bed. They help me to sleep better. My only complaint so far is that you have to let them out-gas for awhile after opening them, as they have a strong odor that smells sort of like peanut butter.

I agree. We purchased the 3 inch topper and really didn't like it. We ended up giving it to our son, who loves it. My experience is the same as a couple of other posters in that the foam does sleep warmer which is a good thing in the winter months, but not the summer. I have also found that all foam does start weaken after a relatively short period of time leaving a soft spot where you sleep. Warranty won't cover it because it's not all that visible and will not meet their requirements but you can certainly feel it when you're in bed. I now just buy the foam egg crate mats and put them on top of my regular mattress.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
...Get the bottom of the line Select Comfort bed (for the more expensive ones, you are mainly paying for foam) and add a small layer of memory foam to the top. When the foam topper wears out, you throw it away and buy a new one. The bed itself will never wear out and you have the adjustable firmness feature along with the ability to be easily broken down and transported.

I've had the same experiences. I've had numerous surgeries after a serious injury and wasn't able to sleep comfortably or sometimes at all on the same mattress night after night. The nice thing about the Select Comfort is that I can change it to suit my needs and my needs often change.

Top of the line name brand conventional and custom made box spring mattresses just weren't working for me. And some of them would sink in the middle after a few years of use. I've also had a Tempur Pedic which I sometimes liked, but it was too warm for me during the summers. And I had durability problems with the Tempur foam, but I understand they've since improved the durability of their foam years ago.

I've now been sleeping on Select Comfort mattresses for more than a dozen years and I'm still very happy with these mattresses and recommend them to anyone. Our Cal king in the master was a top of the line model when we bought it, but all our other Select Comfort beds are the basic models and I'm very happy with them. Besides the Select Comfort in our master, we have two for the kids, one for our motorhome and one in our 2nd family room from which I'm lying on now while typing this post.

There are all kinds of foam toppers to choose from and I've tried various brands with varying success, but we've been happy with Bergad's Isoform foam toppers on some of our Select Comfort's. They make their own foams and you can choose from various densities (2.5 - 9 lb) and firmness to suit your needs. The Tempur foam is 5.34 lb density for reference. I can't remember what I chose for the Bergad foam (it's been years), but I believe it was close to this number.

http://www.isoform.com/mattressespa...-23_25.html?osCsid=4kbu4q2lgni2vsikjft3rkmag3

http://www.bergad.com/

If you do go the foam topper route, make sure they offer a money back guarantee. And make sure they cover shipping charges if you have to return it because the foam toppers can be heavy and quite expensive to ship back if you have to do it on your own nickle.